Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
People need to explain to me why they think "Guards" are such a safe pick in the 1st round? I already mentioned Cooper and Warmack who have bounced around but the last two guards drafted in the 1st round have been

2016 49ers Joshua Garnett - Mixed reviews and hurt
2015 Lions Laken Tomlinson - Traded to 49ers for a 5th round pick.

IMO, drafting a Guard in the 1st round isn't safe at all. The success of the position is so random it seems. UDFA guards have gone on to have HOF careers. You are better off looking for guard prospects in the middle rounds.

ctree5454

Liked Posts:
Exactly! If the Bears are going to replace Sitton, it will be with a quick footed guard.

I normally don't post but I 100% agree with this and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I have went and watched every game I could find on him and he definitely struggles when asked to pull, get out in front on screens or stretch blocks. If you want someone to move his man off his spot by drive blocking, he can do that with the best of them. If you want athletic guard to fit a certain system, that is not him. He actually reminds me of a less athletic Sitton or a Matt Slauson type of guard.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
R.Pace has made it well known that he likes to go for it with his 1st round pick and try to hit on a player that could be a star. Nelson is the safe pick and i don't see Pace going for the safe pick.

He also make it well know that he drafts for need in the first round.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
Bears fans will always fall in love with the tough guy prospect. All it took was someone posting a video of him putting a guy on the ground. Add in the Notre Dame connection, and he's suddenly a can't-miss prospect who should be taken #1 overall.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Bears fans will always fall in love with the tough guy prospect. All it took was someone posting a video of him putting a guy on the ground. Add in the Notre Dame connection, and he's suddenly a can't-miss prospect who should be taken #1 overall.

Yeah or it could be because he's the best guard prospect in the last 20 years. Wether or not a guard is worth a top 10 pick is certainly a valid discussion. Nelson's ability and upside are not. Sometimes people just seem to like to argue for no reason. If you or anyone can point to literally any actual criticism of his play, let's hear it. His tape is unbelievable.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
Yeah or it could be because he's the best guard prospect in the last 20 years. Wether or not a guard is worth a top 10 pick is certainly a valid discussion. Nelson's ability and upside are not. Sometimes people just seem to like to argue for no reason. If you or anyone can point to literally any actual criticism of his play, let's hear it. His tape is unbelievable.

A few years ago Jonathan Cooper was the best guard prospect in 20 years.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

I'm the furthest thing from a Notre Dame fan, but I am Bears fan. I think Nelson could help the Bears, hence why I don't think taking him at #8 is such a bad thing.

But hey, if I ever need to stay overnight at the house of straw you're building in this post, I hope you'll accommodate me.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nelson looks like a guard that once he gets his mitts on someone its over. I don't see how anyone can say he is on Kyle Long's level as a pulling guard though. He's not as athletic as Long at pulling and he looks brutally slow at doing so. I like him but I wouldn't go as far as to say he's better or as good at pulling as Long has shown.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
That is a specious argument. Talk about Nelson.

Like all guards, no way in hell worth a top 10 pick. Nelson included. Definitely not to the same extreme..but it's almost akin to Kicker...no matter who damn good they are it's tough to justify taken them THAT high.

Unless I was promised the guard would be Steve Hutchinson. Closest thing to a game changer at the guard position as I have seen.

Nick80

Liked Posts:

His highlight tape?

I'm okay with him at #20.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
DTw0qTuU0AAwk-J.jpg:large

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Like all guards, no way in hell worth a top 10 pick. Nelson included. Definitely not to the same extreme..but it's almost akin to Kicker...no matter who damn good they are it's tough to justify taken them THAT high.

Unless I was promised the guard would be Steve Hutchinson. Closest thing to a game changer at the guard position as I have seen.

I don't disagree with that at all. Personally, I think he is on Steve Hutchinson 's level as a prospect, but I'm not convinced any guard is worth a top 10 pick. I would not be upset if they take him, because he is a rare prospect. A lot will also depend on what the Bears do in free agency and who else is on the board. I would take Nelson over any receiver in this draft at 8 though.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know the positional value thing burns him.

But I would love to roll out an OL and DL that are just full of big ass kickers. Our DL with Goldman and Hicks already have some big ass kickers.

Adding Nelson to the OL would give them a big, mean ass kicker. If someone takes a roughing the passer it will be a race between Kyle Long and Nelson to see who gets kicked out of the game first.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
1/6/18: Nelson dominated for Notre Dame in 2017, showing the ability to overwhelm defensive linemen as a run blocker and pass protector. After surveying sources from around the league, including multiple general managers, Nelson is a consensus elite prospect for the 2018 NFL Draft. However, he might go behind lesser prospects in the draft just because he is a guard and many teams don't value guards that high.

Nelson is the most talented and polished offensive lineman in the 2018 NFL Draft class, regardless of position. He also is one of the safest prospects in the draft class. Some team sources think that Nelson could be the best guard in the NFL during his pro career and could be better than former Patriots All-Pro Logan Mankins. Some have higher grades on Nelson than they did on Mankins, David DeCastro and Brandon Scherff.

7/17/17: Nelson was dominant in 2016 and could have been a first-round pick if he had entered the 2017 NFL Draft. Nelson is strong at the point of attack to open holes in the ground game and athletic in pass protection. He was excellent at protecting quarterback DeShone Kizer in 2016. Sources said that Nelson was receiving first-round grades, and one national scout told WalterFootball.com that they think Nelson is a future Pro Bowler similar to Logan Mankins when he came into the NFL.

Nelson broke into the starting lineup as a sophomore and did an impressive job of opening holes for C.J. Prosise. As a freshman in 2014, Nelson was on the scout team. Going into the 2017 season, he is a true senior who has really impressed NFL scouts.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OG.php#eKfoKwjHK2qugP1k.99

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you take Nelson at 8 you need to be prepared for 2 things

1. You are not addressing at least 1 of your pressing needs.

2. You are probably going to ignore the defense until day 3.