With the #8 pick in the draft, the Bears select the 2nd coming of DeMarcus Ware

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
EDGE Marcus Davenport (UTSA) 6’7” 256 lbs

UIMxVN.gif

Yes, Davenport played at a small school with seemingly lower competition. But so did Ware when he was in college. Some people will not be able to get over that fact, but all the attributes are there on display every single game no matter the competition.

Davenport is an absolute freak of nature athletically. He was actually converted from a WR if you could believe that. With his huge frame he could easily put on more mass if he needs to. Physically and athletically, Davenport could be the highest ceiling player in the NFL.

UTSA plays a 3-4 defense, but Davenport is not used like a conventional OLB. He’s usually lined up in a stand up stance all alone on the left side of the line. While traditional OLB’s have a 5 tech next to them to take on an initial block from the OT or to cover the inside run, Davenport is held responsible for the entire left side the line.

This means that he’s the RT’s sole responsibility and the RG can easily come help with a double team. This also means that Davenport is responsible for any inside runs to his side. He has to show incredible discipline to cover the run as well as trying to get around the corner to rush the QB. He cannot line up wide like most OLB’s have the luxury of doing. But none of this even matters, because Davenport is virtually unblockable either way. And he’s equally as great against the run as rushing the QB.

Length/Hands

Because of his freakish length, Davenport easily keeps offensive linemen off of him at the point of impact. Rarely could an offensive tackle get into Davenport’s body because of his long arms. And when he got his arms on you, he knew what to do.

Here, Davenport effortlessly keeps the RT off of him with his long arms, and then he drops him to the ground. The OT should have faked an injury and get carted off the field as far away from Davenport as possible...

LENGTH #1

If he doesn’t get to the QB, he well contest the pass with those long arms and 6’7” frame...

LENGTH #2

The combination of first step acceleration, length, and hand usage is on display here...

LENGTH #3

Here again the RT just can’t get anywhere near Davenport...

LENGTH #4

Power

Davenport is not the biggest guy in the world at 256 lbs, but the power he generates is nothing short of remarkable.

Here Davenport beats the LT right at the point of impact and drives him violently into the QB...

POWER #1

Here is an initial double team that Davenport just powers right through...

POWER #2

This time Davenport takes on the guard and almost drops him on his ass...

POWER #3

Here Davenport craters the entire right side of the offensive line...

POWER #4

Speed

When Davenport is not going through blockers, he uses his incredible first step acceleration to get around them and his sheer speed to get to ball carriers.

Here Davenport gets to the RB before the QB even has a chance to hand it off to him...

SPEED #1

This is one of those plays that you just have to see to believe. It also highlights his discipline against the run...

SPEED #2

Davenport speed rushes right by the RT...

SPEED #3

Demonstrating his ridiculous closing speed...

SPEED #4

Motor

Davenport is relentless. He will not stop until he gets to the ball carrier. His will and determination is impressive. This is something coaches will fall in love with.

I couldn’t help but just laugh after watching this play. Davenport comes screaming through the interior of the offensive line, misses the sack and falls 5 yards behind the QB, but gets back up and is in on the tackle of the QB scrambling out of the pocket. LOL...

MOTOR #1

Relentless pursuit of the qb...

MOTOR #2

No matter how many blockers you put in front of him, Davenport will not stop working...

MOTOR #3

Bottom line

Yes, this is a risky pick, but the rewards could be great. Davenport has all the talent to be able to terrorize NFL Qb’s.

pgvnQj.gif

Last edited:

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What are the odds this guy rises up draft boards because of the combine and goes before Chubb?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Excellent write up. Just want to give that a shout out because reading and watching this was a great way to start my day.

I'm not usually for small school players so high, if only because we don't get to see a lot of film against top competition. But hey, if Fangio says this is the guy, and that he can be turned into a pro difference maker, then I won't complain. We won't get to the playoffs if we can't put guys like Aaron Rodgers in the dirt

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Agree. He's a freak and hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential. He has no idea what he's doing technically and still has a profound impact on the game. He's got Aldon Smith, Julius Peppers potential. Explosive, long, and flexible. Obviously a long way away from either of those guys, but he's really talented.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
if you end of being right about this we need to have a blanket party for whomever didn't turn over their POTY trophy to you. I'm talking beaten with radiator hoses (doesn't leave a mark but extremely painful)

Speed

Liked Posts:
I'm all for Fangio getting a new toy as long as he stands on the table for that pick.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
Nice write up, elite athlete and frame with a high ceiling.

He posted 4.5 tackles for loss and 3 sacks in outings against Arizona, Kansas State, Texas A&M, and Baylor while at UT-San Antonio. I don't know about Arizona and Baylor, but the LT's for Kansas State and A&M are both legit NFL prospects.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yep, if he dominates the Senior Bowl he could even go higher than 8. He's been at 14 in a few mocks lately so he's clearly on everyone's radar. A big time Senior Bowl will shoot him even higher.

Most likely he'll go at #7 and be a HOF player.... :lol:

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
excellent work on the gifs as always

this guy could definitely fill mcphee’s spot and be the power rusher we need opposite floyd’s speed rush.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Harold Landry seems to be dropping a bit.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
that 1st play was a penalty on him. He obviously grabbed his facemask and used it to dump him. The OT immediately grabs his facemask because of it.

He looks really exciting in the other videos.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Jan 27th (Senior Bowl) will be a big day for davenport...there is some talent at offensive tackle so we'll see how davenport does.

exactly. I would have liked to seen more sacks from him playing in the weak C-USA. Lets see how he performs against a couple of tackles who might make an NFL team.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
How does he only weigh 256? He looks like he's 280

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Don't sleep on the Edmunds kid from V-Tech. He's starting to climb up some draft boards. I do like Davenport as well and I think he was even in the 1st round of Kipers mock he did yesterday. He could be a beast in the NFL.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And Pace isn’t afraid of small school players....so, maybe?