Bears 'brainstorming' cutting-edge offense for Trubisky

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/matt_nagy_mark_helfrich_mitch_trubisky/amp/

A new world order: Bears ‘brainstorming’ cutting-edge offense for Mitch Trubisky

On Oct. 2, 2010, Vic Fangio learned something about Mark Helfrich’s offensive philosophy. It was a lesson learned through a drubbing.

As Stanford’s defensive coordinator that season, it was Fangio’s job to slow down Oregon’s fast-paced spread offense, which was coordinated by Helfrich and called by then-coach Chip Kelly.

‘‘They were ahead of their time at that point,’’ said Fangio, the Bears’ defensive coordinator.

And the Ducks were ahead on the scoreboard, outscoring the Cardinal by 28 points in the second half en route to a 52-31 victory. It was Stanford’s only loss during a 12-1 season. Fangio’s defense pitched three shutouts that season in Pac-12 play.

Oregon’s impressive run eventually ended in a 22-19 loss to Auburn and quarterback Cam Newton in the BCS Championship Game.

‘‘They were at the no-huddle at a high-speed pace,’’ Fangio said. ‘‘The game was spread out more. They had — I don’t want to say an X and O advantage, but a method advantage that people hadn’t caught up to yet at that point. And they had good players doing it.

‘‘Now more and more people are doing it. It’s still a good scheme; it still has its good and bad points. But at that point, the newness was still in their favor.’’

But it will be new to the Bears. In fact, everything on offense will be under coach Matt Nagy and coordinator Helfrich. They don’t quite know what they’re building for quarterback Mitch Trubisky and Co., but they want to attack. They want to be innovative. They want to be cutting-edge.
It’s a playbook that will evolve through Trubisky’s successes and failures. But it’s safe to say it will be a more diverse approach because of all the influences Nagy and Helfrich bring with them.

Nagy learned the West Coast offense under Chiefs coach Andy Reid, but he said the Chiefs also implemented ‘‘some of the college stuff,’’ which included run-pass options. They wanted to be ‘‘new wave.’’

‘‘We were trying to be a little bit out of the box,’’ Nagy said.

Helfrich stood out to Nagy because of his experience with run-pass options at Oregon, where he was the offensive coordinator in 2009-12 and coach in 2013-16.

But Helfrich also spent eight years with Buccaneers coach Dirk Koetter as his quarterbacks coach at Boise State and Arizona State. Koetter is a disciple of the ‘‘Air Coryell’’ system, a vertical passing attack.

Helfrich certainly faces an adjustment coming from college. But the NFL now is full of versions of spread offenses that have proliferated throughout college. That’s why Helfrich’s pairing with Nagy is an intriguing one.

‘‘You’ve seen what someone called ‘the trickle-up effect’ of college football to the NFL,’’ Helfrich said.

In a way, the Bears have been here before. Marc Trestman was hired after Lovie Smith to modernize the offense for Jay Cutler, but everything failed miserably.

There are important differences to consider, though, whether it’s the hiring process that landed Nagy and his staff, Nagy’s temperament compared to Trestman’s, the Bears’ ability to retain Fangio for the defense or the relatively blank slate that is Trubisky.

Helfrich also is a former quarterback who played a role in Marcus Mariota’s emergence and who has a reputation as an innovator. Aaron Kromer, who was Trestman’s offensive coordinator, previously had worked with the offensive line.

It’s early, but Nagy sounds open-minded to everything. He wants to learn from Helfrich, and Helfrich wants to learn from him. They have lots of ideas, and building an offense for Trubisky will be a collaborative effort.

Helfrich described the Bears’ offense as in an ‘‘infantile stage’’; Nagy said they’re still ‘‘brainstorming.’’

‘‘For us, that’s the fun part,’’ Nagy said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Bears offense doesn’t know what it’s doing. What’s new?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Not surprised. Sounds like we are going to move trubisky out of the pocket a lot and let him use his feet which he excels at. I’m pretty confident these two will make trubisky one of the best young qbs in the nfl because they will adapt the playbook to his strengths via innovative ways.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Nagy should just do what he did in KC with the exception of getting pass happy at the end of games with big leads.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’m calling Trubisky’s stat line now

3800 yards 26 tds 11 ints 62% completion rate

And

375ish yards rushing.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just hope 'cutting edge' means score more then 14 points and I'll be thrilled.

If they can move the ball better to reach the red zone, they're surprisingly good at scoring when they get there. Despite missing better receivers. So that would be the major improvement necessary.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sounds like they're going to play to Trubisky's strengths rather than try to make him a pocket passer. Smart.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

And

375ish yards rushing.

sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.u2.png

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like they're going to play to Trubisky's strengths rather than try to make him a pocket passer. Smart.

For years we had people trying to fit our offense into a system no matter the QB...........bout time

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
What's this? I thought we were going to run the Chiefs offense...lol

We'll probably have elements of the Chiefs offense.

But why would you hire people to run another team's offense?

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:

Nothing seems smart like teaching a QB to run instead of passing from the pocket. Maybe they should simplify his reads too while they are at it and run lots of read option.

Bound to end well.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:

And

375ish yards rushing.

I would be very excited if we got that kind of season.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Holy shit. Do you schmucks even realize that run pass option plays aren't exclusively a run or pass for the quarterback? Its a run pass option to hand off the ball too. Its almost like you've never heard of packaged plays even though Trestman ran them years ago. Then again meatballs don't learn anything.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nothing seems smart like teaching a QB to run instead of passing from the pocket. Maybe they should simplify his reads too while they are at it and run lots of read option.

Bound to end well.

He isn't good in the pocket. His presence and footwork are poor. Who knows how long it would take to fix these things, if ever? At least this way he can hit the ground running.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
He isn't good in the pocket. His presence and footwork are poor. Who knows how long it would take to fix these things, if ever? At least this way he can hit the ground running.

If he can’t improve his game in the pocket he honestly isn’t worth keeping. I’d rather at least try to see how he can perform in the pocket going forward. The team will get short term success asking him to move around more, but he won’t be a top ten guy if he doesn’t get better in the most important area for the QB to play from.