My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
[video=youtube;M7dvnl9AtP8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7dvnl9AtP8[/video]

I do not give two shits about steroids. This summer saved baseball. One of the coolest baseball moments I witnessed. McGwire and Sosa being on the field at the same time is priceless.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Buy the Cubs and make the rules then.

The person with the power makes the decisions

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

I do not give two shits about steroids. This summer saved baseball. One of the coolest baseball moments I witnessed. McGwire and Sosa being on the field at the same time is priceless.

That brought the fans back to baseball after the bullshit strike. I think that is the bigger issue, that these two guys deserve credit for bringing the human emotion back to the game. Without these two its all about a bloody sock.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I give shits about steroids but it's silly to hold it against him at the team level. There's nothing controversial about bringing him back as a Cubs legend from time to time ].

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
I give shits about steroids but it's silly to hold it against him at the team level. There's nothing controversial about bringing him back as a Cubs legend from time to time ].

You care about steroids, but the team shouldn't? That doesn't track.

If the team's fans care about steroids, shouldn't the ownership, too?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I doubt steroids is the reason that moron hasn't been asked back....getting caught with a corked bat (then blaming an equipment guy for it), walking out on the team (which equates to walking out not only on teammates but his fans as well) and of course, who could forget his embarrassing act in court feigning English comprehension. The guy is a self centered dick and a phony which the Cubs hierarchy gleefully avoids like a plague.

smknivy420

Liked Posts:
yet they hire Manny "look at me, Manny being Manny" Ramirez who was busted twice and suspended twice for Steroids, once for 50 games and once for 100 games to be their minor league hitting coach.

I think Ricketts and co. are the ones who truly "need to come clean" as to the reasons they don't wanna welcome back Sammy instead of looking like imbeciles when they have a guy like Manny in the organization.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Good point. Then again, Manny eventually owned up to his transgressions -- well, okay, he sort of didn't have a choice. Sammy's official defense was "I can't answer your questions, I don't speak English." Rather a difference there.

I'm on the fence, myself. I liked Sammy as a player, and as many have noted, not only did his hitting and power improve over time (possible due to PEDs), but his OBP went up. I've had to take steroids myself, for medical reasons, on a number of occasions, and while they make you feel you can do ANYTHING, they don't -- by nature -- make you feel more patient. Quite the opposite, they make you feel more aggressive. A LOT more aggressive.

Some guys, you could tell they were on PEDs because they swung at everything that came anywhere near the plate, and managed to hit a lot of it for power. Sosa was an exception. He got better at his patience and selectivity, which isn't a classic reaction to steroids. He didn't just hit everything, including balls way off the plate, for power -- he was patient enough to make the pitchers come over the plate, and then he hit them out of the park. That's how mere mortals have to do it; guys on PEDs didn't, in general, feel that they need to wait for the pitcher to serve up the pitch they wanted, they hit whatever they got.

So, from the point of view of the Ricketts family, I think it's more a matter of having been fully honest with the public, not whether or not you actually took PEDs as a player. Maybe Sosa thinks he has been fully honest, and maybe he has. But if he hasn't, and that's a fair likelihood, then it's within the ownership's rights not to have him represent the club in any capacity.

Again, YMMV.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
You care about steroids, but the team shouldn't? That doesn't track.

If the team's fans care about steroids, shouldn't the ownership, too?
I care about steroids in the sense that I don't want him in the hall of fame but I just consider that honor so different from the Cubs acknowledging him being an important Cub.

What does it mean to "welcome Sosa back"? Throw out a first pitch and have him appear at a few Cubs conventions? I think that's cool and would be an easy decision. Unfortunately my 0% ownership stake doesn't hold much weight lol

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I care about steroids in the sense that I don't want him in the hall of fame but I just consider that honor so different from the Cubs acknowledging him being an important Cub.

What does it mean to "welcome Sosa back"? Throw out a first pitch and have him appear at a few Cubs conventions? I think that's cool and would be an easy decision. Unfortunately my 0% ownership stake doesn't hold much weight lol

Lol

Honestly he was a great clown act on some very crappy teams. Sitting on the 3B box seats were an adventure with his incoming scud’s

I remember his gold stop sign around his neck when he pulled a 30/30. Was waiting for the rollers to pull him over and make him put it back.

But in all seriousness I can’t take him as such. Dude was a clown that decided that looking white was a great idea.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is comical. Sammy was the Cubs for years. Wasnt his fault we had clowns for ownership. As for roids, I guarantee there are a ton in the hall that took them that no one thinks. Sammy was a bad man and brought excitement to Wrigley. He ended on a prick note but for Ricketts to tell him to admit it is terrible. Its petty and childish. Sammy and McGwire brought the country to their feet in the *98 race. Baseball may be the NHL if it wasnt for them. During that time, I would say it is fair to say 50% plus did roids and I am being super generous. They didnt do what Sammy did.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He had talent for sure. But he was a one trick pony and that trick was hitting long HR's. Every other asset of of his game was subpar.

And it is true. Great arm but it was going into the stands up the line. But big arms matter.

Was a 30/30 guy and yes he had a big gold 30/30 hanging from his neck. That happened before he put on even more weight and the SB's were a thing of the past. He came up in Texas' system when that team was doping Palmero etc. Got to figure the whole system was durty back then.

The thing is he was not a class act. You take away his only asset, which was faked, he has nothing.

Ya the Trib sucked in general. The paid him to draw the fans in. It was him and Grace for years. They wouldn't pay Maddux and he left. Traded for Sammy and rode him like a show mule. Sammy was dumb enough to be the solo act. And the fans ate it up until 1998. Then they were in love with breaking records. 20K/60 HR etc.

Honestly Ricketts doesn't have to let him in. Just based off of him pulling his stunt that forced them trading him for Fontnot. I would put it along side inviting Z also for being a great Gatorade machine smasher.

It is a event for the fans and who are you going to present. Guys that were cheating and armed and dangerous? Not really something to glorify.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I doubt steroids is the reason that moron hasn't been asked back....getting caught with a corked bat (then blaming an equipment guy for it), walking out on the team (which equates to walking out not only on teammates but his fans as well) and of course, who could forget his embarrassing act in court feigning English comprehension. The guy is a self centered dick and a phony which the Cubs hierarchy gleefully avoids like a plague.

/End thread

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
yet they hire Manny "look at me, Manny being Manny" Ramirez who was busted twice and suspended twice for Steroids, once for 50 games and once for 100 games to be their minor league hitting coach.

I think Ricketts and co. are the ones who truly "need to come clean" as to the reasons they don't wanna welcome back Sammy instead of looking like imbeciles when they have a guy like Manny in the organization.

Sammy is the only one who has looked like an imbecile. Quit focusing only on the steroids. Corked bat, sudden losing the ability to speak English, walking out on the team and fans and basically not owning up to his mistakes. Sammy thought he was bigger than the Cubs and basically bigger than the game, he found out that was not the case and now he wants back in.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys remember when Sosa hit #63 in a standing room sell out at San Diego. That’s probably the loudest and fullest that stadium has ever bean, and it was for the visitor. Sammy Sosa should have legend status, what a shame.

[video=youtube_share;GaYTHrAXol0]https://youtu.be/GaYTHrAXol0[/video]

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
You guys can hate on Sosa (and McGwire) all you want. Fact is, it's hypocritical. They brought the fans back. Baseball was seriously on the brink because of the strike. They had no problem looking the other way. You had no problem looking away. Now everyone acts appalled at the players' actions.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys can hate on Sosa (and McGwire) all you want. Fact is, it's hypocritical. They brought the fans back. Baseball was seriously on the brink because of the strike. They had no problem looking the other way. You had no problem looking away. Now everyone acts appalled at the players' actions.
I respectfully disagree. I came back to baseball that summer like everyone else, but when I found out I'd been played for a sucker I lost interest and stayed away for about the next ten years.

I get PEDs are part of pro (and amateur) sports and if you want purity you need a different hobby. Still to me, exceptional talents like Rose who smear their shit on baseball, or guys like Sosa who would be average without chemical help make me less not more interested.

Sent from hell, or possibly Albuquerque.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
You are not the majority. Many people knew, or at least suspected. There's no way baseball didn't know. It brought fans back, and the game is better because of the roid era and the consequent fall out from the feigned outrage.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
No, it's Sosa not admitting to steroids.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

That whole thing now makes me barf.

Sosa kissy-kissy with an opponent. McGwire patting himself on the back at every opportunity. Both cheaters, liars and egomaniacs. No thanks.