EDIT: original video was deleted.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I don't get why carrying the ball is considered a highlight. It wasn't that long ago that nearly every Kyrie iso drive would have consistently been called a travel.

belikemike23

Liked Posts:
I don't get why carrying the ball is considered a highlight. It wasn't that long ago that nearly every Kyrie iso drive would have consistently been called a travel.

Well he is pretty much the closest thing to a "Ball-Handling Virtuoso".. don't know why anyone would want to criticize him for his dribbles...

Perhaps the fact that he believes the earth is flat is more fit for negativity :D

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Carrying the ball is illegal. It's only because the refs stopped calling certain travels that he is able to get away with it. That doesn't make him a virtuoso or anywhere near it. Pistol Pete was a virtuoso in this sense, and he's from before my time. Not Kyrie Irving (who is still elite, don't get me wrong). I'm not a hater, but if the refs started calling those travels, all of these highlights would be just garbage.

At least you're not posting crappy videos of LeBron's serial travels and flops as highlights.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Carrying the ball is illegal. It's only because the refs stopped calling certain travels that he is able to get away with it. That doesn't make him a virtuoso or anywhere near it. Pistol Pete was a virtuoso in this sense, and he's from before my time. Not Kyrie Irving (who is still elite, don't get me wrong). I'm not a hater, but if the refs started calling those travels, all of these highlights would be just garbage.

At least you're not posting crappy videos of LeBron's serial travels and flops as highlights.

There was a certain #23 that was as instrumental as anyone as to carrying the ball without getting called for it.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
There was a certain #23 that was as instrumental as anyone as to carrying the ball without getting called for it.

Yeah. LeBron.

Jordan didn't come anywhere near as close as these guys do now, because it would get called, even with the superstar treatment. Jordan was whistled for palming, refs didn't let that shit go most of the time. He also rarely scooped, which unlike palming, is dead obvious and blatantly easy to call.

Rose on the other hand, he scooped too. Just nowhere near as often as Kyrie. Virtuoso my ass.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What came first?

Did the refs allow the coop because there were too many doing so to police or did they police it less so people started scooping more often?

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Well the early 2000's everybody thought they were and-1.

Iverson made a living out of palming.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
What came first?

Did the refs allow the coop because there were too many doing so to police or did they police it less so people started scooping more often?

They cracked down sometime around 2000 and players threw fits. AFAIK the league didn't really publicize much about enforcement afterwards. But IMO, those unwritten 'Iverson rules' need to be corrected, because it just keeps evolving to the point you have guys like Kyrie who doesn't even need the slow-motion replay to see him blatantly lifting the ball.

I'm not trying to hate on Kyrie, but got dam, if someone wants to make a highlight video of guys that are using illegal moves... someone needs to call them on it. When the league seldomly enforces 3 steps, then players start to get away with 4 steps. When the league seldomly enforces 3 second violations, then players park for 5+ seconds. When they seldomly enforce super obvious and blatant travels... this happens, people praise the "virtuoso" for "skill".

belikemike23

Liked Posts:
@Crystallas.. You keep on quoting "virtuoso". I said he is the "closest thing to a ball-handling virtuoso." I think that's a fair statement. It's either him or Curry at this point it seems.

Let me ask you this.. Who do you think is the best ball-handler right now?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Ricky Rubio is pretty much the best ball handler in the league by a far margin. Now don't be brain dead and confuse that with me saying Ricky Rubio is a good point guard, or me saying he's a ball-handling virtuoso. But Rubio would be as good of a ball handler with the rules enforced or not with a much lower rate of carrying the ball. Where 9/10 of Kyrie's highlights are ILLEGAL moves.

You can try all you want to defend rule violations, but that doesn't change the fact that they *are indeed* rule violations.

Kyrie, Curry, Kemba get away with scooping and carrying the ball at an absolutely alarming rate.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Ricky Rubio is pretty much the best ball handler in the league by a far margin. Now don't be brain dead and confuse that with me saying Ricky Rubio is a good point guard, or me saying he's a ball-handling virtuoso. But Rubio would be as good of a ball handler with the rules enforced or not with a much lower rate of carrying the ball. Where 9/10 of Kyrie's highlights are ILLEGAL moves.

You can try all you want to defend rule violations, but that doesn't change the fact that they *are indeed* rule violations.

Kyrie, Curry, Kemba get away with scooping and carrying the ball at an absolutely alarming rate.

I agree. Can’t leave Durant out of that list either as he may be the biggest perpetrator. The side to side scoop/swoop he does is laughable.