2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
People lose their motivation when given too much too early

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
People lose their motivation when given too much too early

...except that doesn't seem to be the case with Appel. He hung around for five years through two organizations and busted his ass trying to make it work. It didn't, and its surprising that everyone missed so badly on him given how much baseball scouting has improved in the past decade. I haven't seen any articles that really explain why.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
All I have to say is: passing on him for Almora: not controversial any more.

I honestly believe that he was a bust. It happens every year but sense he had a controversial history it is being glorified.

I’ll shelf him with Rich Hill and Mark Prior. Prior was injured. Hill had to grow up as a person and dedicate himself to conditioning his lower half to find his potential.

It could be just something simple as that. He found the talent easy to beat then as the challenge increased he did not do what it took to adapt and improve. Hearing how he is going to fall back on a BA...ya good luck with that nowadays...

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I thought he would have been different if he went out that first year. He refused to sign after he was drafted 8th by pittsburg in 2012, you wonder what would have happened with his career a year earlier and not having the pressure of being the first over all.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
...except that doesn't seem to be the case with Appel. He hung around for five years through two organizations and busted his ass trying to make it work. It didn't, and its surprising that everyone missed so badly on him given how much baseball scouting has improved in the past decade. I haven't seen any articles that really explain why.

Heard the author of the story on the radio yesterday. Apparently he went crazy one time during a minor league start and was whipping 100 mph fastballs at pieces of wood in the clubhouse. After about 80 of them, he was like, "I probably could be happier doing something else."

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Heard the author of the story on the radio yesterday. Apparently he went crazy one time during a minor league start and was whipping 100 mph fastballs at pieces of wood in the clubhouse. After about 80 of them, he was like, "I probably could be happier doing something else."

Apparently that story was in the article. I thought it was just an anecdote he saved for interviews.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
My takeaway from this article? Never assume Harold Reynolds knows what he's talking about.

"Mark Appel never expected things to go perfectly, but he did expect things to go well. Harold Reynolds said at the 2013 MLB draft that he could be in the big leagues in August, two months later, and Appel, not knowing the level of talent in pro ball, didn't see why that couldn't become reality."

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
My hats off to him. He's a true professional who has lived his faith with the good and the bad.