Who do Bears select at #8 after these FA signings?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Davenport. He's got so much talent at such an important position, I think he fits Fangio's and Pace's profile for first round pick.

Check out the comps between Davenport and Aldon Smith. Very similar, it will be interesting how their combine numbers compare.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Yep, gotta drafr Ridley with that particular offseason. And waiting til the 2nd round hoping a WR you like is still there at #39 is a colossal risk when your WR group is Meredith/Inman/Lee/Wright. The wr position will be Pace’s #1 priority. and If he doesnt upgrade it significantly it will be a huge failure. Now, if he grabs someone like Watkins/Robinson/Landry, he can go strictly BPA.

All of whom I assume wont be available. How do the Bears get a WR who is worth 15mil - draft one, cuz they seldom hit the open market.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Check out the comps between Davenport and Aldon Smith. Very similar, it will be interesting how their combine numbers compare.

I actually did check them while I was writing my post. Smith is longer but I think Davenport will be at least as good in the events.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Aldon Smith was squatting 700 lbs in college.

Davenport's twigs for legs would snap if you put 2 plates on the bar.

The kid has moves and athleticism but he needs to bulk up in the lower body a lot to have the anchor Aldon had.

I think Leonard Floyd is a better comp. Floyd had the benefit of better competition in college and although Floyd is lean, he is lean all over. Davenport has some upper body bulk but must skip leg days in the gym. Also does Davenport have Floyd's motor, tenacity, and great character to make him worthy of a top 10 pick?

Pat Kirwan who was at the Senior Bowl compared him to Jason Taylor coming out of college. He said just like Taylor he needs a couple years to bulk up and would not be rushing to draft the guy early in the first.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If Kirwan compare someone to Jason Taylor, and then says that he wouldn't rush to draft them, kinda seems like a logical disconnect there.

Davenport has a good motor (from what I've seen) and on tape his lower body doesn't seem weak. His biggest issue imo is very raw pass rush techniques. Doesn't use his hands very well. But he can drive tackles back with ease.

He's certainly not a sure thing but I just love what he brings in terms of raw talent and effort.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aldon Smith was squatting 700 lbs in college.

Davenport's twigs for legs would snap if you put 2 plates on the bar.

The kid has moves and athleticism but he needs to bulk up in the lower body a lot to have the anchor Aldon had.

I think Leonard Floyd is a better comp. Floyd had the benefit of better competition in college and although Floyd is lean, he is lean all over. Davenport has some upper body bulk but must skip leg days in the gym. Also does Davenport have Floyd's motor, tenacity, and great character to make him worthy of a top 10 pick?

Pat Kirwan who was at the Senior Bowl compared him to Jason Taylor coming out of college. He said just like Taylor he needs a couple years to bulk up and would not be rushing to draft the guy early in the first.

It’s funny you should say that, because Davenport simply overpowers offensive lineman on a regular basis. Imagine what he can do after he does some squats and deadlifts.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you compare someone to Jason Taylor, and then say that you wouldn't rush to draft them, kinda seems like a logical disconnect there.

Davenport has a good motor (from what I've seen) and on tape his lower body doesn't seem weak. His biggest issue imo is very raw pass rush techniques. Doesn't use his hands very well. But he can drive tackles back with ease.

He's certainly not a sure thing but I just love what he brings in terms of raw talent and effort.

The Jason Taylor comp was if he reaches his ceiling, and of course if he reaches that status he should be the #1 pick. The question a team like the Bears must ask themselves if they have such few holes that they can afford to take a high risk high reward guy like this at 8 or if they take a sure thing like Nelson and roll.

Liked Posts:
Ridley. I'd be very happy with Nelson too but I don't buy that he's a better player as a Guard than a top WR like Ridley. I do think the Bears stand a much better chance of getting a talented guard later in the draft than they do if they pass on Ridley & try to get a WR later. The only reason Ridleys production dipped last season & in 2016 was because Alabama was a run heavy offense & he still did well with the opportunities given to him. In 2015 when 'Bama thew the ball a lot more he did have the type of 1000+ yard production that turns eyes.

I'd be good with Nelson but I would love to see the Bears have their cake & eat it too for a change & be able to trade back & still get a kid that I'd be thrilled with at #8 Ridley who may well slide. My only fear with Ridley is that he's a little lean physically, if he can stay healthy, to me he's a player you can check every box with. Finally I also would like to see the Bears seriously address getting their new QB some quality guns & ammo around him, so to speak, which they haven't done in a very long time with newly acquired QBs.

I'll take Ridley, hopefully in a trade back & if that happens I'd run to the podium with one of the acquired picks to also take Simmie Cobbs Jr. a round or two later. I'd freak out to see Ridley & Cobbs Jr. as the core split end & flank WR.s of this franchise.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
LB
Young – keeping him despite 5mil cap hit because he had a tricep injury and had 2 sacks in 4 games before that. Had 7.5 sacks in 2016, 6.5 in 2015 and 10 in 2014. Averaged 8 sacks/year 2014-2016 and pro rated 2017.
Houston – 1 year deal
Attaochu – 3 year deal

Draft
1 Cleveland – QB
2 NYG – Barkley
3 Indy – Chubb
4 Cleveland – Fitzpatrick
5 Denver – QB
6 NYJ – QB
7 TB – Edmunds

AND, no trade downs!!!
I’m taking Davenport or Key who has been left for dead way too early. Something tells me he’s going to get it back together. His interviews and workouts will be huge.

There are too many WRs that will play well in the NFL to take one at 8.
I'd take Aden Key. Best pure OLB passrusher talent in the draft. I think the question marks will fade by Draft Day.

I'd also be thinking about OL Mike McGlinchey.

I think we have to be looking OLB and OL Rd 1 & 2, but by the time things shakeout to the Draft, I wouldn't be unhappy with BPA in Nelson, Ridley. Josh Jackson.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The Jason Taylor comp was if he reaches his ceiling, and of course if he reaches that status he should be the #1 pick. The question a team like the Bears must ask themselves if they have such few holes that they can afford to take a high risk high reward guy like this at 8 or if they take a sure thing like Nelson and roll.

Yeah that will be a big question. Seems to me like Pace has usually chosen the former thus far. I know we're going with the OP scenario, but I think Tampa would probably take Nelson if it went down like that.

Davenport's also already almost 20 lbs heavier than Taylor when he came into the league, too.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Nelson no brainer

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
In your scenario I would take Quenton Nelson but hopefully the Bears upgrade their OL in free agency so they can take Calvin Ridley at #8

Luke

Liked Posts:
In your scenario I would take Quenton Nelson but hopefully the Bears upgrade their OL in free agency so they can take Calvin Ridley at #8

I did have them strengthening the OL with the Fulton signing. As far as the Nelson pick, I too feel that Pace will not take a guard at #8 especially with so many other holes to fill. Sitton was the 8th ranked guard in 2017 and has been very durable except missing a few games the last 2 seasons. I cant see them cutting him just because he will be 32 and they will not be cutting Long in 2018 either. Although Ridley isn't the greatest value, I too think that's the way they should go at #8. Brooks and Zurelein refer to him as a #1 in their mocks and Jeremiah calls him a top tier #2. I surely don't trust Pace trying to find a top tier WR lower in the draft and I don't see them finding one in FA.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Ridley and would love for the Bears to land him but am gun-shy about taking a receiver in the first round. Since Ridley will get nabbed by someone else, I'm hoping Christian Kirk from Texas A&M slips to the second round. He's strong, has surprising long-speed for his size and runs good routes. Reminds me of a faster Golden Tate. Negatives are really just his height.

[video=youtube_share;Q09BckakhGU]https://youtu.be/Q09BckakhGU?t=14[/video]

Luke

Liked Posts:
Yeah that will be a big question. Seems to me like Pace has usually chosen the former thus far. I know we're going with the OP scenario, but I think Tampa would probably take Nelson if it went down like that.

Davenport's also already almost 20 lbs heavier than Taylor when he came into the league, too.

Tampa was dead last in defense, and 9th in offense. I stand by my selection.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I like Ridley and would love for the Bears to land him but am gun-shy about taking a receiver in the first round. Since Ridley will get nabbed by someone else, I'm hoping Christian Kirk from Texas A&M slips to the second round. He's strong, has surprising long-speed for his size and runs good routes. Reminds me of a faster Golden Tate. Negatives are really just his height.

[video=youtube_share;Q09BckakhGU]https://youtu.be/Q09BckakhGU?t=14[/video]

yeah, I like Kirk as well but believe he s/b long gone by #39. Not a big fan of Sutton maybe Pettis at #39. I don't see the 2nd round as being a "sweet spot for WR" as so many around here say.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Tampa was dead last in defense, and 9th in offense. I stand by my selection.

Wouldn't Edmunds play Lavonte David's role in that defense? I doubt he's going to be a 4-3 DE right off the bat. They do need some serious pass rush help, though, no doubt about that.

Their running game was horrible too.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't Edmunds play Lavonte David's role in that defense? I doubt he's going to be a 4-3 DE right off the bat. They do need some serious pass rush help, though, no doubt about that.

Their running game was horrible too.

Lets see how his combine plays out, I'm guessing teams will be drooling over how to use him. Also, there is the other possibility of Davenport lighting it up which would make it very difficult for TB to pass up. If they both do well, I'd be guessing one would be a Bear.