Friday is first day Bears can pick up 2018 option in Josh Sitton's contract

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-josh-sitton-contract-option-20180209-story,amp.html?__twitter_impression=true&

Does he stay or does he go?

The contract Sitton signed with the Bears in 2016 was for two years and included a team option for 2018 that is worth $8 million.

The Bears must decide on Sitton’s option between Friday and March 9 — five days before the start of the new league year. If they decline the option, Sitton will become an unrestricted free agent. The option calls for a base salary of $7.4 million with $500,000 available in roster bonuses ($31,250 per game) and a $100,000 workout bonus.

Sitton, who turns 32 in June, was selected as a Pro Bowl alternate after the 2016 season and has earned $13 million through the first two years of the deal. A four-time Pro Bowl selection, Sitton missed three games last season, including the final two with an ankle injury. If the Bears release him, they will carry a salary-cap hit of only $666,667 in 2018.

Before the Week 17 finale at Minnesota, Sitton indicated he intended to continue playing.

“I’ve taken things day by day for the past couple years,” he said. “I feel really good. … I definitely see myself playing football for the next couple years. Definitely see myself playing. I don’t feel like this is my last season.”

We should know in the next month if Sitton will be playing in a Bears uniform next season.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nah we need more cap space.

So we can pay.... um who the fuck are we trying to pay this year?

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unless they are positive the can get Q. Nelson you keep him. Maybe keep him anyway.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Unless they are positive the can get Q. Nelson you keep him. Maybe keep him anyway.
Imo, it’d be foolish to have Q. Nelson, Sitton, Long and Whitehair on the roster. You can’t play them all.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Imo, it’d be foolish to have Q. Nelson, Sitton, Long and Whitehair on the roster. You can’t play them all.

Just for grins..... how about Leno, Nelson, Whitehair, Sitton and the winner of Long/Massie?

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Which is why I lead with don’t cut Sitton unless you are sure you can get Nelson. Even given that, the chances of Long and Sitton staying healthy all season are remote; Long may not even be ready for the season opener. I am not advocating Nelson, Sitton, Whitehair and Long. But, from what I have read about Nelson is that he as close to a sure thing in the draft. Can you have too much talent on the o-line? Again, not my first choice in round 1 necessarily but hard to argue with, too.

Last edited:

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
For the love of God, there’s not one damn good reason to cut Sitton. Dude is a badass motherfucker that needs to stay and help Harry coach up the young guys they bring in.

Luke

Liked Posts:
he stays and hopefully end the discussion of taking a guard at 8.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Way too many issues on the line to let Sitton walk.

I wish that his option did not need to be picked up till a couple days into free agency, which would let us sniff around a bit, but that is not an option.

Cut Sitton and watch Long struggle to get onto the field and we are tossing a season.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Just for giggles, starting guards are Sitton and Nelson. Center is Whitehair. Long becomes the backup and, throwing him a few passes per practice, he takes over the Sims spot on the team.

How could he be worse than Sims? Sims is more expensive than Long, Long is a better blocker than Sims even when hurt and Long would be a slightly worse receiver if he had 100% stone hands.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Keep Sitton without a doubt.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Which is why I lead with don’t cut Sitton unless you are sure you can get Nelson. Even given that, the chances of Long and Sitton staying healthy all season are remote; Long may not even be ready for the season opener. I am not advocating Nelson, Sitton, Whitehair and Long. But, from what I have read about Nelson is that he as close to a sure thing in the draft. Can you have too much talent on the o-line? Again, not my first choice in round 1 necessarily but hard to argue with, too.

You can’t be sure of that though. It’s not possible. The Bears have to decide on Sitton’s option before the draft...

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can’t be sure of that though. It’s not possible. The Bears have to decide on Sitton’s option before the draft...

Sure of what, not argu8ng, just don’t know. If you cut Sitton you now make OG a need and draft one, which is o.k but you had better be sure you have the right guy. Miss on on some one and now OG is an issue. That is what I am trying to get across.

Huxster

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm no expert on the oline but having invested in a potential Franchise QB trearing down the pocket in the offseason is not going to help, is it??