Darvish is a Cub!

The-0

Liked Posts:
Huge! Central is locked up for the next two years.

JordanHoward24

Liked Posts:
I'm gonna predict that this is a major bust of a signing.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Darvish was tipping his pitches and Houston has known his tendencies.

Basically when he went to his set position he would have a fastball grip. If he readjusted he was going off speed. He didn’t readjust if he was going fastball. So basically they pretty much knew what was conning.

Well damn. This is going to be a crazy rotation.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
6/$126 with incentives that could bring it to $150

6/$126 is fantastic. That's $21 mil AAV. 6/$150 is like... what people thought he would get before the season at $25 mil AAV. If we assume the incentives are about half way I was basically right putting his value at $23 mil. Either way, think this is a really good deal but I'd like to see how easy the incentives are first before I totally say.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: Chances of Darvish getting to $150M with #Cubs quite slim; would need to win multiple Cy Young awards. His guarantee is $126M over six years, making contract the longest and richest free-agent deal of off-season.

Makes the deal sound better.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
So how much cap is left before luxury territory? Any chance of sneaking in a closer at the trade deadline if needed.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So how much cap is left before luxury territory? Any chance of sneaking in a closer at the trade deadline if needed.

Cot's had them at $32,698,258 under before the Darvish signing. So if we assume for the moment that is -$21 mil you have ~$11.5 mil to play with. However, I have to caution that depending on the incentives you have to factor in additional space because the way those work is if they trigger you have to have accounted for them.

So to answer your question, kind of yes. Clearly you can't go out and trade for Chapman/Jensen but $11 mil would be able to fit someone like Colome. However, they could still add some guys to the roster that aren't currently on it. Gimenez seems likely now that Darvish is in the fold as the back up catcher. I imagine he's only going to get league min but that's ~$500k. And I think Bourjos who if he makes the team has a like $1.5 mil deal as well. So you're likely looking at money being tight.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Their going with Morrow ...

I think their done adding now, maybe an OFer but i still think they go with one of their own..
Hanneman Zagunis Bourjas etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Depends on his year 1 break down. I’m pretty sure they were just under 160 mil and 187 is the break off. Benifits etc are part of the tax thresh hold so have to lower the 197 to include.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Depends on his year 1 break down. I’m pretty sure they were just under 160 mil and 187 is the break off. Benifits etc are part of the tax thresh hold so have to lower the 197 to include.

Year 1 doesn't matter. They count luxury tax based on AAV. Only thing we don't know is how the incentives factor in atm.