Christian Jones at OLB

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
http://www.chicagobears.com/team/depth-chart.html

After looking back at the depth chart I noticed Christian Jones as listed as an OLB. Did he play OLB at the end of last year? I don't remember this at all.

OLB Lamarr Houston Howard Jones
ILB Nick Kwiatkoski Jonathan Anderson
ILB Danny Trevathan John Timu
OLB Sam Acho Christian Jones

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He played there out of desperate need.

We just got him playing well on the inside. Let’s re-sign him and let him stay there.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
He was considered to be depth at both OLB and ILB before last season as I recall. In either event, he is young home grown talent, we should aim to resign him and see if he continues to grow in a consistent defense.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He played there out of desperate need.

We just got him playing well on the inside. Let’s re-sign him and let him stay there.

He's still terrible in coverage after working with Vic Fangio for a few years but he's always done well as a pass rusher.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I always thought Jones would be a great OLB. He was great when blitzing.

He's has the size to play OLB as well at 6'3, 33 1/2 reach.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
In college he played what we would call OLB (though he played in a 4-3), and he played it well. He was a Will LB but they had him do everything, including DE. But he never had high sack totals. His sack totals from Freshman to Senior yr were 3, 3, 0, 2.

Still when Bears switched to 3-4, we assumed they'd try him there (and he did do at least one offseason/TC as OLB, but he didn't play there at all until some the end of this year) as he physically fits the mode. He is fast, has long arms, and is strong. But I'd have to assume all the DC's, including Fangio, have not been impressed with his passrushing skills from OLB, nor his over-all play at OLB.

I'm confident we'll re-sign Jones, primarily as good tackling backup ILB and good ST player. I think the Bears are also fairly confident he can take snaps at OLB. But I have to assume they haven't seen the talent to start there.