Minkah Fitzpatrick there at 8. Do you take him?

PickSix

Liked Posts:
More often than not lately on the fanspeak draft simulator Fitzpatrick is still available at 8. I’ve seen a few other published mocks that have him available as well. The key seems to be the NYG selecting a QB and Clev grabbing a QB and Barkley.
So what is this guy? S or CB? Or will he be Pro Bowl at either?
Assuming Fuller is still here and the choice is between Fitzpatrick, Nelson, Davenport or Ridley....who are you selecting?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Minkah is an interesting player. I thought early on in the process he could be a full-time CB but it seems like scouts have some concerns about his hips and his lateral movement. I think if he were a CB in a heavy Zone system like Lovie's Cover 2 or the Steeler's zone blitz scheme he could do real well but you can't ask him to cover top WR's in man coverage.

He is at his best coming down-hill anyway so he will be a safety most of the time who can motion out and cover, play nickel DB or even play as a linebacker up at the LOS.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Bears will get the most use out of him considering our two safeties have been promising. I would go Nelson or Davenport before Minkah and I was a big Minkah fan.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Great player and probably an elite leader, but I was never sure the Bears could use him to the best of his ability because he just doesn't have the physical tools to be a lock down corner and they have good safeties. At #8 I just don't see them going that way.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Minkah is the next Jaelen Ramsey with much better ball skills. No way you pass on him. He’ll be gone by 8 anyway though. #1 corner right off the bat and would dominate in Vic’s system across from Fuller

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Minkah is the next Jaelen Ramsey with much better ball skills. No way you pass on him. He’ll be gone by 8 anyway though. #1 corner right off the bat and would dominate in Vic’s system across from Fuller

Doubtful. Ramsey has already established himself as one of the best CBs in the league. Furthermore, for teams that throw at him, he still gets INTs. He has great ball skills.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
More often than not lately on the fanspeak draft simulator Fitzpatrick is still available at 8. I’ve seen a few other published mocks that have him available as well. The key seems to be the NYG selecting a QB and Clev grabbing a QB and Barkley.
Assuming Fuller is still here and the choice is between Fitzpatrick, Nelson, Davenport or Ridley....who are you selecting?
Nelson over any of the other three.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Elite player. You take him.

Speed

Liked Posts:
Yes, dont even think twice about it. You need basically 3 starting caliber corners these days ideally with as much as teams are in their sub nickel packages. A super swiss army knife like Fitzpatrick would take this D to a whole other level.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bryce Callahan is already a high quality nickel. He's no Kendall Fuller but he's had extremely well graded games with few lapses in coverage. Quarterbacks have actually shied away from throwing at Callahan. If you're looking at drafting Minkah its as an outside corner. Otherwise you're pulling a Lovie Smith putting your solid starting nickel in the doghouse to play a draft pick in his place.

Don't get me wrong though, in today's NFL the nickel is becoming just as important as your outside corners. I just don't see any shot of a rookie DB out playing Callahan's current nickel performance.

More or less the same applies to the safety position. We already have a solid combination in Amos and Jackson. Minkah is just too much of a square peg in a round hole feeling to Chicago's defense unless you're intending to replace Amukamara with him.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Minkah or Davenport. Would be delighted with either. Wouldn't be mad if they got Ridley but I don't think the value is at it's best and there are some good prospects in day 2. Would be pissed off if they drafted a guard at 8 with premium options at pass rusher and CB on the board.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I don't know exactly what to think about him fitting our defense. I think he can play either one of CB or S but if we're looking for a CB to play opposite Fuller i'm still thinking long and hard about J.Jackson and D.Ward and even better if we can trade down a few spots and still get one of them. I know most on here aren't too high on D.Ward mostly because he isn't quite hitting 6 foot but the kid can play and i could easily see him being the best DB coming out of this draft.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The question is if I would take an elite prospect at #8 if he is still around?

Yes.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Bryce Callahan is already a high quality nickel. He's no Kendall Fuller but he's had extremely well graded games with few lapses in coverage. Quarterbacks have actually shied away from throwing at Callahan. If you're looking at drafting Minkah its as an outside corner. Otherwise you're pulling a Lovie Smith putting your solid starting nickel in the doghouse to play a draft pick in his place.

Don't get me wrong though, in today's NFL the nickel is becoming just as important as your outside corners. I just don't see any shot of a rookie DB out playing Callahan's current nickel performance.

More or less the same applies to the safety position. We already have a solid combination in Amos and Jackson. Minkah is just too much of a square peg in a round hole feeling to Chicago's defense unless you're intending to replace Amukamara with him.

I'm not so sure i'd say QB's actually shy away from throwing at Callahan...lol. He's made some good plays and i hope we bring him back but he's also had some awful games and plays as well and i'm pretty sure no QB is gonna think they should stay away from throwing his way.

Alright i'm ready for the copy and pasting of the NB stats from PFF, but you don't have to cause i'm a Callahan fan and i do like him and want him back.....but QB's actually shy away from throwing at him....ummmmm no.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not so sure i'd say QB's actually shy away from throwing at Callahan...lol. He's made some good plays and i hope we bring him back but he's also had some awful games and plays as well and i'm pretty sure no QB is gonna think they should stay away from throwing his way.

Alright i'm ready for the copy and pasting of the NB stats from PFF, but you don't have to cause i'm a Callahan fan and i do like him and want him back.....but QB's actually shy away from throwing at him....ummmmm no.

The numbers don't lie. Kyle Fuller was the most targeted corner on the team and Callahan was the least. Frankly I don't give a shit about your opinions anymore. You're a few more stupid posts from landing on my blocked list.

Last edited:

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Doubtful. Ramsey has already established himself as one of the best CBs in the league. Furthermore, for teams that throw at him, he still gets INTs. He has great ball skills.

Not one interception his last season in college... Only 3 his entire college campaign, and the majority of analysts predicted Ramsey best at safety. Get your facts straight

Oh, and Saban said Minkah's the best DB he has ever coached, which has a long list of stars on it. He won't make it to 8, if he does it's an easy decision for Pace.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Not one interception his last season in college... Only 3 his entire college campaign, and the majority of analysts predicted Ramsey best at safety. Get your facts straight

Oh, and Saban said Minkah's the best DB he has ever coached, which has a long list of stars on it. He won't make it to 8, if he does it's an easy decision for Pace.
I wasn’t talking about college. You said he’s the next Ramsey with better ball skills. You are basically saying he will be better than Ramsey. I doubt that...

And who cares what Saban said, he never coached Ramsey so how is that relevant?

Also, many are saying Minkah should be a safety as well.