Free Agency news

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Give me Richard Sherman Kyle Fuller project CB in the 4th or later someone who can play outside not nickle and dime.... Pick up a OLB first round. RT or WR in the 2nd BPA all the way i feel we can pickup an interesting Dlinemen rj Macintosh or tim settle dropping into our 4th round pick would be steals imo.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Jordy Nelson and/or Randall Cobb could be cut.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
NFL Update - #Seahawks will likely entertain trade offers for CB Richard Sherman this offseason just like they did last offseason, per CBS Sports.

If we were gearing up for a SB run, I'd be game for this, but we're likely several seasons away from competing. He's 29 now and wouldn't be worth much to us when he is 32+.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
670 The Score
@670TheScore
16m16 minutes ago
Free agency figures to offer ample options for the #Bears to improve at the wide receiver position, writes @greggabe
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/02/15/bears-opportunity-address-wide-receiver-free-agency/

"Allen Robinson, Jaguars

Robinson, 24, has been a big-play receiver for the Jaguars since he entered the league in 2014. He only ran 4.60 at the combine but came back to run 4.47 at the Penn State pro day. Robinson is coming off a torn ACL suffered in the 2017 opener, so it’s doubtful that Jacksonville will try and use the franchise tag on him. He has the potential to be a legitimate No. 1 receiver. In 2015, he had 80 catches for 1,400 yards and 14 touchdowns. He’s averaged 14.1 yards per reception for his career.

Albert Wilson, Chiefs

Wilson would be an interesting player for the Bears in that he’s coming from the Chiefs and would already know the offense. He’s 5-foot-9, 200 pounds and has some of the speed that Nagy is looking for. He was primarily a role player in Kansas City, recording 42 receptions for 554 yards and three touchdowns in 2017. He’s best as a slot receiver. If the Bears go after the 25-year-old Wilson, it’s because Nagy feels his best football is in front of him.

Marqise Lee, Jaguars

A second-round pick in 2014, Lee hasn’t quite lived up to expectations. Still, he has come in the last two years, over which he has a combined 119 receptions and six touchdowns. Lee, 26, has the physical traits that the Bears are looking for in a wideout, and it won’t cost an exorbitant amount to sign him.

Paul Richardson, Seahawks

Richardson, 25, is another second-round pick in 2014 who hasn’t lived up to his billing all the time. At 6-foot, 183 pounds, he has a lean frame. He also has small hands and has had trouble with dropped passes. But he’s fast (4.40), and his price will be reasonable.

Jaron Brown, Cardinals

Brown was went undrafted out of college in 2013. It has taken him time to develop. He had his best year in 2017, with 31 receptions for 477 yards and four touchdowns. Brown has size (6-foot-2, 205 pounds) and speed (4.40), but he may just be a career backup.

Donte Moncrief, Colts

Moncrief, 24, has what the Bears are looking for as far as size, speed and athleticism but he hasn’t been consistent. His best year was in 2015, when he had 64 receptions for 733 yards. He has had durability issues in the past two seasons, missing a combined 11 games.

John Brown, Cardinals

Following the 2015 season, there were many who felt Brown would be a star in the NFL. He had 65 receptions for 1,003 yards and seven touchdowns that season. He has experienced injury problems in the past two years, including missing six games in 2017, and hasn’t looked like the same player. He does have the speed the Bears are looking for (4.34).

Jordan Matthews, Bills

Matthews was outstanding in his first two NFL seasons, with 67 and 85 receptions, respectively. He added 73 catches in 2016, his third season, but also started to drop some catchable balls and lost confidence. Matthews was traded to Buffalo in 2017 and had some injury problems as well as a quarterback who struggled to throw. If Matthews can revert back to 2015 form, he might be a great fit for the Bears. He has the size at 6-foot-3 and speed at 4.46."

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I like John Brown but he has sickle cell trait.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
6m6 minutes ago
Former Colts’ CB Vontae Davis is taking his first free-agent visit today with the Buffalo Bills, per source.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Most of the list is guys who are incredibly inconsistent.

His take on Landry:

"As for free agents, Dolphins receiver Jarvis Landry is a name that’s often brought up. I don’t feel he will be a player the Bears will chase in free agency. From a physical standpoint, he isn’t a fit, having run a 4.77-second 40-yard dash at the combine and boasting a 28-inch vertical jump. Those are poor numbers for a wide receiver. On top of that, he averaged 8.8 yards per catch this past season. He simply doesn’t scare anyone when he does make a catch, and he doesn’t get far after a reception. "

Worth noting here is that Landry has ranked 2nd, 2nd and 3rd in yards after the catch the last 3 seasons. But apparently since he had a bad combine 4 years ago he's actually a bad football player despite his historic production playing with average to terrible quarterbacks.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
His take on Landry:

"As for free agents, Dolphins receiver Jarvis Landry is a name that’s often brought up. I don’t feel he will be a player the Bears will chase in free agency. From a physical standpoint, he isn’t a fit, having run a 4.77-second 40-yard dash at the combine and boasting a 28-inch vertical jump. Those are poor numbers for a wide receiver. On top of that, he averaged 8.8 yards per catch this past season. He simply doesn’t scare anyone when he does make a catch, and he doesn’t get far after a reception. "

Worth noting here is that Landry has ranked 2nd, 2nd and 3rd in yards after the catch the last 3 seasons. But apparently since he had a bad combine 4 years ago he's actually a bad football player despite his historic production playing with average to terrible quarterbacks.

Adi also posted a nice breakdown of Bill Belichek double teaming him 3 straight plays in the redzone at the end of the game.

There is no flash to Landry, just consistency and durability. The Bears should pay for both considering what we have seen from the WR core.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
For some reason, Gabriel keeps wanting to go back to the combine numbers with Landry. He has been in the NFL long enough to go off what he has accomplished the last several seasons. We all know that he is not the fastest receiver in the NFL, however he is not going to be a league leader in catches if he does not get consistent separation (something Gabriel is failing to pick up).

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
His take on Landry:

Yeah I'm not taking his assessment seriously at all. Bill Belichick has praised him in the past for being reliable, schemes to take him away as an option, and is quoted saying "you've got to know where he is."

I want to go out and sign the players that Belichick feels the need to focus on. I'll take the assessment of a future HOF coach who plays Landry twice year over some reporter who doesn't appear to watch the guy play.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I'm not taking his assessment seriously at all. Bill Belichick has praised him in the past for being reliable, schemes to take him away as an option, and is quoted saying "you've got to know where he is."

I want to go out and sign the players that Belichick feels the need to focus on. I'll take the assessment of a future HOF coach who plays Landry twice year over some reporter who doesn't appear to watch the guy play.

Wow, really cool article, thanks for posting...

Bill Belichick was wearing a microphone for NFL Films the last time the Patriots routed the Dolphins, which was less than two weeks ago.

“Landry, where is he?” Belichick says.

“Let’s make sure we get Landry,” Belichick says.

“Doubling Landry,” Belichick says.

Everyone knows Belichick tries to take away the oppositions’ most dangerous threat. And Belichick, clearly, has determined that for the Dolphins, that is Landry.

[RELATED STORY: The Miami Dolphins won Sunday. Want a bigger win? Pay Jarvis Landry.]

When Matt Moore threw an interception to DeVante Parker on a fade in the end zone in the last meeting, Belichick had made it clear he wanted Landry double-teamed. The plan clearly worked.

So with Landry so often double-teamed by the Patriots, should Miami work away from Landry?

The Dolphins say no. They think they can beat it. They don’t fear it.

“I still made plays,” Landry said Friday. “I still had opportunities. I don’t expect nothing less these days. That’s just a normal thing. I’m still open.”

Dolphins coach and playcaller Adam Gase isn’t afraid of the double-team, either.

“(Landry’s) a tough guy to match up,” Gase said. “Even on that fourth down (in the last meeting), they had him doubled and he still found a way to find a little bit of a hole. The guy made a great play and jarred the ball enough loose to where he hit the ground before he could gather that. Even when he gets doubled, he finds a way to get open.”

Gase and Landry try to make it harder for New England to double Landry by moving him around the field.

“I usually have an idea what’s going on going into the game,” Gase said. “It’s not breaking news to anybody that I’m pretty sure I know who most teams try to take away on the offense. You just try to make it hard on them and try to keep Jarvis (Landry) doing the things he does well (and at the) same time, don’t make him a sitting duck where he lines up in the same spot play after play after play and everybody knows where he’s at.”

There is also a really cool little video embedded in the article...

Last edited:

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

Well apparently Belichick didn't check his combine numbers!

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
AJ Mckracken is officially a free agent.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could see some team convincing themselves that he's their answer at QB.

images

Speed

Liked Posts:
He's going to the Browns while they groom a QB with one of their 2 picks. He has a connection with Hue and division familiarity. I'm imaging he's getting as much or more than Glennon. :pace: