Free Agency news

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
There is no conceivable reason with 90 million in cap space you should let Fuller even test the market.

You can offer him big time money but if he wants to leave, there’s nothing you can do about it. Let’s see how it plays out first. But you can’t think we have the power to keep him. Sometimes, players take less to go somewhere else they want to play at.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Yep. Shaheen could very well be a very good player. But I think we can all agree he isn't going to be an elite level TE in 2018. He needs some time. He can be the #1 TE in 2018, but he's not going to put up the 70-80 catches that elite TEs get. And he's probably a guy that's going to come off the field on 3rd and 10+. He's just simply never going to be that guy that beats the defense consistently on a 14-15 yard route when they are in nickel or dime. That's fine. Plenty of work for him on 1st down, 2nd down, and 3rd and 6 or less.

But Nagy liked to run 4 and 5 wide sets in KC. In KC, Nagy typically ran those sets with 3 WRs, 1 TE and a RB (either in backfield or wide). Like you said, Kelce can do it all. Shaheen isn't a guy that's going to be able to run the post or corner to success in the slot or get up the field in a hurry on the outside. Burton gives you a guy that can do that. And he doesn't necessarily take anything away from Shaheen or a slot WR.

I agree about shaheen. He’s just not that athletic. If we are going to be running two tight end sets, then get Burton and keep shaheen. If not, then I would trade shaheen after and if we get Burton.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I agree about shaheen. He’s just not that athletic. If we are going to be running two tight end sets, then get Burton and keep shaheen. If not, then I would trade shaheen after and if we get Burton.

Everyone runs 2 TE sets. NFL teams run 2 TE sets on average of 30% of the time. KC actually ran 2 TE sets like 37% of the time last year. So, figure at least 1/3 of the time Shaheen and Burton would be on the field together. Throw in that either/or will be on the field on most of the other plays and I think you could be looking at a situation where Shaheen is on the field like 65% of the time, and Burton about 55-60% of the time.

Oh and Shaheen is very athletic. He's just not a guy that's going to create a ton of separation, especially down the field.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Everyone runs 2 TE sets. NFL teams run 2 TE sets on average of 30% of the time. KC actually ran 2 TE sets like 37% of the time last year. So, figure at least 1/3 of the time Shaheen and Burton would be on the field together. Throw in that either/or will be on the field on most of the other plays and I think you could be looking at a situation where Shaheen is on the field like 65% of the time, and Burton about 55-60% of the time.

Oh and Shaheen is very athletic. He's just not a guy that's going to create a ton of separation, especially down the field.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I just wasn’t aware of that. I need to pay more attention.

I will disagree with you on shaheen being “very athletic”. I don’t see it. Plus he is not a fluid mover in my eyes.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I’m a pessimist about this offseason. I like it’s more likely than not that Allen Robinson and Landry don’t make it to FA. I feel like this happens most offseasons; there’s hype about all the potential top FA but the list dwindles down real fast as FA approaches.

From the sample of news out there concerning Robinson, it sounds like JAX wants to bring him back. And I bet he wants to stay there considering their success last season. I’d bet they they work something out considering both sides are on the same page.

Here’s to hoping though.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I will disagree with you on shaheen being “very athletic”. I don’t see it. Plus he is not a fluid mover in my eyes.

Combine/pro-day stats (Gronk wasn't able to work out at combine due to injury)

Shaheen- 6'6, 278 lbs. Gronk 6'6", 264lbs
Shaheen- 4.78 40 time. Gronk 4.68 40 time (keep in mind pro day times or notoriously higher)
Shaheen- 32.5 vertical jump. Gronk 33.5 vertical jump
Shaheen- 10'1" broad jump. Gronk 9'11" broad jump
Shaheen- 4.38 20-yd shuttle. Gronk 4.47 20-yd shuttle
Shaheen- 7.09 3-cone. Gronk 7.18 3-cone

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:

Shaheen- 4.78 40 time. Gronk 4.68 40 time (keep in mind pro day times or notoriously higher)
Hey, that’s fine. I don’t have a problem with you showing all those stats. I just don’t see it on the field. Just like there are players that play fast on the field than what their numbers showed, the opposite happens as well. I don’t see him playing “very athletic”.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Hey, that’s fine. I don’t have a problem with you showing all those stats. I just don’t see it on the field. Just like there are players that play fast on the field than what their numbers showed, the opposite happens as well. I don’t see him playing “very athletic”.

I'll give you that. He definitely has a little stiffness to him. But a lot of that could be due to him being young, not getting much playing time, and coming from D3 or wherever. Huge learning curve for him. I think he'll look like the full range of his athletic ability when he's fully comfortable in the offense.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I'll give you that. He definitely has a little stiffness to him. But a lot of that could be due to him being young, not getting much playing time, and coming from D3 or wherever. Huge learning curve for him. I think he'll look like the full range of his athletic ability when he's fully comfortable in the offense.

You might have something there. With you saying that, I’d like to see where he’s at after 2 years. By then he should be really comfortable and if it plays out that way, we could have a good tight end playing for us.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
You might have something there. With you saying that, I’d like to see where he’s at after 2 years. By then he should be really comfortable and if it plays out that way, we could have a good tight end playing for us.

Yep, that's why many want Burton. A) to take the pressure off of Shaheen to be THE guy at TE. B) to be there in case Shaheen isn't ready for a huge role in the passing game.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Of course. And I don't think Burton is worth that $. I wouldn't pay him that.

I would. There was no drop off when Ertz was hurt. The Bears need weapons.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Shaheen is not as natural of an athlete and can’t seem to stay on his feet after he catches the ball. Dude looks like he’s corkscrewing himself into ground.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You can offer him big time money but if he wants to leave, there’s nothing you can do about it. Let’s see how it plays out first. But you can’t think we have the power to keep him. Sometimes, players take less to go somewhere else they want to play at.

Franchise Tag

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Franchise Tag

I agree to tag him.but it doesn’t mean pace kept him with a great offer. He’s forcing him to stay. But yet fuller can retire and get hired again by someone else.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I would. There was no drop off when Ertz was hurt. The Bears need weapons.

Hi average over three years: 209 yards, 10.0 ave, 2 TDs.

A 4 year, $28mil contract with $15 gtd would put him in the top 11 average $/year and more guaranteed $ at signing than any TE in the league. This is for a guy who for all practical purposes is an H Back.

I'd rather spend that $ somewhere else.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Shaheen is not as natural of an athlete and can’t seem to stay on his feet after he catches the ball. Dude looks like he’s corkscrewing himself into ground.

You figured that all out on the 15-20 passes thrown his way last year huh?

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes. He doesn’t look as fluid and looks top heavy to me. :shrug:

He was on a chipotle diet for 3 years while at Ashland “where the fuck is that” University.

Let him develop in a professional setting before any final judgements on his athleticism are made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk