Free Agency news

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They can keep him if they want to. There's always ways for these clubs to open up cap space and plenty of it if they want to. They can cut players or re-work contracts or take a chunk of a players contract and turn it into guaranteed money or signing bonus money. Still think they're main priority is gonna be trying to trade him but they can keep him if they don't, that's if they want to.

Thanks

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They would only get a high comp pick if he left as a FA and they didn't sign anyone else to offset. As a team trading with them I certainly would just assume the 3rd round pick was guaranteed.

They do not have the cap room even without him.

Usually it is not based on total contracts handed out, but by the size of the contract that the player signs. They could sign 6 guys totally Landry's 14 million and still get a 3rd round pick as I understand.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Keeping Landry on the tag would require the Dolphins to do something huge like cutting Suh and designating him a post June 1st cut to spread out the 20 million in dead money.

They could restructure everyone on the team, not named Suh, but that seems logistically challenging.

Realistically the Dolphins need Landry on a 10 million or less cap hit for 2018.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Does Marcus Peters to the Rams change anything about Sammy Watkins?

I'd rather go after him than give up a draft pick for Bryant or Landry.

RWR: Sammy Watkins, Rookie (Kirk,Pettis, St. Brown)
LWR: Cameron Meredith, Dontrelle Inman
SWR: Kendall Wright, Kevin White

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does Marcus Peters to the Rams change anything about Sammy Watkins?

I'd rather go after him than give up a draft pick for Bryant or Landry.

It gives the Rams more money to play with.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A Landry trade I have been thinking about with the rumored interest is

Chicago: 2[39]

Miami: WR Jarvis Landry, 3[73], 4th

That would value Landry out as the 77th pick in the draft, which is 20 spots higher than a comp pick they would get and would also give them a premium trade asset to move up for a QB from 11.

I'd do that. So that would mean you would NOT for sure take a WR at #8 then? Probably OL there?

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let the clock tick on Miami. They can't keep Landry on the franchise tag.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
It doesn’t they essentially added Peters salary.

The decision will still be Joyner or Watkins.
I heard Peters has two years left on his rookie deal if they use the option so quite a bit less than they were paying Johnson the last two years. They created some cap money by making this trade and letting Johnson walk

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Keeping Landry on the tag would require the Dolphins to do something huge like cutting Suh and designating him a post June 1st cut to spread out the 20 million in dead money.

They could restructure everyone on the team, not named Suh, but that seems logistically challenging.

Realistically the Dolphins need Landry on a 10 million or less cap hit for 2018.

There is a very good possibility exactly this happens.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Anytime. There's plenty of ways for them to keep him if they really want to, the question is do they really want to keep him or are they just giving themselves a edge to sign him to a long term deal or is this really all about trying to get something for him in a trade.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

If only us fans really knew all the ways for teams to create money and really knew as much as the teams money guys that do this for a living instead of just acting like they do......Hmmmmmm.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I heard Peters has two years left on his rookie deal if they use the option so quite a bit less than they were paying Johnson the last two years. They created some cap money by making this trade and letting Johnson walk

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They sure did

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
ProFootballTalk reports the Jaguars are "exploring their quarterback options" in free agency.

The Jaguars have Blake Bortles under control through 2019, but his fifth-year option is guaranteed for injury only. Assuming he can pass a physical, Jacksonville can shed his entire $19 million salary to make a run at a free agent. The Jaguars have been linked to Kirk Cousins and may view Sam Bradford, Case Keenum, and Teddy Bridgewater as upgrades on Bortles. There should be more clarity on Jacksonville's quarterback situation after next week's Combine.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
The Charlotte Observer expects the Panthers to release DE Charles Johnson.

It's an easy decision with Johnson coming off a zero-sack season. 31-year-old Johnson has no plans to retire but isn't going to be back with the Panthers. Carolina can create $3.25 million in cap savings from cutting Johnson.
Source: Charlotte Observer Feb 23 - 6:44 PM

could be interesting to see him a 3-4 rush lb if he's willing to take a 1yr deal

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
The Browns are expected to move on from free agent Isaiah Crowell.

This isn't surprising after the Browns passed on extending Crowell last year. Entering his age-25 season, Crowell should draw interest as an early-down committee back in power schemes. The Browns may look to replace Crowell with one of their two first-round picks.
Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter Feb 23 - 7:05 PM

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Everyone is taking about Saquon Barkley but Derrius Guice could be a good three down starter in the NFL and Akrum Wadley would be a good fit for a passing offense.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If only us fans really knew all the ways for teams to create money and really knew as much as the teams money guys that do this for a living instead of just acting like they do......Hmmmmmm.

It really is simple math.

You can learn this stuff instead of staring in awe of what every team does as being some sort of magic. They have entire sites devoted to learning the salary cap and the rules and restrictions.