dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
We need to find a way to keep CAM. Communicate heavily that he is wanted back next year. I think 7.5 mill a year is a bargain price for the potential he has. Pace should be ecstatic is we can lock him up to a multi-year deal for anything under that price.

Personally, I think it would benefit both parties to settle on a short two year deal upwards to 8.5-9mil mil a year and allow Meredith to play himself into an even bigger contract. Let him know we believe in him and that he has the potential to get that type of money, but needs to prove it with another year or two.

Damn $7.5 seems like a lot to me for a guy that's only given us one decent season.

Rise

Liked Posts:
If the Colts want to pay Cam $9 million a year just let him go. He didn’t just tear his acl, he also tore his mcl, to risky at that price, plus it isn’t like he was some top 20 wr even when healthy.

I’d like him to return sure but only at the right price. He is replaceable.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Colts want to pay Cam $9 million a year just let him go. He didn’t just tear his acl, he also tore his mcl, to risky at that price, plus it isn’t like he was some top 20 wr even when healthy.

This is an interesting post, having just read the Workers Compensation for NFL players thread.........

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No one is talking about about a scenario where we lose Meredith to the Colts. We are talking a scenario where we have ARob, Meredith, Gabriel, rookie WR, White, Bellamy and we still go out and sign Hurns and Inman. That just defies logic and good cap allocation IMO.

Hurns and Inman would be overkill.

But one of them won’t. 2 players you mention are non-factors at Wr (White and Bellamy) and you don’t have to spend a draft pick at WR if you have 4 legit option at the positon

Robinson
Meredith
Gabriel
Hurns
Bellamy
White

You can reassign the draft oick and neither White or Bellamy have to play with 1 injury.

Reactions: Myk

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Stephen Holder

Verified account

@HolderStephen
Follow Follow @HolderStephen
More
Update: I was told no offer sheet yet for Bears restricted FA Cameron Meredith, who had a visit w the Colts yesterday. He has “multiple” visits yet to come, acc to source. This could take a little while.

5:30 AM - 21 Mar 2018

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

But one of them won’t. 2 players you mention are non-factors at Wr (White and Bellamy) and you don’t have to spend a draft pick at WR if you have 4 legit option at the positon

Robinson
Meredith
Gabriel
Hurns
Bellamy
White

You can reassign the draft oick and neither White or Bellamy have to play with 1 injury.

I think the issue here is that Meredith is the #2 (on this team) and if he is gone then White or Bellamy is the only other guy currently on the team that could fill that role. We do not have Hurns or Innman or Wright (my favorite to bring back). So maybe we need to consider that the Colts are going to overpay for Cam, and sign one of those three.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Stephen Holder

Verified account

@HolderStephen
Follow Follow @HolderStephen
More
Update: I was told no offer sheet yet for Bears restricted FA Cameron Meredith, who had a visit w the Colts yesterday. He has “multiple” visits yet to come, acc to source. This could take a little while.

5:30 AM - 21 Mar 2018

A.Hurns has visits with Dallas and Jets but I'd look at J.Mathews if Cam gets too big a offer and Hurts goes elsewhere.

I like Cam but he's pretty close to the same player as A.Rob.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If Cameron Meredith will cost 9.5 a year and Allen Hurns will cost 7.5 on a long term deal. Do we still go Meredith?

We need to find a way to keep CAM. Communicate heavily that he is wanted back next year. I think 7.5 mill a year is a bargain price for the potential he has. Pace should be ecstatic is we can lock him up to a multi-year deal for anything under that price.

Personally, I think it would benefit both parties to settle on a short two year deal upwards to 8.5-9mil mil a year and allow Meredith to play himself into an even bigger contract. Let him know we believe in him and that he has the potential to get that type of money, but needs to prove it with another year or two.

Meredith is the better player with more upside. He needs to remain a Bear
I think you guys are getting a little over the top nostalgic for a slightly better than average WR. He had 11 receptions in 2015 and was ranked 43rd in receptions and 36th in yards in his career breakout PRE-KNEE INJURY season. In that season half of his games were 50 yards or less and he only had more than 4 catches in 5 of 14 games. He is not a $9.5 M receiver. He isn't a $8.5 M WR or $7.5 M WR either. He was a decent compliment to AJ when the alternatives were Deonte Thompson, Josh Bellamy, and Daniel Braveman. He should see nothing mre than a$5M offer at best, any more and that is overpaying him based on his very limited production and injury history.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
5m5 minutes ago

Saints’ restricted free agent WR Willie Snead is visiting the Ravens today, per source.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Losing Cam Meredith because the Bears saved 1 million on a RFA tender would really be a massive mistake by Pace. If he was not prepared to match any offer he should have given him the 2nd round tender.
I am not upset.

But it would be a mistake on the part of Pace. You would essentially be losing Meredith for 1 million dollars no matter what he signed for.

I think they will match, but the Colts are desperate and have been rejected by everyone with a pulse. I don’t know if they will come in with a bulky offer and an over pay.
Did you ever think that Pace wants him to get a offer sheet based on his limited production that he can match and again appear as the guy that let the player test the market and then match it?

No one was touching Cam for a 2nd round tender so if he then plays on it and plays well he ends up an URFA next season. If he gets a reasonable offer sheet Pace matches it, if not he moves on. Cam is far from irreplaceable.

LIBlue

Liked Posts:
I am confused by the lack of interest for Kendall Wright

Robinson
Meredith
Gabriel
Hurns
Bellamy
White

Trubisky appears to have developed a solid connection with Kendall Wright (59 receptions, 614 yards, 10.4 yards/catch) in 2017. I would rather resign Wright than Inman or Hurns, especially if we keep Meredith. Meredith and Robinson are the bigger targets, while Gabriel and Wright are more the slot receivers. Bellamy is the special team maven, and White is the pipe dream. Plus, his is a pretty deep draft for wide receivers. I think you could get a decent player in round 4 or 5.

Viciousjay

Liked Posts:

This is what I've been trying to explain, we should get Hurns

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
A.Hurns has visits with Dallas and Jets but I'd look at J.Mathews if Cam gets too big a offer and Hurts goes elsewhere.

I like Cam but he's pretty close to the same player as A.Rob.

Not really. AR is a much more physical WR who runs good routes but also can catch contested balls. Meredith is a better route runner imo and he is a bit more quick and elusive. Meredith isn’t a physical WR despite being 6’3”. Meredith is probably faster also.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Usually we keep 6 wrs, but this may be the year we keep 7, due to past injuries. I'd love to have ARob, Cam, Gabriel, Hurns, Inman, White, Rookie

I'd love to fill out the depth at positions other than WR because you know there are other positions in need other than WR.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Did you ever think that Pace wants him to get a offer sheet based on his limited production that he can match and again appear as the guy that let the player test the market and then match it?

No one was touching Cam for a 2nd round tender so if he then plays on it and plays well he ends up an URFA next season. If he gets a reasonable offer sheet Pace matches it, if not he moves on. Cam is far from irreplaceable.

I agree, Pace has played this well, and I am surprised more team do not use this approach towards the FAs that have an unknown market value. It tells the player that you want him back, but that you respect him enough to let him go out and do the leg work on his value.

It would not surprise me if he gets a offer that is more than his production warrants. But in this league you are trying to find the guys that are ascending and pay them for their peak years. I think that is what teams who are interested in Cam are looking at.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Robinson
Meredith
Gabriel
Hurns
Bellamy
White

You spend a draft pick at WR to help keep costs down and to groom a replacement. If you give Hurns 7-10 million then are you going to then let Meredith walk next year if he plays well and wants his 7-10 million too? Or are you going to try and have one of the most expensive WRs cores in the NFL?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I think the issue is people saying if the offer is too crazy then Pace will not match. If there is any scenario where Pace is not going to match the asking price for Cam then he should have just put the 2nd round tender on him and not risk it. If he plans to match no matter what then no biggie. The issue is fans don't know which thought process Pace falls under so we are just speculating.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

If the Colts make him a offer at $9 mil per i'm not even thinking about matching. Love Cam and that we got him as a UDFA but he hasn't shown anything to say he's worth that kind of loot. Still some WR talent out there in free agency and wouldn't mind having a different type of WR opposite A.Rob then Cam who's pretty close to the same type player as A.Rob.

J.Mathews
A.Hurns
T.Pryor
M.Wallace
J.Maclin.

I wasn't big on M.Wallace at all before free agency started but he sure would be a nice fit opposite A.Rob with his speed and with T.Gabriel in the slot with the speed and quickness.

X--A.Rob
Z--M.Wallace
Slot-- T.Gabriel

K.White
J.Bellamy
K.Wright--could play slot when Gabriel plays some Z.