Free Agency news

Liked Posts:
Dumb Jags.

Adam Schefter

‏@AdamSchefter
4m4 minutes ago
Jaguars are giving QB Blake Bortles a new three-year, $54 million deal, worth up to $66.5M with incentives, that includes $26.5M guaranteed, tying him to Jacksonville through the 2020 season, per source.

They're going to squander that amazing defense aren't they?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LMAO, remember when people were telling me the Jaguars wanted Kirk Cousins. I member.

People seriously underestimate Blake Bortles. Its not like we are talking about Jimmy Clausen here for god's sake but it sure seems like people think he is that bad.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
LMAO, remember when people were telling me the Jaguars wanted Kirk Cousins. I member.

People seriously underestimate Blake Bortles. Its not like we are talking about Jimmy Clausen here for god's sake but it sure seems like people think he is that bad.

Played well in the playoffs. Before that he was pretty bad.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
so he's getting average starter money with incentives for more. it'll be interesting to see how the gtd money is paid out, i'm guessing it'll be paid mostly this year so they can cut bait if he cant sustain that relatively high level of play in the playoffs.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
You said chemistry is over rated, in reference to Andy Reid trading away a pro bowl corner, implying that he's wrong to do so. I would argue Andy Reid knows what he is doing.

I didn't reference the trade at all. I replied to a comment about team chemistry. I simply made a comment. Stop reading into things that aren't there. They averaged 11 wins every year Peters was there contributing to the bad chemistry, so it must not be a big deal. That was the point. I have given no opinion of the trade and certainly not of Andy Reid's coaching capabilities in either direction. You gotta make a pretty big leap to get from my comment to get to your random ass conclusion.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dolphins Twitter is a buzz than Jarvis Landry’s official website is blowing out his Dolphins colored merchandise.

Sign he is on the move.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Dolphins Twitter is a buzz than Jarvis Landry’s official website is blowing out his Dolphins colored merchandise.

Sign he is on the move.

Would still think its a longshot he lands in chi, as other teams can offer a 3rd rounder and there are better destinations for Landry to choose from.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Would still think its a longshot he lands in chi, as other teams can offer a 3rd rounder and there are better destinations for Landry to choose from.

I think it is a long shot.

But I also do not see a lot of better opurtunities with teams that could realistically pay him.

Bears have a QB, an offensive coach, an offense that features the slot WR, and no proven pass game weapons. This would be an excellent spot for him.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I think it is a long shot.

But I also do not see a lot of better opurtunities with teams that could realistically pay him.

Bears have a QB, an offensive coach, an offense that features the slot WR, and no proven pass game weapons. This would be an excellent spot for him.

Still hard to fathom a team trading a 3rd rounder then paying him 5/80.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Everyone that pays attention knows my position on Landry. Not a huge fan. But part of me is dying to see Pace make a really bold move. I guess the Trubisky trade was bold, but it was still really only a 1-spot move. We've seen some pretty good stud players moved the last couple offseasons and Pace may have to make a big move to get this team where it needs to be in a hurry.

Just off the top of my head, the following players have been moved since this time last year:

Brandin Cooks
Marcus Peters
Alex Smith
Sammy Watkins
Ronald Darby
EJ Gaines
Jimmy Garoppolo
Jordan Matthews
Sheldon Richardson
Kelvin Benjamin
Jay Ajayi
Duane Brown
Marcell Dareus

Not all these players were big needs for the Bears, but of the guys traded before or during the 2017 season, all those teams that traded for one of these stud players made the playoffs, except for the Seahawks with Brown and the Niners, who went undefeated and found their franchise QB. At some point, Pace is probably going to have to get involved in the big-time trade market to speed things up.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The only VALUE to trading picks for Landry is that you don't have to negotiate with other teams. That is convenience. If it is guaranteed that the Dolphins would have to release the franchise tag if there is no suiters, why would a team trade a 3rd round pick? You don't trade 3rd round picks for convenience.

Mitchapalooza

The only VALUE to trading picks for Landry is that you don't have to negotiate with other teams. That is convenience. If it is guaranteed that the Dolphins would have to release the franchise tag if there is no suiters, why would a team trade a 3rd round pick? You don't trade 3rd round picks for convenience.
But an extra 4th might be worth it.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Doesn't Landry first have to reach a deal with another team and then that team has to agree to trade compensation with the phins? Say the Bears are so desperate that they blow every teams offer out of the water and Landry agrees to a 5/85mil deal with the Bears. I believe it will have to be a near Glennon esque type overpayment for him to choose the Bears. Then the Bears offer one of their 4th rounders to Miami, how can Miami actually refuse? Of course knowing Pace, he will offer both 4th rounders and a pick next year but that's besides the point.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Doesn't Landry first have to reach a deal with another team and then that team has to agree to trade compensation with the phins? Say the Bears are so desperate that they blow every teams offer out of the water and Landry agrees to a 5/85mil deal with the Bears. I believe it will have to be a near Glennon esque type overpayment for him to choose the Bears. Then the Bears offer one of their 4th rounders to Miami, how can Miami actually refuse? Of course knowing Pace, he will offer both 4th rounders and a pick next year but that's besides the point.

Why would they have to seriously over pay?

What other team would he be angling to go to that can meet his contract demands?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Agreed.

You don’t trade 3rd round picks for the advantage of being the solo negotiator. Day 3 pick probably worth it.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I don't think these players view a perennial cellar dweller as a premier destination. Also, is Chicago that desirable to a lot of these southern guys ie. AJ? I know we are all excited about the possibilities of Nagys new offense and how good Mitch could become, but I'm not sure that the ufa's do.