What's Better, The Starting Staff or the Lineup

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Mulley and Hanley's 5 at 5 today asked the question, what is stronger, the Cubs Starting Lineup or the Cubs Starting Pitching Staff?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
They're both top three units in the NL, but probably the rotation. On paper there's really only one question mark there in Chatwood, but the lineup has several question marks in Schwarber and Russell, plus a known clunker in Heyward.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Staff. No set lead off going in is the heel.

As far as the players go we won’t know until the season starts. All seem to be taking the off seriously with their training.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Hopefully, the answer is "both". I see the starting rotation and the starting eight (as projected on any given day) as about equally strong, with equal weak spots.

Recall that an overwhelmingly dominant team can have obvious, even glaring, weak spots. The '16 Cubs won 103 games with Heyward batting .230, after all. But when a weak spot also enables a strong spot (Heyward's Gold Glove that year), you have mitigating factors.

For example, Gimenez may not be as strong an offensive backup catcher as Caratini, but can take pitching innings in blowouts (one of his specialties). So, one shortfall made up, at least somewhat, by a strong point.

For the most part, this is an answer that is clouded by too many "we have to see how he/they play this year" questions. The offense is better than the pitching IF Lester declines AND Schwarber has an MVP-type season, sure. Or if we have three guys finish 1-2-3 in MVP balloting at the end of the year. But the opposite is true, with the rotation leading the lineup, if we end up with three guys finishing 1-2-3 in the Cy Young balloting.

The fact is, either of those things is possible. Maybe not likely, but more possible than most other NL clubs out there. For example, you can make a case that we have three or four #2 pitchers, any or all of whom could break out for Cy Young type years. And we have three or four young position players who could break out for MVP type years. It all depends on how things go, and that depends on a lot of random factors.

Going into the season, I'd have to say it's all well balanced, with the upgrade to the starting rotation. But I said the same thing in 1985, with the defending NL East champs returning the '84 club pretty well intact. And watched as, one by one, each of the four #1 and #2 starters that team featured went down to injuries, and the early-faved Cubs dwindled back into obscurity.

So -- good question. Ask me again in eight months... ;)

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right now, give me the rotation.... I agree with above, the Cubs have an interesting hitting crew with the odd lead off player to be named and some real inconsistent hitters tossed in there.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Staff. No set lead off going in is the heel.

I know Maddon hasn't announced his plans, but it's not that much of a mystery, is it? I'd go with Heyward or Zobrist against RHPs and Almora against LHPs. Good contact, some OBP, can run the bases. Happ could be another candidate provided he can improve his K%. Keeps Schwarber in the middle of the lineup where he truly belongs.

The Cubs have enough options that it won't be a weakness.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Mulley and Hanley's 5 at 5 today asked the question, what is stronger, the Cubs Starting Lineup or the Cubs Starting Pitching Staff?
Stupid question and premise. They need to come up with better material

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
On paper, there are more question marks with the line up than the rotation, so I'll say the Rotation is stronger at the moment

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I know Maddon hasn't announced his plans, but it's not that much of a mystery, is it? I'd go with Heyward or Zobrist against RHPs and Almora against LHPs. Good contact, some OBP, can run the bases. Happ could be another candidate provided he can improve his K%. Keeps Schwarber in the middle of the lineup where he truly belongs.

The Cubs have enough options that it won't be a weakness.

Honestly I believe they may end up giving Schwarber another shot. I personally believe Kyle approached it wrong last year. He came in thinking take pitches to walk vs waiting for a pitch to drive.

Walks are a product of a approach at the plate vs a goal to attain. If you wait on a pitch to drive and it never comes then defend the plate if behind and take first if they wont attack the plate.

It really is that simple and he went in there looking for a walk. If he can figure it out he is ideal in that spot.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Right now id say the rotation...

They have 4 guys who can go 1 or 2 and Chatwood has potential to be at least a 3..

Line up can be awesome, just need Schwarber and Heyward to hit above 250 all year and produce runs and they can have a lineup that scores a ton of runs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Lineup gets you to the playoffs, Starters carry you in the playoffs.