CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
LOL. It's a frigging practice swing at 70% possibly. It's not worth a tweet.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
reports were coming out that the cubs were shopping Russell this off season after an off season. Nobody would pay the ransom.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
So I looked at Baez the other day on fangraphs and noticed that he leads the majors in swing percentage outside the zone. This is really what makes him such a swing and miss player. Now if you look for what his comp would be if he just lowered his outside the zone swinging from the worst in MLB to 20th worst in MLB you are looking at a comp closer to Cano. He would have to go from 32% to 28% to get there, not really out of reach.

He'd go up to 8-10% in BB and down about 3-4% in K's, and he would likely hit above .300 and 30 homers because he is great at hard contact when he makes that contact.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
So I looked at Baez the other day on fangraphs and noticed that he leads the majors in swing percentage outside the zone. This is really what makes him such a swing and miss player. Now if you look for what his comp would be if he just lowered his outside the zone swinging from the worst in MLB to 20th worst in MLB you are looking at a comp closer to Cano. He would have to go from 32% to 28% to get there, not really out of reach.

He'd go up to 8-10% in BB and down about 3-4% in K's, and he would likely hit above .300 and 30 homers because he is great at hard contact when he makes that contact.
A lot of "ifs" considering Baez has shown himself to be a willful and undisciplined player. What indication is there to suggest improvement? More often than not players dont improve

Last edited:

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
A lot of "ifs" considering Baez has shown himself to be a willful and undisciplined player. What indication is there to suggest improvement? More often than not players dont improve

I only used one "if" and that was cutting down swinging at pitches outside the zone.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Why do you think he will cut down those swings given his undisciplined approach?

Well he has actually gotten worse every year at swinging at pitches outside of the zone, and yet his average has increased. But that is also because he has also seen a rise in pitches per at bat every year, and an increased percent in sliders thrown at him. Eventually that number will start to reverse as he sees more pitches pitchers will pitch fewer sliders as it implies more pitches equals deeper counts and less room for pitches to throw away a pitch.

With Baez his progression won't be linear but it will likely be happening all in one year where he really puts it all together.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Well he has actually gotten worse every year at swinging at pitches outside of the zone, and yet his average has increased. But that is also because he has also seen a rise in pitches per at bat every year, and an increased percent in sliders thrown at him. Eventually that number will start to reverse as he sees more pitches pitchers will pitch fewer sliders as it implies more pitches equals deeper counts and less room for pitches to throw away a pitch.

With Baez his progression won't be linear but it will likely be happening all in one year where he really puts it all together.
Absolutely no indication of what you suggest happening, but we can dream

Iceman2385

Liked Posts:
Yea I think it’s more likely Baez regresses then improves. I honestly don’t get why pitchers ever throw him a strike. Hope I’m wrong, but Baez is my least favorite cub position player. I have no faith in him. Worst in the bigs at swinging at pitches outside the zone! Not bad...THE WORST. He will never be anything like Cano. I just hope he plays well enough to not decrease his trade value, so we can trade him next offseason.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I have absolutely no problem is Baez guesses and corkscrews himself into the ground with no or 1 strike. His 2 strike approach changes and this man will have it all.

Thanks Hendry