Bears 2015-2017 total WR salary cap hits under Pace - dont expect Landry

Luke

Liked Posts:
So there has been all of this talk of which combination of FA WR's who the Bears should sign and it got me wondering just how much the Bears have been spending on WR's under Pace.

So I went to Spotrac and tallied up every significant WR salary for each of the last 3 years which included active, IR, PUP and dead cap money.

As you can see, the totals have been very consistent under Pace's business plan averaging 18 mil per year.

2018 cap is currently at 9 mil after they tender Cam so they have roughly 8-10mil to shell out on WR's and this includes draft picks.

2015 - 18 mil
2016 - 19 mil
2017 - 17 mil

Cap hits rounded - Expressed in millions

2018 So far 9 mil

White 5.3
Meredith 2.8(tender)
Wheaton .8(dead cap)

2017 Total 17 mil

Wheaton 5.3
Wright 1.8
Inman 1.6
Bellamy .6
White 4.5
Meredith .6(IR)
( all dead cap)
Cruz 1.5
Mcbride .4
Thompson .3
Gentry .2

2016 Total 19 mil

Jeffery 11
Thompsn .7
Bellamy .6
Meredith .5
Royal 4.5 (IR)
Wilson 1.7(IR)

2015 Total 18 mil

Royal 5.5
Bellamy .7
Mariani .7
Meredith .4
Thompson .3
Jeffery 1.4(IR)
Wilson .6
White 3(PUP)
Marshall 5.6(dead cap)

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
except that it has been noted that Pace offered large contracts to several players last year, but they chose to sign elsewhere. It isn't because he does not want to pay, it is because the players chose somewhere else.....hopefully with a new QB and a new coach, things will be different.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
You did a lot of work for no real good reason.

I have no idea whether Pace will get Landry or not (or even wants to), but it is illogical to conclude he will not based on past FA spending.

The post is an exercise in faulty generalization fallacy.

Your conclusion is 1) too broad and fails to account for evolution in coaching changes 2) based on a weak premise and a small sample and prematurely jumping to a determination without all of the information required to do so.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
So there has been all of this talk of which combination of FA WR's who the Bears should sign and it got me wondering just how much the Bears have been spending on WR's under Pace.

So I went to Spotrac and tallied up every significant WR salary for each of the last 3 years which included active, IR, PUP and dead cap money.

As you can see, the totals have been very consistent under Pace's business plan averaging 18 mil per year.

2018 cap is currently at 9 mil after they tender Cam so they have roughly 8-10mil to shell out on WR's and this includes draft picks.

2015 - 18 mil
2016 - 19 mil
2017 - 17 mil

Cap hits rounded - Expressed in millions

2018 So far 9 mil

White 5.3
Meredith 2.8(tender)
Wheaton .8(dead cap)

2017 Total 17 mil

Wheaton 5.3
Wright 1.8
Inman 1.6
Bellamy .6
White 4.5
Meredith .6(IR)
( all dead cap)
Cruz 1.5
Mcbride .4
Thompson .3
Gentry .2

2016 Total 19 mil

Jeffery 11
Thompsn .7
Bellamy .6
Meredith .5
Royal 4.5 (IR)
Wilson 1.7(IR)

2015 Total 18 mil

Royal 5.5
Bellamy .7
Mariani .7
Meredith .4
Thompson .3
Jeffery 1.4(IR)
Wilson .6
White 3(PUP)
Marshall 5.6(dead cap)

AMAZING....Do you understand that we were and are in a rebuild and Pace wasn't gonna go out and sign top level WR's (or any players) to big contracts when we weren't ready to take that on and didn't even know who our future QB was gonna be until we got Trubisky last year? How is it that people just don't understand this still? If you're going to rebuild your team usually means that for at least 3 years it's gonna be a process of building the team which most likely comes with losing a lot of games. So why would you go out and sign top level players to big 3-4 year contracts when by the time the team is built back up and ready to compete would be around when that big contract would be expiring? This is why Pace was smart enough to sign guys to just one year deals or to contracts that he can get out of after one year....smart moves.

Usually when i make a shit ton of sense in a post is when i don't get any replies or sensible answers so lets see what happens with this one.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
A lot of work for no real good reason....spot on.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
except that it has been noted that Pace offered large contracts to several players last year, but they chose to sign elsewhere. It isn't because he does not want to pay, it is because the players chose somewhere else.....hopefully with a new QB and a new coach, things will be different.

/thread

Luke

Liked Posts:
took all of about 5 minutes to look up the numbers, no biggie. The salary cap has gone up so they could increase their percentage of WR money, not out of the question but I'm just going off of what they have done the last 3 years. Chill boys.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
That doesn't really mean very much. First of all, I think Pace would clearly go over that average for a really good WR or two. Secondly, Just because Landry gets an average of 13-15Mil per year doesn't mean that he'll have a 14Mil cap hit in 2018. For example, Alshon Jeffery signed for 4 years, 52 million. 13Mil per year. But his cap hit in the 1st year of that deal (2018) is only 4.125Mil. That goes up to 14.25M next year and over 15.8Mil the 2 years after that, but if 18-19Mil is the ideal cap Pace has set for the position, it's still doable.

Could essentially get Landry for a 6-7Mil cap hit in 2018. Then when his cap hit jumps over 14Mil, you have White's contract off the books, potentially Meredith gone giving the team an extra 7Mil at the position.

Luke

Liked Posts:
That doesn't really mean very much. First of all, I think Pace would clearly go over that average for a really good WR or two. Secondly, Just because Landry gets an average of 13-15Mil per year doesn't mean that he'll have a 14Mil cap hit in 2018. For example, Alshon Jeffery signed for 4 years, 52 million. 13Mil per year. But his cap hit in the 1st year of that deal (2018) is only 4.125Mil. That goes up to 14.25M next year and over 15.8Mil the 2 years after that, but if 18-19Mil is the ideal cap Pace has set for the position, it's still doable.

Could essentially get Landry for a 6-7Mil cap hit in 2018. Then when his cap hit jumps over 14Mil, you have White's contract off the books, potentially Meredith gone giving the team an extra 7Mil at the position.

I realize they could back load a contract, much like JA used to do when he was up against the cap but wouldn't think it would be so severe.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I realize they could back load a contract, much like JA used to do when he was up against the cap but wouldn't think it would be so severe.

Well, that's how contracts typically work. And if it doesn't work that way, that's where my "first of all" comes in. A good WR is worth going over an arbitrary cap number for a position that you had when you have largely bad players at that position.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You did a lot of work for no real good reason.

I have no idea whether Pace will get Landry or not (or even wants to), but it is illogical to conclude he will not based on past FA spending.

The post is an exercise in faulty generalization fallacy.

Your conclusion is 1) too broad and fails to account for evolution in coaching changes 2) based on a weak premise and a small sample and prematurely jumping to a determination without all of the information required to do so.
3) Past needs and FA pickups have nothing to do with current needs and FA pickups.

Or

The OP must expect the Bears to pay 18 million for a middling FA QB this year since they did just that last year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You could easily get Landry for a 9 million dollar cap hit and stay to this imaginary nonsensical budget.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Already been said but yeah, the team wasn't set up to attract free agents and Pace would be a complete fool to avoid surrounding his prized #2 overall quarterback with weapons. He's already swung and missed at getting better free agents because they didn't want to come here. Shouldn't be the same case this off-season as the defense is solid (assuming we don't lose many of our starting corners) and the offense is going to be on the upswing.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Not to mention, Pace’s first priority and goal towards the rebuild was to build up the defense, especially up front, and get younger with more speed. However, the biggest goal was to obtain a franchise QB. Without that you’re not going anywhere.

Nowhere during a lengthy rebuild with Jay as your QB is it a good idea to tie up money in expensive receivers. Now that the dynamics have changed somewhat, it would not be surprising for Pace to stray from past strategies. How much will he stray though is the big question.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
AMAZING....Do you understand that we were and are in a rebuild and Pace wasn't gonna go out and sign top level WR's (or any players) to big contracts when we weren't ready to take that on and didn't even know who our future QB was gonna be until we got Trubisky last year? How is it that people just don't understand this still? If you're going to rebuild your team usually means that for at least 3 years it's gonna be a process of building the team which most likely comes with losing a lot of games. So why would you go out and sign top level players to big 3-4 year contracts when by the time the team is built back up and ready to compete would be around when that big contract would be expiring? This is why Pace was smart enough to sign guys to just one year deals or to contracts that he can get out of after one year....smart moves.

Usually when i make a shit ton of sense in a post is when i don't get any replies or sensible answers so lets see what happens with this one.

I’ll challenge you on this because it’s been reported that Ryan Pace made a huge multi year offer to AJ Bouye.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Well, that's how contracts typically work. And if it doesn't work that way, that's where my "first of all" comes in. A good WR is worth going over an arbitrary cap number for a position that you had when you have largely bad players at that position.

Yeah, I did post this before my first cup of joe and didn’t think that a “draft first” team would back load a contract – my bad. I guess I was surprised by the consistent WR salary totals during his 3 years. Even still, it will be interesting to see if Pace puts most of his eggs in one basket or spreads it around a bit.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I think White's salary is missing in 2016 not that it will change the overall numbers completely.

If it wasn't obvious to anyone, the team could do nothing with Cutler's contract still on the books. The moment Jay was released when it would not blow up the cap structure of the team going forward, Pace went balls deep into Trubisky. He then proceeded to move on from Fox who's main job was to tear down the team and rebuild the culture (regardless of wins) which he did a pretty good job at. Now, the Bears have a new coach that the team should actually improve with due to the influx of a few good drafts. This is phase II which is let's start building with wins instead of losses.

If this sounds familiar, this is the Theo Epstein model for building a contender. Not that it always guarantees success, but Theo bid his time with the Cubs letting bad contracts expire or moving expiring contracts for cost-controlled players with upside (which is a missing element that applies across the NFL as a whole) and drafting well. At the same time, he chewed through two managers that were simply there to collect a paycheck.

The question is will Nagy be Rick Renteria or Joe Maddon for the Bears?