Dolphins expected to Franchise Tag Landry

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Good lord I'm embarrassed for some of you....

It's one fucking player. Get the hell over it already.

Bring back Cam. Sign Marqise Lee. Sign Albert Wilson. Spend a 2nd and a 4th on WR's and that group would be a hell of a lot better than the crap we trotted out last year. (or some variation of this)

They're not going to get a star in free agency. You have to draft those guys 9 out of 10 times. And you don't have to do it round 1 either.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I think you’d have a better argument with either Trubisky or Floyd.

The bears had many needs so I guess you can say any pick was a need pick but I dont think White was BPA at 7. Maybe after the 10th pick but definitely not at 7. But whatever.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Per @ProFootballTalk, the #Dolphins decision to franchise Jarvis Landry at the start of the period to tag players is "being interpreted as a desire" by Miami to potentially trade him.

As Windy and others have pointed out numerous times it'll be hard for them to afford him.... so this makes perfect sense. They can drop the tag any time. This just gives them some control over him and maybe they get a mid or late round pick out of the deal. Who knows.... this is the opening shots in several month long process.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Mock drafts are mostly based on what teams will draft and not what they should. Many mocks have ridley going 8 to the bears. Not because he should drafted at 8 but that is what will likely happen.

You need to follow the people that matter and you'll see that thier final ranking a week before the draft are nearly spot on within the top 10. That is fact.

Pre combine mocks are nothing more than killing time.

White was never falling out of the top 10.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As Windy and others have pointed out numerous times it'll be hard for them to afford him.... so this makes perfect sense. They can drop the tag any time. This just gives them some control over him and maybe they get a mid or late round pick out of the deal. Who knows.... this is the opening shots in several month long process.

Chad Forbes actually predicted this.

12. Miami trades WR Jarvis Landry (25) - Transition Tendered - to Baltimore for Pick 83 & a 2019 5th Rd Selection

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The bears had many needs so I guess you can say any pick was a need pick but I dont think White was BPA at 7. Maybe after the 10th pick but definitely not at 7. But whatever.

Tons of people thought he was the BPA at 7. The pick didn't work out but it certainly wasn't a reach.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Chad Forbes actually predicted this.

12. Miami trades WR Jarvis Landry (25) - Transition Tendered - to Baltimore for Pick 83 & a 2019 5th Rd Selection

Landry was probably too rich for my tastes as a free agent alone..... spending all that money PLUS draft picks seems ludicrous.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Good lord I'm embarrassed for some of you....

It's one fucking player. Get the hell over it already.

Bring back Cam. Sign Marqise Lee. Sign Albert Wilson. Spend a 2nd and a 4th on WR's and that group would be a hell of a lot better than the crap we trotted out last year. (or some variation of this)

They're not going to get a star in free agency. You have to draft those guys 9 out of 10 times. And you don't have to do it round 1 either.
Agree............Sounds like the Rams plan from last year. Acquire two veteran wr's, and draft two more.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Landry was probably too rich for my tastes as a free agent alone..... spending all that money PLUS draft picks seems ludicrous.

The Dolphins are completely screwing Landry over by limiting his suitors. He could fuck them by not signing the tender.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

I guess it depends on what the compensation. The odds of getting a player better then Landry after the 1st round is very small. Obviously I'm not trading our 1st round pick for him but i'd definitely trade our 2nd rounder for him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You were so confident that the Dolphins couldn't franchise him. Now what?

No, they always could. But this Absolutley detonates their cap situation. They need to cut Juwan James, Lawrence Timmons and Julius Thomas to get to 28 million, which becomes 12 with the tag.

They are going to restructure Suh which will mean he has close to a 30 million dollar cap hit and 18 in dead money moving forward.

I think they are trying to trade him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not getting Landry doesn’t mean the Bears are screwed are WR.

It does mean they will take on more risk and inconsistency at the position.

Landry offered durability and consistency that most guys in the 2nd teir do not.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I guess it depends on what the compensation. The odds of getting a player better then Landry after the 1st round is very small. Obviously I'm not trading our 1st round pick for him but i'd definitely trade our 2nd rounder for him.

You're fucking high if you'd spend a 2nd round pick PLUS pay him 12-16 million a year.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
No, they always could. But this Absolutley detonates their cap situation. They need to cut Juwan James, Lawrence Timmons and Julius Thomas to get to 28 million, which becomes 12 with the tag.

They are going to restructure Suh which will mean he has close to a 30 million dollar cap hit and 18 in dead money moving forward.

Yes, it's a move to not just let him walk and get nothing for him. Now it's about who will be the highest bidder.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

It sounds like they just don’t want Landry tampered with before free agency...

Typically, franchise tags get applied near the end of the two-week window for doing so, not the beginning. As mentioned on PFT Live this week, an early tag happens only when the team wants to send a message.

As to Miami’s decision to tag receiver Jarvis Landry, the content — and recipient — of the message isn’t clear. Surely, the Dolphins had one or more reasons for doing it on the first day.

Here’s a potentially significant possibility: By tagging Landry now and removing any doubt as to his status, Landry’s agent (and in turn Landry) won’t become aware next week at Tampering Central a/k/a the Scouting Combine of the long-term offers that other teams would make if Landry wasn’t tagged.

I don’t think the Dolphins have any leverage in a trade, they’d have to just rescind the tag right before the free agency period begun.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I will flip 2nd round picks with them and you can keep him out of the AFC.

If not Tannenbaum can bag load all his deals and blow his cap.

mcbear34

Here for the Wins
Liked Posts:
Fins are looking for a trade in the top 10 IMO. QB for sure.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Whether you wanted Landry or not this hurts the Bears.

The market becomes tighter and more competive.

Now we have a GM who has struggled to land his top targets, who has struggled at the WR position, in a smaller more expensive talent pool. Not good.

How did he struggle? He has no control on the jags franchising Landry. He can’t read the future and see that white would get hurt back to back and also Meredith’s injury.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Fins are looking for a trade in the top 10 IMO. QB for sure.

Uhhh I'm pretty sure they're set at QB...

jay.gif

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
My heart bleeds for the mock offseason artists.....

How dare a team decide to keep one of their playmakers to try and stay competitive? Does the Miami GM know how hard some of these posters worked on their pipedreams of Landry becoming a bear? And he coldly just......did what's best for his team.