Rams could franchise tag Lamarcus Joyner over Sammy Watkins

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In a mostly depressing day for Bears news, much like the first day of free agency last season, I will go ahead and inject a bit of optimism:

The Rams have been trying to get a long term deal done with their safety Lamarcus Joyner, arguably the top free safety in the NFL this past season, to no avail. Now Ian Rapoport is reporting that the Rams may decide to place the franchise tag on Joyner to keep him...

S Lamarcus Joyner

Projected price: $11.08M (franchise), $9.50M (transition)

Reason for: This might remind some of the Rams' situation last year with cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who was franchised a second time because the team simply could not afford to lose him to the free-agent market at that point in the offseason. The Rams similarly can't afford to lose Joyner. They've lost three key members of their secondary since the end of the 2015 season -- Rodney McLeod, Janoris Jenkins and T.J. McDonald -- and could lose a fourth if Johnson doesn't return. Joyner might be the best of them all. Pro Football Focus made him the third-highest-graded safety in 2017, his first year transitioning away from slot corner. He's small -- listed at 5-foot-8, 190 pounds -- but he hits big and brings great ball skills. A franchise tag makes sense because Joyner is coming off his first year as a full-time defensive player, and one more season in that role would allow the Rams to get a better sense for his fit in the market.

Reason against: Franchising Joyner might mean running the risk of not bringing back Watkins. It also might mean not locking up Joyner long term, and the Rams have appeared willing to do that dating back to last offseason. Joyner's price has risen significantly since then. But in that time, he also fit perfectly into Wade Phillips' system and established himself as the Rams' best defensive player outside of Donald. The highest-paid safeties make somewhere in the neighborhood of $13 million a year, and Joyner has that kind of skill set, small as he might be. In an ideal scenario, the Rams would agree to a long-term deal with Joyner before the start of free agency, on March 14, which would then allow them to use their franchise tag on Watkins if they so choose. But the ideal scenario hardly ever presents itself. And if they don't sense enough willingness from Joyner's side to get something done, they might need to act by burning their franchise tag on him.

Late last year, I did a write up on how Sammy Watkins would fit in the Bears offense, here is the link...

FIXING THE WR POSITION (SAMMY WATKINS)

While he did not have a particularly great season last year, Watkins would seamlessly fit the exact role Ryan Pace envisioned for Kevin White when he drafted him with the #7 overall pick.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I doubt Sammy Watkins will want to leave with as well as the Rams are doing as of late and Sean McVay seems like a great coach to play under.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I doubt Sammy Watkins will want to leave with as well as the Rams are doing as of late and Sean McVay seems like a great coach to play under.

It all depends on what the rams are willing to offer. Pace better be ready to overpay for a wr.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

He was unhappy about his role and lack of targets which have been way down since his first couple of years in the league.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
He was unhappy about his role and lack of targets which have been way down since his first couple of years in the league.

Agreed he only had 593 yards last year so despite how great the Rams were last year he may consider leaving for the right price

That said... man I would not want to overpay this guy. He is a perennial underperformer and I can't imagine getting paid in free agency will improve that.

If they structure it right, I would consider.

We have to give Trubisky some weapons

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Sammy Watkins is a bit of a diva but he came out later on and said how he liked playing for the Rams and that story was taken the wrong way.

Injuries, Diva, and can be lazy I'd rather look elsewhere.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
This is great news! Watkins should cost a bit less than Landry coming off a down year and actually fits better for what the Bears need.

Speed

Liked Posts:
Im good on Watkins. Dude seems to complain a lot.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Agreed he only had 593 yards last year so despite how great the Rams were last year he may consider leaving for the right price

That said... man I would not want to overpay this guy. He is a perennial underperformer and I can't imagine getting paid in free agency will improve that.

If they structure it right, I would consider.

We have to give Trubisky some weapons

Completely agree. He’d have to come on a great deal but no way would I feel comfortable paying large guarantees for him.

At this point, assuming Robinson and Watkins are off the market, I would focus my attention on re-signing Wright and Meredith, signing Burton and one of Wilson/Lee and then draft a WR in round 2 if they don’t trade back and get one. Preferably Kirk in the trade down scenario.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He would be a nice addition.

We are desperate so the health scares we will need to live with.

Please god let them tag Joyner.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
He has lots of ability and is still only 24. The big worries are health issues and a decline in production from the first two years to his last two, but he’s probably worth the risk if available. Of the available options he’s up there.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Question: How much better is he than Kendall Wright? Hard to compare because the Bears passing game was the worst in the NFL, but Wright still had more receptions than Watkins, and apparently Watkins lost some favor in LA..

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I would overpay for Watkins before I overpay for the other two, here's why;

1. You are overpaying due to lack of production, not a lack of skillset. Sammy is as gifted as they come physically. He is bigger, stronger and faster than almost every CB he lines up across from. He can play outside or in the slot. He can be a threat in the backfield on reverses. He can beat you over the top or for a jump ball. Landry/Robinson didn't have all of those qualities in one.

2. The "overypay" has a much better chance of living up to the value in the end. Sammy Watkins production was very good in his first two years with subpar QB play for the Bills. Injuries hindered his 3rd year and he got traded during training camp so he had to relocate, learn a different playbook and build chemistry and timing with a new QB with the season only a few weeks away. That's tough. What we do know about Sammy is that, at his best he is capable of being a top 10 WR and a go to guy. He had 1000 yards, 9 TD's and averaged 17 yards per catch in 13 games in 2015. He is still only 24 years old as well, 25 when the season begins.

So what do you pay him? Give him 4yr/56 million with 22 million guaranteed and call it a day.

Luke

Liked Posts:
If Landry does leave LA, he's going to have numerous suitors for his services all willing to pay him top buck. What are the realistic chances that he ends up choosing this cellar dweller team?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would overpay for Watkins before I overpay for the other two, here's why;

1. You are overpaying due to lack of production, not a lack of skillset. Sammy is as gifted as they come physically. He is bigger, stronger and faster than almost every CB he lines up across from. He can play outside or in the slot. He can be a threat in the backfield on reverses. He can beat you over the top or for a jump ball. Landry/Robinson didn't have all of those qualities in one.

2. The "overypay" has a much better chance of living up to the value in the end. Sammy Watkins production was very good in his first two years with subpar QB play for the Bills. Injuries hindered his 3rd year and he got traded during training camp so he had to relocate, learn a different playbook and build chemistry and timing with a new QB with the season only a few weeks away. That's tough. What we do know about Sammy is that, at his best he is capable of being a top 10 WR and a go to guy. He had 1000 yards, 9 TD's and averaged 17 yards per catch in 13 games in 2015. He is still only 24 years old as well, 25 when the season begins.

So what do you pay him? Give him 4yr/56 million with 22 million guaranteed and call it a day.

I would pay Watkins big money.

But you are too quick to look past a checkered injury history. Injuries derail more careers than anything else.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Landry does leave LA, he's going to have numerous suitors for his services all willing to pay him top buck. What are the realistic chances that he ends up choosing this cellar dweller team?

You have to pay him

4 years 58 million/32 guaranteed, with big money year 1 to push away teams like Baltimore.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have to pay him

4 years 58 million/32 guaranteed, with big money year 1 to push away teams like Baltimore.

It should be easy to outbid Baltimore, there’s no way they restructure Flacco’s contract. It would be Cleveland and San Francisco. Cleveland has no QB. Garoppolo is a terrible downfield passer, and Watkins is not a jump ball catcher that can adjust to that.

Viciousjay

Liked Posts:
This is great news! Watkins should cost a bit less than Landry coming off a down year and actually fits better for what the Bears need.

Watkins will get paid, watch, even though his numbers don't reflect it.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You have to pay him

Wow, $32 mil guaranteed for Sammy Watkins. That's a lot for a guy that gets hurt as much as he does and coming from someone who's been complaining about the Wheaton signing and and about K.White it's kinda hard to understand why you'd be willing to not only sign this guy to 4 years and $58 mil but to also give him $32 mil guaranteed.

I love the talent that Sammy has but i'm already thinking about all the threads/posts about how dumb Pace was to sign this guy to such a big contract as soon as he gets hurt from the same people that are saying we should sign him...lol

I still couldn't say i'd be mad at signing him cause we need talent at WR so badly right now but 4 years.....$58 mil......$32 mil guaranteed.....that's some scary shit right there.