Kawhi Leonard cleared, opts not to play (à la D-Rose 2013)

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Apparently, Kawhi is still feeling pain in his right quad and there isn't a proper medical explanation as to why. It is said he will play if he can manage the pain but the Spurs are said to be "moving on" from him for this season.

Much like the Bulls in 2012-13, when Derrick Rose opted to play it safe with his ACL injury, these Spurs are in the thick of the playoff race.

Many Spurs' fans are turning on Leonard as Bulls' fans did Rose.

Fair or unfair?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well they better run him out of town and hate him for the rest of his career to match the DRose comparison. Though, pretty sure that Kawhi will not have as many injury plagued years in the next few seasons.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
https://quayhealth.com.au/kawhi-leonard-quadriceps-tendinopathy/

I'm not taking a singular medical opinion as truth necessarily, but I think it's possibly a misdiagnosis and his injury could be pertaining to his patella rather than his quad. That and from what I understand, rehab from quad tendinopathy has to address not just the injured area, but the lower leg which would be compensating for tendinopathy. These are possibly things missed. Or,well, it could be a bit more complicated than I'm making it out to be.

Not an athlete, but interesting case study:

http://www.completesportscare.com.au/2014/10/tendinopathy-case-study-unresponsive-quads-tendinopathy/

Medical discussion of Kawhi's injury:
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/medical-expert-discusses-kawhi-leonards-mysterious-injury-and-whats-next-for-him/

Kawhi is clearly frustrated with his progress, which is understandable, especially considering how Parker came back with a more serious injury than him. Thing is, a torn tendon addressed w/ surgery is more cut-and-dry. At the same time, the whole thing is still odd.

I'm not putting the full blame on the medical staff, but the Spurs have a pretty good one, and you would think they can get this figured out and ameliorate chronic pain by this point.

I don't exactly with agree with Kawhi's decision, but,again, I see where he's coming from. He's been cleared, but it doesn't appear that he is or is going to be 100%. Unfortunately, this ordeal has caused a schism between Kawhi and the Spurs that might be too much to come back from. We'll see.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont know if its a mis diagnosis, but they definitely are not smart enough to say why it still hurts.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I think as similar as the situations look they are still different

Rose was cleared to play but his ghetto doctors in his family diagnosed him to sit. Then he chose to rehab with his fuck buddy

I believe Kwai genuinely wants to play and tried to actually but just doesn’t feel right

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think as similar as the situations look they are still different

Rose was cleared to play but his ghetto doctors in his family diagnosed him to sit. Then he chose to rehab with his fuck buddy

I believe Kwai genuinely wants to play and tried to actually but just doesn’t feel right

Huh? Jen Swanson was a fuck buddy and Rose got diagnosed by his own ghetto doctors?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Leonard could be entering free agency soon, while Rose just came off signing a contract that changed salary cap rules. Kinda/Sorta different.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well he did come back for a few games so he really did try to play and probably really did not feel right.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
I think I saw someone tweet this to Silvy. They said if the Bulls finish with a top 5 pick and the NO pick is top 15, would you trade that package for Kawhi as long as he is willing to commit long term?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I think I saw someone tweet this to Silvy. They said if the Bulls finish with a top 5 pick and the NO pick is top 15, would you trade that package for Kawhi as long as he is willing to commit long term?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe after huffing glue for 72 hours straight.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
There was more reasons why Rose got backlash other than sitting out after being cleared.

-His brother blasted the front office/team mid-season and threatened that Rose wouldn't return.
-Rose refused to give a straight answer about coming back or not.
-Gave silly excuses "110%" "Only God Knows" "Muscle Memory"

So i say unfair. If Kawhi says hes still hurting i believe him.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There was more reasons why Rose got backlash other than sitting out after being cleared.

-His brother blasted the front office/team mid-season and threatened that Rose wouldn't return.
-Rose refused to give a straight answer about coming back or not.
-Gave silly excuses "110%" "Only God Knows" "Muscle Memory"

So i say unfair. If Kawhi says hes still hurting i believe him.

These situations might be more similar than you think. Leonard has reportedly been distant with the team and his uncle has been said to be meddling with affairs of the front office as well.

Say what you want about Rose and his eye-roll statements. They are more about him being a terrible public speaker than being a bad player/teammate/person. His injuries were ultimately serious enough that it derailed his vertical leap and ultimately his career.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
At the end of the day, all Rose did was delay the inevitable. I still feel that last injury in New York coming 10 games before the end of the season and free agency did him in mentally.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
At the end of the day, all Rose did was delay the inevitable. I still feel that last injury in New York coming 10 games before the end of the season and free agency did him in mentally.

He was done mentally long before that.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Apparently his uncle has been a huge problem for the Spurs and is the main reason for the rift.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The Derrick Rose 30 for 30 is going to be awesome.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I retract my previous post.

This is shaping up to be #TheReturn deux.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Spurs had a closed door players only meeting to try to get Leonard to decide to play last night so they can make a push to the playoffs.