Man.... schwarber looks..... weird now

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
On other note: Happ looks like that he is taking to the lead off so far. Almora not so much.

Almora is not a leadoff hitter, but I think he'll be better overall player than Happ and I would think he'll get more playing time. Still these are young guys and maybe Happ proves me wrong.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Almora is not a leadoff hitter, but I think he'll be better overall player than Happ and I would think he'll get more playing time. Still these are young guys and maybe Happ proves me wrong.
Happ will prove you wrong.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Happ is also more valuable than Almora with the ability to take more of the Zobrist role.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Happ will prove you wrong.

That would be fine, I hope he does. So far I'm not a huge fan. I just don't see that he's ever going to do one thing exceptionally. That doesn't mean I don't think he'll be a good player, because I do. I just think given time Almora is going to be a productive little hitter and should be top tier in CF.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Not entirely sure I agree on either point. Almora can clearly bat lead off vs LHP. The question is how much he's able to hit RHP. If the 2nd half numbers from last year are legit there's no reason to believe he can't lead off. That's not to say he's fowler with a .360+ OBP but I feel like he's the classic 80's lead off hitter in terms of play style. That is to say a guy with great contact who in theory could just spoil pitch after pitch until he gets something he likes.

On Happ vs Almora, I think Happ is a really legit hitter and that's why I wasn't opposed to the idea of trading Baez. Almora's more than serviceable but I think Happ may end up an all-star when all is said and done.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
That would be fine, I hope he does. So far I'm not a huge fan. I just don't see that he's ever going to do one thing exceptionally. That doesn't mean I don't think he'll be a good player, because I do. I just think given time Almora is going to be a productive little hitter and should be top tier in CF.
What is the one thing that Zobrist has done "exceptionally"?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Hit game winning doubles in the world series? That's the one right?
LOL. I mean in his career...what stands out? Super-sub stands out. He has the ability to play all over the place. Happ has that ability. He's a SH like Zobrist. He has pop in his bat. There isn't any comparison between him and Almora. Two different players bringing different abilities to the team. Almora can be a nice player. His style goes behind hitters, not in front of them. He doesn't take enough pitches to be a leadoff hitter. I'd be pissed if he was the leadoff hitter on my local Juco team.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Happ will hit 35 HRs every year, average glove and will be a team leader. Guess we want none of that

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
What is the one thing that Zobrist has done "exceptionally"?

Fair point. He compiled a hell of a lot of WAR being a jack of all trades with a terrific OPS and a damned consistent wRC+ over a long period of time. If That's who Ian Happ is I'm on board. I just don't see him being the hitter y'all do. That's all. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Fair point. He compiled a hell of a lot of WAR being a jack of all trades with a terrific OPS and a damned consistent wRC+ over a long period of time. If That's who Ian Happ is I'm on board. I just don't see him being the hitter y'all do. That's all. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

"We really feel he was one of the top if not the best college hitter in this year's Draft," McLeod said. "We feel really confident in that."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Happ will hit 35 HRs every year, average glove and will be a team leader. Guess we want none of that

I would guess 20 HR’s due to his strike out rate. .260/.350/.500 could end up his slash on avg. for a lead off that is outstanding.

Almora has the 4th feel. Late inning D relief and holds a high contact rate which is ideal for your main pinch hitter. He puts the ball into play 70% of the time so he is a ideal bat used when needed. LaStella seems his lefty counter to the role. Zobrist honestly is better suited used to platoon with Schwarber and Baez going up against their unfavorable match ups. Being that he is injury prone it is better to not have him coming off the bench cold.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Happ is also more valuable than Almora with the ability to take more of the Zobrist role.

An average at best CF is not on my wish list. I don't dislike Happ, but I am not looking forward to Joe playing him in CF and batting him leadoff.

Play your best defensive CF and don't look back.

Happ should be in LF when he plays, and I would prefer Schwarber get the most playing time there.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
An average at best CF is not on my wish list. I don't dislike Happ, but I am not looking forward to Joe playing him in CF and batting him leadoff.

Play your best defensive CF and don't look back.

Happ should be in LF when he plays, and I would prefer Schwarber get the most playing time there.

I don't think Happ is particularly a CF. I think he's either a LF or a second basemen who can play CF in a pinch. I wouldn't say he's a particularly amazing 2B either but I think the metrics would suggest he's good enough especially when you're generally looking for a bat out of 2B rather than SS level defense. All that being said, I think him being a utility knife is kind of nice honestly. Because he's a switch hitter you have one player who masks issues of potentially 3 others in Schwarber, Almora and Baez. Ideally Schwarber comes into his own hitting not just in general but also against LHP in which case that need lessens but having a versatile guy is a big deal. We've seen how Zobrist's career has gone though admittedly Zobrist was a much better defender at multiple positions

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
IMO, Happ will have a better career than Schwarber or Almora

CSF77

Liked Posts:
IMO, Happ will have a better career than Schwarber or Almora

I’m not sure with Schwarber. He has shed 20 lbs and looks shredded. I would wait to see if that translates to the plate.

Almora has a better hit tool and has All star level CF instincts. Talent wise he is not at Happ’s level but closes the gap in baseball IQ.

I believe Happ has a higher celing than Almora. It is more about experience with him and mastering routes. Almora has that natural ability which makes his D play up over his talent.

Bat wise just comes down to a near .300 hitter with a .330 OBA vs a .260 hitter with a .360 OBA. That plus 2X the HR power.

I’m pretty sure if you weigh the variables Happ adds more wins over all

But arguing Baez and Almora? Both are incomplete. Baez has more talent again. But again it comes down to Almora being able to max out his talent vs Baez being flashy vs disaplined.

It really comes down to performance between the 2 that dictates