"Chicago's push for Amazon's HQ2 gets help from Bears coach Matt Nagy"

Sammich

Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...q2-peoples-pitch-0223-biz-20180222-story.html

Chicago’s bid to land Amazon’s sought-after second headquarters is getting some outside help from the likes of Chicago Bears coach Matt Nagy and the staff of heavy metal-themed burger joint Kuma’s Corner.

Along with city business and community leaders, they talked up Chicago’s virtues in a video assembled by a group of 18 public affairs and communications firms collaborating to help bring Amazon’s second headquarters to the Second City.

Amazon launched an unusually public search for the site of its second headquarters in September, when it announced it was seeking proposals from cities interested in landing the project. Earlier this year, Amazon culled a list of 238 applicants to 20, including Chicago.

The city assembled a 600-member committee featuring prominent figures such as United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz, former U.S. Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker, Loop Capital Chairman and CEO Jim Reynolds, and Abbott Chairman and CEO Miles White to help woo Amazon to one of the 10 Chicago-area sites it’s pitching.

But the firms behind the group calling itself the People’s Pitch wanted to provide a way for residents and organizations that might not be part of the official campaign to voice their support, said David Goldenberg, executive vice president at Resolute Consulting.

“We’re very supportive of the bid and want to do our part to be supportive,” Goldenberg said.

A video released Thursday shows 16 Chicagoans, including Nagy, the Kuma’s team, Little Village Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Jaime di Paulo and LIUNA Laborers’ Local 1001 President Nikki Hayes, talking up the city’s virtues.

Some nod to factors Amazon said it plans to weigh in its location choice, including an Illinois Institute of Technology student commenting on the city’s diversity; Monsignor Ken Velo, DePaul University’s senior director of Catholic collaboration, touting the city’s higher educational institutions; and Meghan Harte, executive director of Local Initiatives Support Corporation Chicago, noting wide-ranging cultural and entertainment options.

Black Ensemble Theater founder and CEO Jackie Taylor and Metropolitan Family Services CEO Ric Estrada said they were invited to participate and agreed because of the potential jobs and economic impact Amazon could bring.

“Everybody I know is on board with this, from the corporate rooms to the community,” Estrada said.

Not only would Chicago benefit, but “why the hell wouldn’t they come to Chicago?” Taylor said. “I don’t understand why they’re looking at other cities in the first place.”

The group’s website, www.ChicagoIsAllIn.com, also has longer videos with a handful of participants and a pitch to Chicagoans on the benefits Amazon’s campus could bring.

Later, the group plans to run a contest asking Chicagoans for ideas to build an “ultimate itinerary” highlighting the city and its neighborhoods for whenever Amazon comes to visit.

Although the city is aware of the project, it’s an independent effort, organizers said. All of the work is being done pro bono by the 18 firms, though some have supported or worked with city and state agencies, Goldenberg said.

Resolute Consulting was founded by Greg Goldner, formerly a campaign manager for Mayor Rahm Emanuel. Goldner and Resolute partners Dave Smolensky and Rob Nash formed political action committee For a Better Chicago in late 2010 to help elect a pro-Emanuel City Council.

Becky Carroll, president and CEO of C-Strategies, ran Chicago Forward, a political action committee supporting Emanuel and aldermanic candidates in 2015. She also served as spokeswoman for former Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

Rikeesha Phelon served as Illinois Senate President John Cullerton’s press secretary before founding Phelon Public Strategies, another firm participating in the group.

The city put together its own video as part of its sales pitch to Amazon but cast William Shatner as narrator over city residents. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is a noted fan of the “Star Trek” franchise, in which Shatner played Capt. James T. Kirk.

That video has not yet been made public. “We do not have any plans to release anything that could compromise our bid’s competitiveness,” Emanuel spokesman Grant Klinzman said in an email.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I would love if chicago got it but it will probably go to washington or northern virginia. Bezos owns a home there and the washington post.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly think it is going to Denver.....not too far from California...lots of room to grow.....decent taxes.......plus MJ and skiing....

That being said, not sure I want it here.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Amazon will pick Austin. They would not have mentioned Austin in their Super Bowl commercial if it was not the choice or at the very top of the list.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
As a someone employed in the tech industry in the Seattle area, woe be to anyone that ends up working at Amazon. I've hired more refugees who burnt out at Amazon than any other company in the area.

Maybe it's gotten better, but Amazon has traditionally been an awful company to work for at every level (except maybe C level people never had to hire any of them)

Darnell Mooney

The Member
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
[video=youtube_share;johUQhDBZwY]https://youtu.be/johUQhDBZwY[/video]

"1:09"

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are rumors it will be in the Virginia area

BPo001

Liked Posts:
Just hoping it's not Dallas. We have enough traffic with all the other big companies moving in.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Illinois/Chicago didn't have full-Special person leadership I might be excited for it.

Maybe the boost to revenue/jobs would push for some investment in improved infrastructure.

Perhaps improve the commuter rail lines... Metra and CTA.

But you know what would happen if Amazon moved here?

Uh, nothing really.... some jobs at the facility and some temporary jobs to build their new campus and Chicago/Illinois would piss away any chance at improving anything long term.

Bunch of dum cuke fuk urmoms if I do say so myself.

Mitchapalooza

If Illinois/Chicago didn't have full-Special person leadership I might be excited for it.

Maybe the boost to revenue/jobs would push for some investment in improved infrastructure.

Perhaps improve the commuter rail lines... Metra and CTA.

But you know what would happen if Amazon moved here?

Uh, nothing really.... some jobs at the facility and some temporary jobs to build their new campus and Chicago/Illinois would piss away any chance at improving anything long term.

Bunch of dum cuke fuk urmoms if I do say so myself.
All I want is fixed potholes right now. They're everywhere

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Getting amazon to come to town is a great story

The story no one talks about is will the benefit outweigh the tax incentives amazon will get to come to town. Might cost a city more then any perceived benefits

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
All I want is fixed potholes right now. They're everywhere

Every year, as soon as plowing happens.... fucking streets are destroyed.

I know people who live in the city limits of Chicago think it is just really bad for them... it isn't... it is bad out in the burbs too.

Mitchapalooza

Every year, as soon as plowing happens.... fucking streets are destroyed.

I know people who live in the city limits of Chicago think it is just really bad for them... it isn't... it is bad out in the burbs too.

yeah the side streets that surround my house are littered with them. Everyone looks like a drunk driver when they drive down them.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
More jobs are better than fewer jobs. If Amazon is a bad place to work employees will leave and go work for Shifty or somewhere else. I've had jobs I hated, I found a better jobs.

Not wanting Amazon in Chicago because they're employees are cranky is Special person. If the employees are talented/valuable enough to find other work they will, if they are not good enough to find other work, they should be cranky at themselves for sucking at their jobs.

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
Amazon and the city of chicago are exemplary of whats wrong with this country