It's time

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That line up is directly off of the Cubs site.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I see Almora as every day starter in RF soon. Heyward's bat can't be in the lineup regularly.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I see Almora as every day starter in RF soon. Heyward's bat can't be in the lineup regularly.
I think if that the case, Happ would play RF and Almora CF..

Though knowing Maddon, he'd just play Zobrist in RF against lefties

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Am i missing something with Holland?
Why hasnt he signed yet?

I would love it if the cubs can bring him in ...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Am i missing something with Holland?
Why hasnt he signed yet?

I would love it if the cubs can bring him in ...

It's the draft pick. I don't think anyone wants to give him a multiple year deal and aren't willing to pony up the compensation pick for 1 year of service. I'm guessing he waits to sign until after the June draft when the compensation pick no longer applies. If Morrow is struggling at that time in the closer role I would fully expect the Cubs to take a look.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Zobrist is getting less playing time this year. He's been getting some innings at 1B, so he can spell Rizzo every now and then. Zo will mostly get his time in OF, it appears, but the platoon will be Heyward/Almora, and I bet Almora can hit RHP just as well as Heyward.

Cubs' Jason Heyward: Not guaranteed regular playing time
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire
Heyward could find himself on the bench more often this season if young players like Kyle Schwarber and Albert Almora play well, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Manager Joe Maddon was noncommittal when talking about his outfield alignment, saying "it's going to be a juggling situation" for playing time. Ian Happ seems to have center field secured right now, and Schwarber is penciled into left. That leaves Heyward and Almora to play right field, though Almora can also slide over to center and bump Happ to a corner spot. Veteran Ben Zobrist is also in the mix to play the outfield on occasion. Heyward is in the third year of an eight-year, $184 million deal, but he's yet to produce much at the plate for the Cubs. His defense keeps him on the field, though that doesn't move the needle in fantasy.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/teams/page/CHC/chicago-cubs?shareId=33671125#NewsAnchor

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Zobrist is getting less playing time this year. He's been getting some innings at 1B, so he can spell Rizzo every now and then. Zo will mostly get his time in OF, it appears, but the platoon will be Heyward/Almora, and I bet Almora can hit RHP just as well as Heyward.
I would hope and think he will get less playing time...

It Maddon were talking about though...

I did say he been playing alot of 1st this ST, so i hope that an indication of him getting most of his PT giving Rizzo a day off here and there and coming in late in blowout games...

I also think he'll give Baez/Russell rest days against tough RHers..

Just think though that Maddon will eventually go to him in RF if Heyward sucksass..
Hope to be wrong there and he does give Almora that opportunity..

Guy was overlooked last year in favor of Jay and now this year he got passed up for Happ..

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I would hope and think he will get less playing time...

It Maddon were talking about though...

I did say he been playing alot of 1st this ST, so i hope that an indication of him getting most of his PT giving Rizzo a day off here and there and coming in late in blowout games...

I also think he'll give Baez/Russell rest days against tough RHers..

Just think though that Maddon will eventually go to him in RF if Heyward sucksass..
Hope to be wrong there and he does give Almora that opportunity..

Guy was overlooked last year in favor of Jay and now this year he got passed up for Happ..

He got passed up for Happ for good reason. Happ is a switch who takes pitches. That's leadoff material, which is what the team lacked last season. Almora isnt that kind of hitter. There isn't any reason he can't be the starting RF over Heyward though...provided Happ continues to develop.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Well if Almora decides to jack up like Sammy did.....

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He got passed up for Happ for good reason. Happ is a switch who takes pitches. That's leadoff material, which is what the team lacked last season. Almora isnt that kind of hitter. There isn't any reason he can't be the starting RF over Heyward though...provided Happ continues to develop.

Almora right now is not better than Heyward. He is still growing into his body though and it would impact his future if he made a effort into power over contact hitting

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Almora right now is not better than Heyward. He is still growing into his body though and it would impact his future if he made a effort into power over contact hitting
Yes. He needs to hunt for pitches he can drive.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes. He needs to hunt for pitches he can drive.

That and power lift in the off season. Adding 10-15 lbs makes a difference. But the big part is adding a little upper cut to his swing vs swinging down into the pitch. That will create loft but he needs to build the power that goes into the swing.

I believe Jr is about the most fundamentally sound player that they have. He really just needs to build on that.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Not sure how you can say he flat out not better then him TODAY...

I would bet that given both 100 AB/ PA , that Almora would have more hits and better OBP then Heyward..

Almora has 440 career PA and has a career .292 Avg .330 OBP .448 SLG
.777 OPS

If it HR power youre comparing, he hit 8 last year on just 299 AB..
Heyward hit just 11 in 432 AB, and 7 the year before in 532 AB..

So, ill take Almora power over Heyward right now ..

Ill take Almora defense, speed, baserunning, and hitting over Heyward right now, all day everyday...

Heyward 1073 PA last 2 years
18 HRs .243 Avg .316 OBP .673 OPS

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think if that the case, Happ would play RF and Almora CF

I don't think so. If they are resting Heyward or flat out benching him I think you want the better arm in RF which is Almora.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs are down to 37 guys after dodgers claimed Cory Mazzoni on waivers. It'll be interesting to see what fringe guys get cut prior to the start of the season.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Ill take Almora defense, speed, baserunning, and hitting over Heyward right now, all day everyday...

You do realize that Heyward is both faster and a better baserunner than Almora, right?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't think so. If they are resting Heyward or flat out benching him I think you want the better arm in RF which is Almora.
Looking at last year, Almora played 1 inning in RF while Happ played 73 innings there...

So, im guessing Maddon goes that route again if he starts both...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Looking at last year, Almora played 1 inning in RF while Happ played 73 innings there...

So, im guessing Maddon goes that route again if he starts both...

That doesn't really mean much. How many of those 73 innings had Almora in CF? For example, there's the very real possibility that they were playing Jay last year in CF who has a worse arm than Happ and Almora was still on the bench.

Regardless, I think your hope that they bench Heyward isn't particularly realistic. The cubs are going to score enough runs to win games with or without Heyward in the daily line up. And if that's the case, you take defense over more runs. You never know exactly how many runs you'll need to win a game but if you could what you would want is enough offense to get that total and then your best defense after it so that you limit damage to your own pitchers in terms of pitches thrown. Additionally, if you're making the case for Happ as the every day CF with one of Almora/Heyward on the bench, you almost certainly would prefer Almora on the bench. You already have La Stella as a LH pinch hitter and Almora kills LH pitching. He's a better complement in that regard. Heyward as a PH doesn't really offer you as much.