It's time

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I don't care if its a bunch of scrubs and nonroster invitees playing today. It's baseball, and it's back.

[video=youtube;tBeD74f5_6w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBeD74f5_6w&t=9s[/video]

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I’m just glad I’m going to Slone Park the week of the 12th vs now. Seeing regulars getting 1 AB is not worth the trip

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I hated to see the highlight of Ian Happ doing a face plant in right center field today. You have a spot on the team, save that for the regular season. Dont get concussed in spring training when its 1-0 early.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Baseball is back and I'm dealing with a blizzard every other day and 60 degrees in between. Wish I could watch these games.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Im looking forward to this season more then i did last year...
Guys like Bryant Baez Russell Contreras with another full year of maturing and developing under their belt...
Schwarber spent the off season getting in great shape and hopefully we will see him take that next level..
Rizzo gonna be Rizzo....
Heyward hopefully improves under Chili Davis eyes..
Really excited to see Almora get his shot in CF..
Happ getting a full year being that 10th guy off the bench...

Rotation has new blood with Darvish and Chatwood..
Full year of Quintana who should be ready and more prepared to take on the NL..
Healthy Hendricks...
Lester just needs to be Lester..

Bullpen has some new arms and hopefully will go into the season with a chip on their shoulders to improve from last year..

Love to see them start out fast in their first 10 games on road , expect 7 or 8 wins against beatable teams at start...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Im looking forward to this season more then i did last year...
Guys like Bryant Baez Russell Contreras with another full year of maturing and developing under their belt...
Schwarber spent the off season getting in great shape and hopefully we will see him take that next level..
Rizzo gonna be Rizzo....
Heyward hopefully improves under Chili Davis eyes..
Really excited to see Almora get his shot in CF..
Happ getting a full year being that 10th guy off the bench...

Rotation has new blood with Darvish and Chatwood..
Full year of Quintana who should be ready and more prepared to take on the NL..
Healthy Hendricks...
Lester just needs to be Lester..

Bullpen has some new arms and hopefully will go into the season with a chip on their shoulders to improve from last year..

Love to see them start out fast in their first 10 games on road , expect 7 or 8 wins against beatable teams at start...

I’ll give a early take: who excels at lead off will dictate playing time.

The bubble guys here are Happ, Zobrist, Almora and Schwarber.

Happ: probley the ideal lead off overall. SH and takes walks. HR power with a swing that creates loft. Can cover many spots so could lead off and fill many roles.

Almora: heavy split guy that is lucky to get 6% BB rate. He is more of a old school player hitting behind a base stealer where his high contact rate plays into hit and run situations. Unfortunately that play style went with the strike. I still see him as a 4th OF. Nothing against him at all but he is the square peg.

Schwarber: the love this guy and he looks amped to make a brake out. Honestly he could be the lead off and be fine but I see him better served batting #5 inbetween Contreras and Russell vs Heyward.

Zobrist: 130 games should be his max this year and that includes partial games. He has been too injury prone in his tenure to be relied upon in a everyday capacity. Not to mention they are worse with him on the line up with a superior player benched. I honestly see him used as a platoon guy in left if Schwarber struggles vs them and freeing up Baez at 2B as needed.

That is my gut feel on the team right now. Most other issues are very low impact right now that they are not worth stressing over.

Line up should change frequently but a typical day:

Happ CF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Contreras C
Schwarber LF
Russell SS
Heyward RF
Baez 2B

That is where the team should find the best mix in general. Happ is pretty underrated as a CF and it leaves late inning D switch with Almora.

No my biggest issue with Almora is he is a platoon player with a low walk rate. If his D was league Avg he wouldn’t be in the conversation.

You put him on a team like KC that plays small ball contact he excels vs Theo’s OBA philosophy

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
yet another I can give a fuck if the guy can hit .300 give me gold glove defense, get on base at a .325 clip, but god dammit he cannot take a fucking walk.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
yet another I can give a fuck if the guy can hit .300 give me gold glove defense, get on base at a .325 clip, but god dammit he cannot take a fucking walk.

It is more about waiting for a pitch to drive. Or going for SLG and laying off of “Pitcher” strikes. Which basically means attack pitches in your wheelhouse early count and defend late count.

Contact hitters offer at strikes and are looking to put the ball into play. Which is good for situational hitting and makes Jr a ideal PH type as he makes contact when you want the ball in play

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I don't care if its a bunch of scrubs and nonroster invitees playing today. It's baseball, and it's back.

[video=youtube;tBeD74f5_6w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBeD74f5_6w&t=9s[/video]

Stupid fact, this is my alarm on my phone in case I don't wake up.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Better than “He gone”

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I hate how MLB is doing the online audio this year. In the past I was always able to listen to the audio broadcast from the Gameday pitch-by-pitch screen, which was great because it gave me the count, baserunners, pitch type & location, etc. This year selecting the audio feed in Gameday just dumps me to a black MLB.TV media screen with no information about the game.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I’d throw Baez in the “bubble” group too.

Baez 2.2 WAR in 508 PA. Happ 1.8 in 413.

You could argue that both deserve full time PA’s.

Russell and Heyward’s value were dragged down by their O. D was outstanding. Heyward plays a O position so his production is not justified. Russell absorbs more opertunites then other players and justifies eliete D with sub avg production

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Almora still hitless this spring and made an error..

Happ has a couple leadoff homers and playing good in CF..

We all know Maddon dont care to play Almora much, it way way early yet but Almora don't pick it up and Happ continues to play well, possible we see Happ at the top of order on opening day

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Almora still hitless this spring and made an error..

Happ has a couple leadoff homers and playing good in CF..

We all know Maddon dont care to play Almora much, it way way early yet but Almora don't pick it up and Happ continues to play well, possible we see Happ at the top of order on opening day

Pretty sure the thought was platooning both in that role. I wouldn’t count anything until we are closer to April. Most pitchers are more limited in pitch selection right now and are mostly throwing fastballs right now. So the numbers really don’t mean anything yet.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure the thought was platooning both in that role. I wouldn’t count anything until we are closer to April. Most pitchers are more limited in pitch selection right now and are mostly throwing fastballs right now. So the numbers really don’t mean anything yet.
Obviously im sure that the plan with the platoon between Happ and Almora..

Im just saying for the start , we may see Happ get the nod over Almora if Happ continues to play well and Almora just has a ok spring

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Obviously im sure that the plan with the platoon between Happ and Almora.

Think platoon isn't the right term. Platoon sort of implies two guys who only play one position where as I see Happ playing more of a super-utility role.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Lester Hendricks Darvish Quintana Chatwood has been set as the cubs rotation order headed into 2018..

I know the order can and may change throughout the season due to rainout etc..
But damn how great is this when you have 2 guys that started the season opener last year and would be no.1/2 on many teams this year pitching 3 and 4 and going up against opponents 3 and 4s...