It's time

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A 30 yr old lifetime .134 hitter has a good spring and suddenly he's taking a spot from Baez or Russell?

:cmonman:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He is a good depth player. They are lacking SS at the higher levels. A injury to either Baez or Russell forces Freeman up to UI. That leaves Iowa exposed.

Looking at it another way Freeman proves that this spring is not a fluke it opens up trading either Baez or Russell. Ideally you would target Coleme and it would take either to headline the deal.
Ehhh.. i highly doubt theyd trade Baez or Russell and replace him with 30 YO journeyman in Freeman...
He short term depth and that all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
We are talking about a back up SS not a starting SS.

The whole point maybe moot if Morrow proves to be a legit closer. If he is over his head don’t be shocked

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So of the cubs likely active roster position players... sorted by ops

Schwarber .381/.471/.786/1.256
Happ .333/.417/.810/1.226
Contreras .323/.364/.774/1.138
Bryant .367/.513/.533/1.046
Russell .364/.395/.576/.970
Rizzo .324/.386/.541/.927
Baez .320/.346/.480/.826
Heyward .216/.293/.378/.671
La Stella .293/.326/.341/.667
Gimenez .219/.297/.313/.610
Almora .182/.217/.386/.604
Zobrist .208/.269/.333/.603

Pretty nuts that the cubs have 7 likely starters who are hitting over .300 this spring with those guys all being over .800 OPS. I'm less concerned about Heyward/Almora than others but even if they start slow if the rest of the 7 likely guys to start keep playing at close to this pace scaled to MLB pitching the offense is going to be ridiculously good. As a comparison to likely other good offenses, Houston looks like will only have 5 guys over .800 OPS in this spring among their active roster unless I missed someone. I have NYY at 3 though i'm not 100% on who their back up C is. If it's Romine that would be 4. Boston is at 5 maybe 6 as again i'm not 100% on their likely active roster.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So of the cubs likely active roster position players... sorted by ops

Schwarber .381/.471/.786/1.256
Happ .333/.417/.810/1.226
Contreras .323/.364/.774/1.138
Bryant .367/.513/.533/1.046
Russell .364/.395/.576/.970
Rizzo .324/.386/.541/.927
Baez .320/.346/.480/.826
Heyward .216/.293/.378/.671
La Stella .293/.326/.341/.667
Gimenez .219/.297/.313/.610
Almora .182/.217/.386/.604
Zobrist .208/.269/.333/.603

Pretty nuts that the cubs have 7 likely starters who are hitting over .300 this spring with those guys all being over .800 OPS. I'm less concerned about Heyward/Almora than others but even if they start slow if the rest of the 7 likely guys to start keep playing at close to this pace scaled to MLB pitching the offense is going to be ridiculously good. As a comparison to likely other good offenses, Houston looks like will only have 5 guys over .800 OPS in this spring among their active roster unless I missed someone. I have NYY at 3 though i'm not 100% on who their back up C is. If it's Romine that would be 4. Boston is at 5 maybe 6 as again i'm not 100% on their likely active roster.

Looking it over it has a feel of Almora/Heyward platoon.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I don't think so. I think Maddon is going to play Heyward daily like he always has. I mean if you're not yanking him from the line up in 2016 why start now? More over, if you're going to be scoring runs like it seems they may, why do you need even MORE runs? You'd prefer to help your pitching out with better defense. Plus like I said I don't think Almora/heyward will hit as bad as people seem to think in the actual season.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think if Heyward suckass again, Maddon will push Zobrist in right more..

Almora will most likely end up being that defensive replacement guy late in games...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't think so. I think Maddon is going to play Heyward daily like he always has. I mean if you're not yanking him from the line up in 2016 why start now? More over, if you're going to be scoring runs like it seems they may, why do you need even MORE runs? You'd prefer to help your pitching out with better defense. Plus like I said I don't think Almora/heyward will hit as bad as people seem to think in the actual season.

Eventually Heyward has to hold his weight

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I think if Heyward suckass again, Maddon will push Zobrist in right more..

Almora will most likely end up being that defensive replacement guy late in games...

Given the emergence of Happ, I really don't think Zobrist is going to see regular playing time this year unless injuries become an issue. Zobrist is 36/37 and the Cubs have a younger, arguable superior option with upside at every position he might play.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Given the emergence of Happ, I really don't think Zobrist is going to see regular playing time this year unless injuries become an issue. Zobrist is 36/37 and the Cubs have a younger, arguable superior option with upside at every position he might play.
That my hope..

Just saying if Heyward struggles, it more likely Maddon will go with Zobrist in RF more then using Almora in CF and Happ in RF...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I'm just not buying that. Theo is a straight shooter and specifically told Almora his role would increase this year. Plus if that's all Almora is to the cubs they should trade him. He's never going to get better without real playing time and he's better than being a 4th OF.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I'm just not buying that. Theo is a straight shooter and specifically told Almora his role would increase this year. Plus if that's all Almora is to the cubs they should trade him. He's never going to get better without real playing time and he's better than being a 4th OF.
The Cubs will play the best player (unless it's Heyward)

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Sometimes situations change....

If Happ comes out of gate with solid Avg. On base and smackn some homers at leadoff spot , while playing decent in CF..

They gotta keep playing him

Probable that Maddon switches them off early on, but eventually he has to go with hot bat, whether it Happ or Almora

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Sometimes situations change....

If Happ comes out of gate with solid Avg. On base and smackn some homers at leadoff spot , while playing decent in CF..

They gotta keep playing him

Probable that Maddon switches them off early on, but eventually he has to go with hot bat, whether it Happ or Almora

Just don't agree. There's plenty of ways to get Happ on the field rather than just planting him in CF. He's not even that great in CF. He's probably passible at best. If you simply have to have Happ on the field you start him at 2B. You're a better defensive team with Happ at 2B and Almora in CF than you are with Happ in CF and Baez at 2B.

What I don't get is why people just assume it's Almora who's going to be the odd man out. Almora is a career .292/.330/.448 hitter(102 wRC+). Baez is a career .255/.300/.427 hitter(88 wRC+). Last year he hit .273/.317/.480(98 wRC+). Almora's a better hitter. He just is. And while you're sacrificing slight difference in game power(I'd argue there's a massive raw power difference in favor of Baez but that's not exactly showing), you really don't need that out of the bottom of your order. Even if you're Baez's biggest fan and he HAS to be on the field why would you take Almora out? Play Baez at SS. Addison Russell is a career .240/.312/.408(90 wRC+) hitter and hit .239/.304/.418(84 wRC+) last year. Simply put, Almora has earned more playing time than either of Baez or Russell from a bat stand point. And while both are great with their gloves, you gotta hit at some point here. Russell has 1506 PAs in the majors. Baez has 1267. Almora has 440 and has shown more and frankly it's not like he has a bad glove either.

So, if Happ is all world this year I would expect to see more playing time cut out of Russell/Baez than Almora. I'm sure Happ sees some time in CF but I just don't agree they are going to shut Almora out to play Happ in CF. It's far from optimal for him defensively and Almora has earned more playing time.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Just don't agree. There's plenty of ways to get Happ on the field rather than just planting him in CF. He's not even that great in CF. He's probably passible at best. If you simply have to have Happ on the field you start him at 2B. You're a better defensive team with Happ at 2B and Almora in CF than you are with Happ in CF and Baez at 2B.

What I don't get is why people just assume it's Almora who's going to be the odd man out. Almora is a career .292/.330/.448 hitter(102 wRC+). Baez is a career .255/.300/.427 hitter(88 wRC+). Last year he hit .273/.317/.480(98 wRC+). Almora's a better hitter. He just is. And while you're sacrificing slight difference in game power(I'd argue there's a massive raw power difference in favor of Baez but that's not exactly showing), you really don't need that out of the bottom of your order. Even if you're Baez's biggest fan and he HAS to be on the field why would you take Almora out? Play Baez at SS. Addison Russell is a career .240/.312/.408(90 wRC+) hitter and hit .239/.304/.418(84 wRC+) last year. Simply put, Almora has earned more playing time than either of Baez or Russell from a bat stand point. And while both are great with their gloves, you gotta hit at some point here. Russell has 1506 PAs in the majors. Baez has 1267. Almora has 440 and has shown more and frankly it's not like he has a bad glove either.

So, if Happ is all world this year I would expect to see more playing time cut out of Russell/Baez than Almora. I'm sure Happ sees some time in CF but I just don't agree they are going to shut Almora out to play Happ in CF. It's far from optimal for him defensively and Almora has earned more playing time.
You could of made the same argument during the season last year for Almora to start more games, and i agree with you...
But
Almora started just 65 games while both Jay and Happ were starting ahead of him..

Im not saying Almora won't get his starts in CF or Happ will make all his starts in CF, just think Maddon will stick with Happ more if he starts out pretty much the way he been hitting during ST..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
You could of made the same argument during the season last year for Almora to start more games

Last year isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. For one thing, Happ didn't come up til what June? And you also had Jay in play. It wasn't really until everyone got healthy in like late july that they were in a similar position to now and they also had Jay then. Regardless, I don't think theo would specifically tell him he's going to have a bigger role and then bury him on the bench.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I’m pretty sure it will shake out the same.

Heyward: 500 PA
Happ 500 PA for a lead off that is 200 short)
Baez: 400 PA (he got +100 from Russell’s injury)
Zobrist and Almora should be around 300-400.

Injury changes things and that is why you want this excess depth. Any player can go down on any play.

I think that we look at this situation all wrong. It is about making it to the play offs and putting a match up based line up to gain a team win.

It is not about personal glory

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Last year isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. For one thing, Happ didn't come up til what June? And you also had Jay in play. It wasn't really until everyone got healthy in like late july that they were in a similar position to now and they also had Jay then. Regardless, I don't think theo would specifically tell him he's going to have a bigger role and then bury him on the bench.

Yet Almora only started 60 games with the injuries and Happ coming up later..

You do recall we were all chirping about why Almora wasnt starting more..

Almora may have a bigger role, doesnt necessarily mean he automatically going to start most games..
He still needs to show he can hit RHers consistently ..

Im not saying Almora going to get buried on bench nor am i saying Happ should be everyday starter..

Just saying that i think if Happ continues hitting the way he been this Spring into the season and handles CF well, Maddon will probably ride him everyday at least til(if) he cools off..

Also i saw Maddon officially said he going with 8 relievers..
So just 4 extra hitters..

LaStella Zobrist Almora

Decision hasn't been made on Catcher..

Caratini and Giminez

I felt Caratini would make it because he a SH a better hitter and can play a couple positions..
Also adding that with just 4 guys on bench Maddon may want a SH so he can have that extra LH/RH option on bench over adding just a RH bat..

Most think he'll go with the veteran though

CSF77

Liked Posts:
projected Cubs' Opening Day roster:

Catcher

Willson Contreras
Chris Gimenez

Infielders

Anthony Rizzo
Kris Bryant
Addison Russell
Javy Baez
Tommy La Stella
Ben Zobrist

Outfielders

Ian Happ
Kyle Schwarber
Albert Almora Jr.
Jason Heyward

Starting pitchers

Jon Lester
Kyle Hendricks
Yu Darvish
Jose Quintana
Tyler Chatwood

Bullpen

Brandon Morrow (closer)
Carl Edwards Jr.
Pedro Strop
Justin Wilson
Steve Cishek
Brian Duensing
Mike Montgomery
Eddie Butler

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yet Almora only started 60 games with the injuries and Happ coming up later..

You do recall we were all chirping about why Almora wasnt starting more..

Almora may have a bigger role, doesnt necessarily mean he automatically going to start most games..
He still needs to show he can hit RHers consistently ..

Im not saying Almora going to get buried on bench nor am i saying Happ should be everyday starter..

Just saying that i think if Happ continues hitting the way he been this Spring into the season and handles CF well, Maddon will probably ride him everyday at least til(if) he cools off..

Also i saw Maddon officially said he going with 8 relievers..
So just 4 extra hitters..

LaStella Zobrist Almora

Decision hasn't been made on Catcher..

Caratini and Giminez

I felt Caratini would make it because he a SH a better hitter and can play a couple positions..
Also adding that with just 4 guys on bench Maddon may want a SH so he can have that extra LH/RH option on bench over adding just a RH bat..

Most think he'll go with the veteran though

They pretty much have. Cartiani needs everyday play. He will not get that in the major baring injury.

Butler is #7 on the SP depth chart. They are not going to let that walk on wavers.