Bobby Portis

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
BP is starting to look like an excellent draft pick after all. He plays the role of gritty big man as well as you could hope for with the capability of stretching the floor. I think the ceiling for him is a borderline all-star.

MRN.

Liked Posts:
Loved the pick from the start. He plays angry.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Happy to see him playing well. He's passionate and works hard. The flashes we saw his rookie year are starting to become the norm for him. Since Miroshit got traded, he's averaging 19.5 PPG, 6.7 RPG, 50.5 FG% and 43.3 3PT% in only 26.7 minutes a night. I don't know if he's the long-term option as a starter, but at worst he looks like he is going to be a pretty darn good 6th man.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Love the way crazy eyes plays.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Looks like he could be a solid role player. Much improved play compared to last year.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I like his left hook. Right on the kisser

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
he needs to have a role off the bench, not play against starters and he will do ok. I worry some about all our big men wanting to shoot threes.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
he needs to have a role off the bench, not play against starters and he will do ok. I worry some about all our big men wanting to shoot threes.
Why? It's how the league is nowadays. Bobby is far from the worst "stretch big" that we've had on this roster.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Honest question: do you watch the NBA? The value of a big man who can spread the floor with 3 point shooting isn't a bad thing.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Of note: Niko is playing shitty in NO.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Honest question: do you watch the NBA? The value of a big man who can spread the floor with 3 point shooting isn't a bad thing.

Yes, and in Bobby's case, he does it well against other teams second unit.

How did he do in his first start? What, butterflies that made Valentine the best player and leader on the floor against boston? Why? Went up against the better opposition.

I do not like this "center" who falls in love with threes. We saw it too often when guys like Bosh or Cousins or the biggest name Josh Smith who could get to the rim at will but instead fell in love with the three. Josh Smith would absolutely destroy a team for a quarter getting anywhere he wanted, but eventually, just started jacking up threes.

Bobbys post moves are weak, he is flailing up shots like girls high school basketball, not strong, not hard to the rim. Point back to that game winning chance he had a layup if he went up strong and used the glass. Instead a little floater bounces up off the rim.

It only counts as spreading the floor if you have a power game at the rim. Otherwise, you are a big small forward.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

How did he do in his first start? What, butterflies that made Valentine the best player and leader on the floor against boston? Why? Went up against the better opposition.

I do not like this "center" who falls in love with threes. We saw it too often when guys like Bosh or Cousins or the biggest name Josh Smith who could get to the rim at will but instead fell in love with the three. Josh Smith would absolutely destroy a team for a quarter getting anywhere he wanted, but eventually, just started jacking up threes.

Bobbys post moves are weak, he is flailing up shots like girls high school basketball, not strong, not hard to the rim. Point back to that game winning chance he had a layup if he went up strong and used the glass. Instead a little floater bounces up off the rim.

It only counts as spreading the floor if you have a power game at the rim. Otherwise, you are a big small forward.
So that's a no on watching the NBA?

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You must not watch the NBA. How is Draymond Green's low-post game or Zaza Pachulia's? Or Kevin Love or Tristan Thompson's? Their teams must never win anything, right??

Portis is a finesse, face-up scorer who can stretch the defense all the way out to the three-point line at a big position (which tremendously gives your offense an advantage in terms of second chance points and for ball movement as well as slashers. The guy is also a quality rebounder. The value of having those two qualities in your big cannot be understated.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
You must not watch the NBA. How is Draymond Green's low-post game or Zaza Pachulia's? Or Kevin Love or Tristan Thompson's? Their teams must never win anything, right??

Portis is a finesse, face-up scorer who can stretch the defense all the way out to the three-point line at a big position (which tremendously gives your offense an advantage in terms of second chance points and for ball movement as well as slashers. The guy is also a quality rebounder. The value of having those two qualities in your big cannot be understated.

Yeah, put him up against decent starters, 7 points in 27 minutes, put him up against a scrub team 15 points in 30 minutes. Vonleh did a Portis impression off the bench yesterday scoring 9 in 13 minutes. Keep watching the NBA. If you guys want him to be a thug like the douche out in Golden state, well, that douche has a bigger douch in zaza who will put you on your ass if you get by the guards. So lets see who you guys think that will be on this bulls team.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Somehow playing a post up only game will make Bobby a better bench player?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Yeah, put him up against decent starters, 7 points in 27 minutes, put him up against a scrub team 15 points in 30 minutes. Vonleh did a Portis impression off the bench yesterday scoring 9 in 13 minutes. Keep watching the NBA. If you guys want him to be a thug like the douche out in Golden state, well, that douche has a bigger douch in zaza who will put you on your ass if you get by the guards. So lets see who you guys think that will be on this bulls team.

I honestly do not understand any of this. If you're doing a bit, please send me a pm so I know to ignore your ramblings in the future.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
It is not because of lack of talent. It is because the "big 3" are taking most of the shots. With the second unit Portis is the goto guy. When Portis starts and gets Markennen's shots, there is little or no dropoff. Nobody wants to go there though.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
He is proving he is a double double machine coming off the bench with Valentine. That is where they both belong. All you need to do is watch the games.