Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Insert meatball BEEF BLOCK post

BEEF BLOCK

maxresdefault.jpg

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't have a problem with Nelson but Im not crazy about using a top 10 pick on a G. The Notre Dame Oline coach, now Bears coach is supposedly one of the best, he should be able to coach players up as well.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't have a problem with Nelson but Im not crazy about using a top 10 pick on a G. The Notre Dame Oline coach, now Bears coach is supposedly one of the best, he should be able to coach players up as well.
In my opinion it is old school thinking that you should not take an OG in the top 10 even if he is the best OLinemen in the draft. If Nelson is there at #8 it's a no brainer because he is that good, just like the Skins taking Scherff with the #5 pick in the 2015 draft.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
He's being touted as the next Jonathan Cooper so you know he's gonna be good.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
In my opinion it is old school thinking that you should not take an OG in the top 10 even if he is the best OLinemen in the draft. If Nelson is there at #8 it's a no brainer because he is that good, just like the Skins taking Scherff with the #5 pick in the 2015 draft.

Guards taken in the first round by decade:

2010 – current: 4
2000 – 2009: 6
1990 – 1999: 13
1980 – 1989: 19
1970 – 1979: 15
1960 – 1969: 11

In the top 5 all-time?

Brandon Scherff. 2015, Pick 5
Leonard Davis, 2001, Pick 2
Bill Fralic, 1985, Pick 2
Chris Hinton, 1983, Pick 4
Ken Huff, 1975, Pick 3
John Hicks, 1974, Pick 3
John Hannah, 1973, Pick 4
Tom Mack, 1966, Pick 2
Randy Beisler, 1966, Pick 4
John Niland, 1966, Pick 5
Fritz Barzilauskas, 1947, Pick 3
Rudy Mucha, 1941, Pick 4

It appears you have that whole "new-school thinking" and "old-school thinking" thing backwards...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really hate these sorts of arguments to be honest. Trying to look back at NFL drafting history to project current and future drafting seems pretty fruitless when previous decades didn't have all of these rules that benefit the passing game making premium offensive linemen a more coveted commodity.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think a more likely scenario is the Bears sign Zach Fulton.

A. Former OC Nagy is now the head coach.
B. Former OL coach Hiestand is now the Bears OL coach.
C. Knows the system and is versatile.
D. You're not spending a top 10 pick on a position you can usually find later in the draft.

Huxster

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My only question is,

As a player does he make those around him better?? EG will our LT and C be more secure with him there and thus Mitch is safer with more time to throw and Jordan having bigger better gaps to run through, increasing our Offensive output, then if you project that to be the case why wouldn't you draft him at 8??

Shit thats two questions !!

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think a more likely scenario is the Bears sign Zach Fulton.

A. Former OC Nagy is now the head coach.
B. Former OL coach Hiestand is now the Bears OL coach.
C. Knows the system and is versatile.
D. You're not spending a top 10 pick on a position you can usually find later in the draft.

I could see this being Paces preferred scenario. Could always draft an OG later in the draft but they really need a swing OT and someone to compete with Massie. Long *should* be healthier and with Kush and Morgan coming back, I think OT is the bigger need.

msadows

Liked Posts:

How is this old school. Theres been 5 guards taken in the last 30 years bro. Scherff was a RT who the redskins tried at RT before moving him to guard.

You are really telling me that nelson will have THAT MUCH more of an impact blocking interior rushers versus someone like Hernandez in the second round?

Taking a guard top 10 is a shit value pick for that reason.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The RIGHT move is to go ILB, CB, EDGE, or WR(worst of the picks, but its a major need) in the first, due to a decent decline in talent for the players available in the second.

Then go hernandez or wynn in the second round. Which are still pro bowl level guards who should be available at 39.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
The RIGHT move is to go ILB, CB, EDGE, or WR(worst of the picks, but its a major need) in the first, due to a decent decline in talent for the players available in the second.

Then go hernandez or wynn in the second round. Which are still pro bowl level guards who should be available at 39.

I tend to agree with this. If Pace stays at #8 I think he’ll go either LB or CB.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Funny how many people say don’t take a guard at 8. Then you have others who say “he won’t be there at 8”-including some draft “experts”. It would be my guess that Nelson is on the Bears radar as they did cut Sutton. We’ll see what happens in FA.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Only reason why Nelson at 8 is different is because the kid is a mean SOB. He will set the tone against defenses and imposing the OL's will on the DL is huge. When the defense sees their NT getting pancaked by Nelson, that's demoralizing.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Funny how many people say don’t take a guard at 8. Then you have others who say “he won’t be there at 8”-including some draft “experts”. It would be my guess that Nelson is on the Bears radar as they did cut Sutton. We’ll see what happens in FA.

Well, Charley Casserly, a former superbowl winning GM, basically says dont take a guard in the top 10. He says Nelson is the best player in the draft, but he still thinks hes not a top 10 pick.

Its honestly all value. Nelson is going to be a great pro, he has HoF potential, but the issue is that there are 3-4 guards in every draft that could have pro bowl potential and you don't need to spend a #8 pick. It will be much harder to find a pro bowl talent slip into the 2nd round at CB, ILB, and especially EDGE.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Well, Charley Casserly, a former superbowl winning GM, basically says dont take a guard in the top 10. He says Nelson is the best player in the draft, but he still thinks hes not a top 10 pick.

Its honestly all value. Nelson is going to be a great pro, he has HoF potential, but the issue is that there are 3-4 guards in every draft that could have pro bowl potential and you don't need to spend a #8 pick. It will be much harder to find a pro bowl talent slip into the 2nd round at CB, ILB, and especially EDGE.

Ryan Pace has been pretty bad in the 1st round. He does his best work in the 2nd-5th round. I want Pace to take the sure thing in the 1st round not another guy who has tons of potential but without any real track record.

Kevin White has been a bust.

Leonard Floyd is playing without a position and is becoming injury prone (not surprising since his size was always a concern)

Jury is still out on Mitch Trubisky.

Take the sure thing and worry about the rest later.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace has been pretty bad in the 1st round. He does his best work in the 2nd-5th round. I want Pace to take the sure thing in the 1st round not another guy who has tons of potential but without any real track record.

Kevin White has been a bust.

Leonard Floyd is playing without a position and is becoming injury prone (not surprising since his size was always a concern)

Jury is still out on Mitch Trubisky.

Take the sure thing and worry about the rest later.

THERE IS NO THING AS A SURE THING. Do you remember the last time a guard was taken that high? Both Warmack and Cooper were sure things, they flopped hard. Do you remember Robert Gallery? How about Tony Mandarich, Sports Illustrated only called him the most dominant offensive lineman in college football history. You can keep going on and on. Once again, nothing is a sure thing.

The one thing that is a sure thing is that you can get pro bowl level talent at guard every year in the 2nd and 3rd round, because thats where the majority of them are drafted and graded due to team needs/value.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
How is this old school. Theres been 5 guards taken in the last 30 years bro. Scherff was a RT who the redskins tried at RT before moving him to guard.

You are really telling me that nelson will have THAT MUCH more of an impact blocking interior rushers versus someone like Hernandez in the second round?

Taking a guard top 10 is a shit value pick for that reason.
Scherff was never tired at RT by the Skins, their tackles were in place, Moses started all 16 games at RT. Scherff has started every game of his career at RG.

Yes..........it is why Hernandez is considered a second round talent AND Nelson is considered a top 10 pick. Quite simply the better player.

Taking the best player on your draft board IS the best value, even if it is an OG.