Keeping Mike Glennon

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Let me start by saying I am in no way advocating for this, but just for a topic of discussion during a slow period. What if Pace decided to keep Glennon? Couple reasons why I can see this.

- Probably not going to find a better back up. (Kinda hard to believe)

- Great locker room guy, maybe he works really well with Trubisky

- With Landry and Robinson likely out of FA, we are going to have a ton of cap and really no one to spend it on. We could probably sign all the guys Pace wants to and still have plenty of cap.

That's really all I got and this is my big question. If Pace keeps Glennon, does he have trade value if someone's starter goes down?? That would be best case scenario and one of the top reasons for keeping Glennon, imo. Even if it's only for a late round pick. We need as much draft capital as possible.

Again, not advocating for this, so keep the dorkchop comments to yourself.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
glennon will be gone once a viable backup qb is secured.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sanchez? You can roll with him and a kid in training. Sanchez is not who you want starting but things like the butt fumble have him underrated as a player. A good OC can still get some viability from him in a pinch.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Let me start by saying I am in no way advocating for this, but just for a topic of discussion during a slow period. What if Pace decided to keep Glennon? Couple reasons why I can see this.

- Probably not going to find a better back up. (Kinda hard to believe)

- Great locker room guy, maybe he works really well with Trubisky

- With Landry and Robinson likely out of FA, we are going to have a ton of cap and really no one to spend it on. We could probably sign all the guys Pace wants to and still have plenty of cap.

That's really all I got and this is my big question. If Pace keeps Glennon, does he have trade value if someone's starter goes down?? That would be best case scenario and one of the top reasons for keeping Glennon, imo. Even if it's only for a late round pick. We need as much draft capital as possible.

Again, not advocating for this, so keep the dorkchop comments to yourself.

STFU dorkchop it won't happen because Glennon showed he is mediocre at best, Glennon has zero trade value.

Honestly if Pace were to keep Glennon I would wonder if he knew what the hell he was doing...I would much rather see Pace bring back Sanchez or another cheaper journeyman QB to backup Trubisky then have Glennon. Even if Landry and Robinson are off the table the Bears can still use that cap room to address the WR position and CB and OLB. Having $16M tied up in the backup QB position doesn't make sense, at least not for a second year in a row. So if Pace were to keep Glennon I would say he would be making a mistake.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
STFU dorkchop it won't happen because Glennon showed he is mediocre at best, Glennon has zero trade value.

Honestly if Pace were to keep Glennon I would wonder if he knew what the hell he was doing...I would much rather see Pace bring back Sanchez or another cheaper journeyman QB to backup Trubisky then have Glennon. Even if Landry and Robinson are off the table the Bears can still use that cap room to address the WR position and CB and OLB. Having $16M tied up in the backup QB position doesn't make sense, at least not for a second year in a row. So if Pace were to keep Glennon I would say he would be making a mistake.

What if Jameis Winston goes down?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
$2.5m roster bonus is guaranteed on 3/15. When were you expecting Winston to go down?

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Pace keeps Glennon, does he have trade value if someone's starter goes down?? That would be best case scenario and one of the top reasons for keeping Glennon, imo. Even if it's only for a late round pick. We need as much draft capital as possible

I wouldn't think so. The magic scenario where:
1) A team is one player away
2) Doesn't have a better backup quarterback already
3) Likes Mike Glennon more than any other available QB
4) Is willing and able to pay his contract AND give draft capital

To me is not likely. He isn't Jay Cutler or Sam Bradford that have had success starting in the NFL. Cut him and move on.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Can we trade him back to TB for let's say a ham sandwich or a warm Six.......I mean....Five pack of Bud Light?!

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
A literal giraffe would be a better backup QB than Glennon

Well now I'm hoping for an Air Bud situation where we can play a giraffe.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well now I'm hoping for an Air Bud situation where we can play a giraffe.

I srs wonder how much money it costs to buy a giraffe.... I bet they are cheaper than Mike Glennon.

Probably better at football too.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1. The 11 million is way too valuable to building around Trubisky.

2. Glennon will be largely untradable regardless of injury for 2 reasons

-He is very bad
-Not many teams will have 11-15 million in cap space available for an emergency

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Whose your viable back up? Just curious. I haven't looked at QB FA's outside of the top guys.

at this point in time, i'd chose chase daniel, tyler bray, geno smith, ej manuel would a few guys i'd look into...daniel and bray have worked with nagy before and smith and manuel both possess athleticism and have spread background which fits well in nagy's scheme.

Ideally i'd love to have bridgewater as a backup but those chances are remote as he will want a chance to start.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ban the op please. Glennon is awful, he lost his job 29tg o a rookie who barely played in college. In no universe is it wise to keep glennon

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
What if Jameis Winston goes down?

Would Glennon be that much better than any other backup they would have on their roster during training camp? Would it be worth it for them to trade a player and/or pick to get Glennon and take on his contract to get similar production from Glennon as they would get from whatever backup they would already have?