Kollmann's breakdown of..

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If we only see two QB's go in the first round I'd really like this pick if they don't like Calvin Ridley.

Browns: Sam Darnold QB
Giants: Josh Rosen QB
Colts: Bradley Chubb DE
Browns: Saquon Barkley RB
Broncos: Tremaine Edmunds LB
Jets: Vita Vea DE
Buccaneers: Minkah Fitzpatrick DB
Bears: Quenton Nelson OG

"He's so unique because he's big, but he's not fat. He's one of the best run blockers I've ever evaluated, but he's not a liability in pass protection Mike Iupati is. He's also an alpha who can bring and ass-kicking mindset into your position room." - NFC team personnel executive

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
*Insert misc. you don't draft a guard 8th overall comments*

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
You don't draft a guard 8th overall.

With Sitton now no longer with the team, a guard at 8 is now a real possibility. I bet he is on the Bears Big Board. He might justifiably be the BPA at 8 when all is said and done. Lord knows the Bears need help on the line.

Mitchapalooza

With Sitton now no longer with the team, a guard at 8 is now a real possibility. I bet he is on the Bears Big Board. He might justifiably be the BPA at 8 when all is said and done. Lord knows the Bears need help on the line.
Lol I was kidding i would love the pick

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
With potential impact talent on the board at pass rusher, CB and WR, it would be criminal to use that premium pick on a guard, regardless of how good he is.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
If Edmunds or Davenport really show well I might see that, but I think we address CB in free agency with all of the talent out there. As far as WR, I'm not sold on Ridleys hands. No way I take him at 8 over a guy like Nelson.

Most think he'll be gone by 8. Charles Robinson thinks we'll take him. This guy thinks Tampa, I think prob Cleveland at 4

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
With potential impact talent on the board at pass rusher, CB and WR, it would be criminal to use that premium pick on a guard, regardless of how good he is.

Nelson is both the safest and best prospect in the draft. Other then Chubb and possibly Fitzpatrick, there isn't a defensive player nor wide receiver even close to him. Not even close.

There are 2 special prospects in this class: Nelson and Barkley, and there's an outside chance the Bears could have a shot at them thanks to the perceived lack of value of their positions. Passing on either at 8 would be foolish.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see Cleveland drafting their QB at 1 then the best offensive lineman to protect him. They should want to protect him.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nelson is both the safest and best prospect in the draft. Other then Chubb and possibly Fitzpatrick, there isn't a defensive player nor wide receiver even close to him. Not even close.

There are 2 special prospects in this class: Nelson and Barkley, and there's an outside chance the Bears could have a shot at them thanks to the perceived lack of value of their positions. Passing on either at 8 would be foolish.

Yeah, if I remember from last year, you're a strict BPA guy. I don't agree with that philosophy. Nor do I agree with picking strictly for need. It has to be a logical blend of the two.

RB is one of the few positions the Bears are fine at. We have a top 5 RB and one of the league's more exciting change of pace/utility weapons already in the backfield. Taking Barkley just because he's BPA would be remarkably stupid, imo. You can't put them all on the field at once and there are only so many reps to go around.

This team is in dire need of talent at several key positions, including EDGE, CB and WR. If there are potential impact players at any of these positions, taking Barkley instead just because his overall BPA number is higher is madness.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know its fun to debate, but it just feels so pointless. Everthing will change after combine and prodays.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I see Cleveland drafting their QB at 1 then the best offensive lineman to protect him. They should want to protect him.

Cleveland needs a CB they have one of the worst secondaries in the NFL.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
They also have a ton of money and a lot of CB options in FA

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I think most Bears fans will be happy if the pick at #8 is Nelson. The Bears have the luxury of having his OL coach from ND on staff, so they should be able to evaluate Nelson as good as anyone. If Heistandt says this guy is the real deal, the Bears probably should listen.

Generally, rush guys and CB's are taken higher because they command the highest salaries as veterans. So drafting those positions puts teams in good financial position. However, I do believe it will come down to BPA, or who the Bears have the highest on their draft board.

If Nelson is the best player on their draft board, they will most likely draft Nelson. But, if a CB or OLB are anywhere close to Nelson on the draft board, they will probably go that way. And yes, FA'cy will affect this as well.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think most Bears fans will be happy if the pick at #8 is Nelson. The Bears have the luxury of having his OL coach from ND on staff, so they should be able to evaluate Nelson as good as anyone. If Heistandt says this guy is the real deal, the Bears probably should listen.

Generally, rush guys and CB's are taken higher because they command the highest salaries as veterans. So drafting those positions puts teams in good financial position. However, I do believe it will come down to BPA, or who the Bears have the highest on their draft board.

If Nelson is the best player on their draft board, they will most likely draft Nelson. But, if a CB or OLB are anywhere close to Nelson on the draft board, they will probably go that way. And yes, FA'cy will affect this as well.

They command the highest salaries because of the premium of their position. A pass rusher is more of an impact position than a guard. If your choice on a team is to have an average-to-solid guard and an elite pass rusher, or an average-to-solid pass rusher and an elite guard, you obviously want the elite pass rusher.

I'm not undervaluing guards, and if it were a case of a guard vs a TE or RB, I would weigh it differently. But pass rusher and CB are the two biggest premium positions on defense and the Bears are badly lacking talent in both positions, so to take a guard, any guard, when a potentially impact pass rusher or CB is on the board at 8 would be foolish, imo. Even if the guard was a generational talent.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yup, tell me more about how the guy blocking for your quarterback is less important than the guy rushing him.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
If the guy rushing him turns out to be the next Michael Haynes that's how.

Better be confident in the guy you pick if you pass on Nelson

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Nelson is a impact type player. We need a G and this is the best rated G in 20 years. No brainer.