Jarvis Landry will sign FA Tag

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What? You think that if guys refuse to sign the tag they become free agents? Where do you get this shit?

The deadline to designate -- and/or rescind -- franchise and transition players is the 6th. If a guy has that designation at 4PM est. on that day the only team he can play for (barring a trade) is that team. What would be the point of having those tags if a player could just say "I'm not going to sign that, I'd rather be a free agent?"

No, how did you come to that conclusion? I think the Dolphins will take him off the franchise tag it doesn't seem like a long term deal will be put in place with the Dolphins and they're already over the cap limit right now.

But that doesn't mean a trade isn't in place.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Looks like a trade is imminent.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
No, how did you come to that conclusion? I think the Dolphins will take him off the franchise tag it doesn't seem like a long term deal will be put in place with the Dolphins and they're already over the cap limit right now.

But that doesn't mean a trade isn't in place.

I got it from here:
The deadline to sign the franchise tag in March 6 if it's not finalized he's a free agent.

They can just leave the tag on him and continue to search for a trade until the start of the new league year (March 14th) when salary cap compliance comes into effect. Hell, they could conceivably keep him on the tag deal -- it would require that they free up apx. 14 mil in cap room one way or another. Now, other teams could radically fuck them by refusing a trade and forcing them to make cuts they didn't want to, so this could easily backfire; but it is possible with some cuts/extensions/restructures. Not likely, but possible.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
This is probably true. Once it’s signed Miami can’t resind. They can’t pay him so now they are forced to trade and the whole league knows this...the receiving team may not have to give up much.

Wrong Miami can resend the tag at any time before June deadline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Wrong Miami can resend the tag at any time before June deadline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No they can't. Once signed they can not rescind it. It is you that is wrong.

They can however send and resend it as many times as the want. Like a stalker girlfriend texting.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
I have this bad feeling the 9ers are going to get Landry and fleece Pace for the second time.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I got it from here:

They can just leave the tag on him and continue to search for a trade until the start of the new league year (March 14th) when salary cap compliance comes into effect. Hell, they could conceivably keep him on the tag deal -- it would require that they free up apx. 14 mil in cap room one way or another. Now, other teams could radically fuck them by refusing a trade and forcing them to make cuts they didn't want to, so this could easily backfire; but it is possible with some cuts/extensions/restructures. Not likely, but possible.

Who says they can't leave it on him as long as they want? Unless a team is really desperate I can't see a team giving up draft picks and over paying for a slot wide receiver. They could make room for him I guess by Jarvis Landry is threatening to sit out if Dolphins want him to play on it.

If Bears want Jarvis Landry I'd like to see them call them on a bluff and watch them withdraw the tag on the deadline.

Franchise tags can be withdrawn.

The amount of the franchise tender becomes fully guaranteed once the player signs it. Since signing the franchise tender puts the player under contract, requiring him to show up to all mandatory offseason activities and training camp, some players choose to wait deep into the preseason before inking the offer.

The risk is that the franchise tag can be withdrawn, at any time, before it has been signed.

It doesn’t happen often, but it’s not unprecedented. Especially in Philly. In 2002, the Eagles pulled the franchise tag from linebacker Jeremiah Trotter in early April. Three years later, the Eagles removed the franchise tag from defensive tackle Corey Simon in late August.

The move immediately converts the player to an unrestricted free agent. But if it comes after the big money has been spent, the player will have a hard time getting the pay day he would have realized on the first day of free agency.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/28/10-things-to-know-about-the-franchise-tag/

Speed

Liked Posts:
I have this bad feeling the 9ers are going to get Landry and fleece Pace for the second time.

They have Marquise Goodwin who was pretty impressive last year on a value contract. That's like us going after a prime Darren Sproles in free agency when we have Cohen. If they want to fleece themselves by going after another slot receiver when they have one feel free.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Dez sticks foot in mouth, again, and spins to a different angle.

No they can't. Once signed they can not rescind it. It is you that is wrong.

They can however send and resend it as many times as the want. Like a stalker girlfriend texting.

Great posters. lol

Love the mob mentality and adding nothing of use to the forum.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They have Marquise Goodwin who was pretty impressive last year on a value contract. That's like us going after a prime Darren Sproles in free agency when we have Cohen. If they want to fleece themselves by going after another slot receiver when they have one feel free.

Landry is nothing like Goodwin, who is mostly a deep threat.

The 49ers do have Trent Taylor, who showed well as a traditional slot type player in his rookie year.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
This is a game of chicken between Landry and the Dolphins.

Landry doesn't want to play on the tag, but he also doesn't want to wait to sign it when all the FA money will be spent if the Dolphins later decide to rescind.

Dolphins' cap situation is atrocious so they really can't afford for Landry to sign the tag either. Landry saying he is gonna sign the tag on Monday will force the Dolphins to rescind the tag otherwise Landry would have signed the tag yesterday if his intentions were really to play on the tag for 2018.

The other teams interested in Landry have no incentive to offer the Dolphins anything in a trade. The fact that some people are reporting a trade is close is probably just information being leaked by the Dolphins to try to make a team blink. Draft picks are so valuable in the NFL that no team is gonna give up anything and pay a guy 60 million.

Right now the Dolphins sit at -23 million in cap space including an estimate for their draft pool. That means if Landry is playing under the tag, the Dolphins will have to find 23 million in cuts/restructures just to get to break even and that doesn't even include the cost replacement of the players they would have to cut in the first place.

Obvious cuts for the Dolphins are Wake, Timmons, and Thomas, but they would also likely have to cut Pouncey and James just to give them some breathing room for the season.