In unsurprising news cubs release grimm

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Justin Hancock might be the surprise addition to pen...

I think him or Anthony Bass will battle it out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Joe does like him a lot.

Butler makes the most sense. You lose him if he is off the 25 man. In a short role he may excel. In a starting role he is meh.

Most of the names tossed around are very meh honestly. When you are surrounded by meh you look for the square peg when the hole is square.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Joe does like him a lot.

Butler makes the most sense. You lose him if he is off the 25 man. In a short role he may excel. In a starting role he is meh.

Most of the names tossed around are very meh honestly. When you are surrounded by meh you look for the square peg when the hole is square.
Probably right...
Unless there a surprise move or a DL stint coming up, it looks to be these 8 in the pen..

Montgomery
Butler

Duensing
Cishek
Strop

Edwards
Wilson

Morrow

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Probably right...
Unless there a surprise move or a DL stint coming up, it looks to be these 8 in the pen..

Montgomery
Butler

Duensing
Cishek
Strop

Edwards
Wilson

Morrow

That is pretty fair. I would rather have Cishek as the 8th inning guy in general. The use Strop, Edwards and Wilson in high pressure situations.

But I would like:

9th Morrow
8th Cishek
High pressure: Edwards/Wilson
Lower pressure: Strop/Duesing
2 inning: Butler/Montgomery

Best way to look at it is innings 1-6 Butler and Montgomery depending on the fresh arm.

7-8 depends on situation. Starting a inning more like Strop or Duesing getting out of a jam Wilson or Edwards.

In AAA: Maples more of a closer in training
Tseng as a back up SP/2 inning guy.

Now AAA is going to be intriguing to see who they roll out in n the rotation. Right now it looks like Mills and Tseng are locks. The other 3 are not clear.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'd imagine they roster Butler at the very least to get into the season. Chances are they are more likely to get him through waivers after the season starts than pre season.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Have to say im pretty dissapointed in Maples and Zastryzny performance this Spring...

May still happen during season but was hoping to see these two young arms take a step forward in their progress this Spring..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Have to say im pretty dissapointed in Maples and Zastryzny performance this Spring...

May still happen during season but was hoping to see these two young arms take a step forward in their progress this Spring..

Zast is another Wood. Lacks a major league curve. Maples is always going to be a project. Control/command has been his issue. Which affects every pitch. Marmol had the same issue. Until he can put the ball into the zone on a regular basis he is in trouble.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
So, now that Grimmer has signed on with the Royals, how much of his salary do the Cubs have to cover this year?

Also -- all the Royals need to do is acquire Junior Lake, and they'll be able to introduce themselves, from the perspective of majority, as the 2014 Chicago Cubs... ;)

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So, now that Grimmer has signed on with the Royals, how much of his salary do the Cubs have to cover this year?

Also -- all the Royals need to do is acquire Junior Lake, and they'll be able to introduce themselves, from the perspective of majority, as the 2014 Chicago Cubs... ;)

Don't think any. The cubs were only on the hook for 45 days of his contract not the full 2 mil. So I don't think him being picked up offsets that like it would for a fully guaranteed contract.