In unsurprising news cubs release grimm

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
wow, so he gets cut and makes league minimum not to play? Did they have to offer him a contract?

He was fine before he fell in love with the breaking ball.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
wow, so he gets cut and makes league minimum not to play? Did they have to offer him a contract?

He was fine before he fell in love with the breaking ball.

He was on arbitration so he only gets like 45 days of pay. Cubs freed up I think like $1.5-2 mil by releasing him because that money isn't guaranteed.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Adios.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Unsurprising grimm news is Grimm.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
He was on arbitration so he only gets like 45 days of pay. Cubs freed up I think like $1.5-2 mil by releasing him because that money isn't guaranteed.

Just asking if they just non tendered him they would not be on for anything right? I mean the chances were from slim to none he was going to make the team anyway. Why even tender the contract, just to win arbitration and he still got 2.2.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Just asking if they just non tendered him they would not be on for anything right? I mean the chances were from slim to none he was going to make the team anyway. Why even tender the contract, just to win arbitration and he still got 2.2.

Yeah and while I was sort of on your side with this I think the argument for what they did would be you don't know how FA will play out and you don't know that he'll be terrible in spring training. It basically comes down to whether or not you think the little they end up paying him is worth shielding yourself from risk. That is to say risk from camp injuries or whatever. You can't add guys for that cheap usually even at 2 mil.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
https://www.cubsinsider.com/2018/03/15/cubs-release-justin-grimm/

Had they released him prior to Wednesday, the Cubs would have owed Grimm roughly $350,000 of his $2.2 million salary, but now that figure will be around $530,000. Perhaps that’s their way of giving him a parting gift of sorts, not that it softens the blow much.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sounds like they are leaning towards Butler as a 2 inning guy instead. Butler is out of options also

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
So... to bring up my standard line lately...

Where does this leave the Cubs in terms of, say, freeing up *just* enough space under the luxury tax threshold to, say, sign Greg Holland...? I know it only frees up maybe $1.5 million, with associated benefits, etc., but how close to the cap are they right now?

F'rinstance, if Holland decided to accept a one-year, $9- or $10-million offer and try again next year, after freeing up most of Grimm's contract, where does that leave us?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So... to bring up my standard line lately...

Where does this leave the Cubs in terms of, say, freeing up *just* enough space under the luxury tax threshold to, say, sign Greg Holland...? I know it only frees up maybe $1.5 million, with associated benefits, etc., but how close to the cap are they right now?

F'rinstance, if Holland decided to accept a one-year, $9- or $10-million offer and try again next year, after freeing up most of Grimm's contract, where does that leave us?

Not enough. As of right now they are something like $12,298,258 under the luxury tax. That's pre grimm release. But the thing is you can't just say holland will get $10 mil or whatever so you're fine. You have to remember that you are going to have in season additions to the 40 man roster and subsequent releases off it. I'd imagine that you likely want to keep around at least $5 mil just for that. And the other thing is that while a reliever would seem likely to be their biggest need I think you're far more likely to see them address this at the trade deadline. The reason is that while it's likely where they will be hurting, if someone gets hurt you may need to adjust your priorities. For instance, if Contreras were to get hurt for a lengthy period of time you're probably looking to trade for a catcher rather than relying on Gimenez and Caratini as your every day guys. And that likely means having several million laying around.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Not enough. As of right now they are something like $12,298,258 under the luxury tax. That's pre grimm release. But the thing is you can't just say holland will get $10 mil or whatever so you're fine. You have to remember that you are going to have in season additions to the 40 man roster and subsequent releases off it. I'd imagine that you likely want to keep around at least $5 mil just for that. And the other thing is that while a reliever would seem likely to be their biggest need I think you're far more likely to see them address this at the trade deadline. The reason is that while it's likely where they will be hurting, if someone gets hurt you may need to adjust your priorities. For instance, if Contreras were to get hurt for a lengthy period of time you're probably looking to trade for a catcher rather than relying on Gimenez and Caratini as your every day guys. And that likely means having several million laying around.

But that 13 million automatically gets added for each team for bonus money, so they are already over the cap. Part of my point of if they just non tendered him, they would be 12,900.000 under and right there.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
But that 13 million automatically gets added for each team for bonus money, so they are already over the cap. Part of my point of if they just non tendered him, they would be 12,900.000 under and right there.

We've had this conversation before. No it doesn't. The money you're talking about is for player benefits and the number i gave already took that out. The cubs aren't over the luxury tax. Literally go look anywhere on the internet that is talking about such things.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I’m pretty sure this was a move to retain Butler not to sign Holland.

Butler could have opted out as he has no more options left and hooked on with another team. He can not be outrighted to Iowa right now.

That said the Cubs only have Montgomery who can give you a 2 inning stint. Grimm would have been in the 1+ inning role. Grimm is risky in a 1+ pitch role.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I’m pretty sure this was a move to retain Butler not to sign Holland.

Butler could have opted out as he has no more options left and hooked on with another team. He can not be outrighted to Iowa right now.

That said the Cubs only have Montgomery who can give you a 2 inning stint. Grimm would have been in the 1+ inning role. Grimm is risky in a 1+ pitch role.
Bass or Simmons are having a very good spring and could be considered as well....

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
We've had this conversation before. No it doesn't. The money you're talking about is for player benefits and the number i gave already took that out. The cubs aren't over the luxury tax. Literally go look anywhere on the internet that is talking about such things.

It's genuinely impressive how many times he's been corrected on this point without it sinking in.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The funny thing about this post is that I did find this news surprising. Not they I didn't want him gone, I absolutely did, but with the Cubs settling with him in arb and not even considering non-tendering him knowing he was out of options I thought he was a lock to make the team out of ST. I didn't think he'd last long but taking those steps really showed that they still liked that stuff enough to try again. I'm glad they didn't. I realize he has a some support around the league, CJ Nitkowski was saying today on MLB radio that he knows of at least one team out there that if they can sign him to a minor league deal will give him a look and possibly stretch him out to start. He certainly has the velo and a nice curve but without that slider that he cam up with an virtually never throws anymore I can't understand what the appeal is. Then again I'm not a scout. I wish him luck.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The funny thing about this post is that I did find this news surprising. Not they I didn't want him gone, I absolutely did, but with the Cubs settling with him in arb and not even considering non-tendering him knowing he was out of options I thought he was a lock to make the team out of ST. I didn't think he'd last long but taking those steps really showed that they still liked that stuff enough to try again. I'm glad they didn't. I realize he has a some support around the league, CJ Nitkowski was saying today on MLB radio that he knows of at least one team out there that if they can sign him to a minor league deal will give him a look and possibly stretch him out to start. He certainly has the velo and a nice curve but without that slider that he cam up with an virtually never throws anymore I can't understand what the appeal is. Then again I'm not a scout. I wish him luck.

He could end up a nice starting pitcher for Toledo

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bass or Simmons are having a very good spring and could be considered as well....

Strop looks like a DL case to start. There will be 2 openings.