Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Pace and company can continue to build off this positive momentum. Here’s a nice article.

“BY JAMES FOX
MARCH 16, 2018
COMMENTS 0
Jerry Seinfeld once said, “People don’t turn down money! It’s what separates us from the animals.” He’s a comedian and most of what comes out of his mouth is done with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek, but this axiom is more truth than fiction.

Money is usually the great equalizer, especially in professional sports. The 2017 free agency period for Bears General Manager Ryan Pace seemingly proved that money isn’t, in fact, everything, however. The organization didn’t just dip their toes into the murky waters of free agency. They offered a substantial coin to many available parties. Pace has offered significant dollars to the likes of A.J. Bouye (CB), Stephon Gilmore (CB), Janoris Jenkins (CB) and Kenny Stills (WR) in recent off-seasons but none of them ultimately reached Halas Hall with contract agreements.

Bears fans were furious that the team apparently “struck out” in free agency, but what we should have learned is that situation plus money trumps just money. It’s become quite evident in hindsight that Chicago just wasn’t an enchanting destination last year. John Fox was a dead man walking and the entire league knew it. The Bears were a bad team with a tenuous coaching situation and uncertainty at the quarterback position. That isn’t a recipe for success.

Nonetheless, money had to be spent and players had to be procured. The Bears still had needs and solving those puzzles with the free agent market became a much more difficult exercise. Mike Glennon, Quintin Demps, Markus Wheaton, Marcus Cooper, and Dion Sims all proved to be overpaid future cap casualties. Prince Amukamara agreed to terms to return to the Bears for multiple seasons in this free agent period and he’s the lone bright spot in Pace’s 2017 class.

Luckily for the fans of Chicago, contract structure has been a strength during the Ryan Pace regime and many of those mistakes will no longer be haunting anyone’s dreams. In his tenure, Pace has typically tried to patch together rosters with stop-gap signings until a long-term asset can be acquired via the draft. Teams that draft and develop their own talent are typically the ones left standing at the conclusion of seasons.

That method alone is a long and arduous process though and timely strikes in free agency are often necessary to sustain success. Teams can’t be built in free agency. It’s just not practical and there’s generally a reason why players have been cast off in the first place. Important elements of a winning organization can absolutely be obtained in a timely fashion though.

The NFL’s charter franchise entered the new league year with gobs of salary cap space and the fewest rostered players in the league. They also have a promising young quarterback whose salary is a pittance. It was imperative for Pace to spend smart money. In an attempt to fix a moribund offensive infrastructure and surround his young quarterback with weapons, Pace made five additions to the offense at the start of the new league year. Former Jacksonville receiver Allen Robinson was the big prize signing a 3-year-deal with $25 million guaranteed to be the No. 1 option in a re-made offense. It was a massive signing and could shift the fortunes of the franchise in a big way.

As for the other additions, tight end, Trey Burton and wide receiver Taylor Gabriel got paid a pretty penny as well to add a new dimension to Matt Nagy’s offense. Career backup Chase Daniel also entered the fold as the safety valve to Trubisky and the club spent money to fix their ailing kicking situation by adding former Dolphins kicker Cody Parkey as well. Teams don’t always want to be the big winners in free agency but in this case, it was a much-needed jolt. And many around the league agree.”

Continued at the link below....

https://theloopsports.com/2018/03/16/bears-free-agency-proving-that-chicago-is-an-attractive-destination-again/

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
What the Bears did in drafting Trubisky and then hiring Nagy certainly was a good first step.......the only thing that is going to matter now is if they start winning.

Having injuries and another poor year will be unacceptable and will tell the league we haven't done shit.....Bears need to be at .500 or better as the next step.....then we need to talk playoffs next year.......this has got to be the minimum.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
What the Bears did in drafting Trubisky and then hiring Nagy certainly was a good first step.......the only thing that is going to matter now is if they start winning.

Having injuries and another poor year will be unacceptable and will tell the league we haven't done shit.....Bears need to be at .500 or better as the next step.....then we need to talk playoffs next year.......this has got to be the minimum.

Also, keeping Vic was huge and no easy feat.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
When was the last time players have wanted to come here because of the coach AND the quarterback?

I think this bought one year with the free agents......Bears need to show promise on the field next year

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I think this bought one year with the free agents......Bears need to show promise on the field next year

I think with Nagy, Helfrich and Childress we’re going to see the equivalent of a white unicorn... Chicago Bear receivers being open because of scheme and more than one at a time...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think with Nagy, Helfrich and Childress we’re going to see the equivalent of a white unicorn... Chicago Bear receivers being open because of scheme and more than one at a time...

I feel like simply having the Bears uniform on slows receivers down and giant magnets in the field force them closer to DBs........it is something we've had to live with.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
but... Jimmy Garoppolo...

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I listen to Sports talk radio here in Baltimore, and the impact that Nagy and Trubisky is having is real. Baltimore was pissed because they lost out on Robinson, but one radio host was on the show telling people to wake up. To paraphrase his comments he was saying;

If you were Robinson would you want to go to a team that was not that good last year and they had done nothing to change? The Ravens have Joe Flacco, who has not been good in three years and Marty Morningweg as the OC, and the Bears have a new Head coach coming from a program that has had a ton of success on offense, and a young QB that looks like he could be the real deal.

The Changes that Pace has made are real and far reaching. I agree it will need to result in wins, but this off season has been the one we have been waiting for.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:

I completely agree. 8-8 is a minimum next year. Anything else is a failure.

"Winning in free agency," and "winning the draft" doesn't mean shit if we don't win on the field. Failing to make the playoffs in the next couple of years will be a disaster.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I feel more like the jaguars then the browns today. So pace is getting things going in the right direction.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Chicago Bears have become a desirable destination.
FIFY and thanks.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
The arrow is pointing up for the Bears! It's going to take a step forward by Trubisky to keep this up, or it will seem like guys feel for hype.

What does everyone see as a successful season for the Biscuit? I'm hoping for >3600 yds, >25 TDs, <14 INTs, with <4 multi-INT have. If Trubisky puts up those numbers, FAs will see us as a free steps away from being a playoff contender.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I completely agree. 8-8 is a minimum next year. Anything else is a failure.

"Winning in free agency," and "winning the draft" doesn't mean shit if we don't win on the field. Failing to make the playoffs in the next couple of years will be a disaster.

I'm not print a strict line in the sand on our record this year, but for me, Nagy's year 2 better have this team in the mix for the playoffs. We have some good young talent filling in what were weaknesses this past season, there is no reason to believe that we can't have a well rounded roster with plenty of talent going into the next season.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The arrow is pointing up for the Bears! It's going to take a step forward by Trubisky to keep this up, or it will seem like guys feel for hype.

What does everyone see as a successful season for the Biscuit? I'm hoping for >3600 yds, >25 TDs, <14 INTs, with <4 multi-INT have. If Trubisky puts up those numbers, FAs will see us as a free steps away from being a playoff contender.

3500+ yards, 22+ TDs, <13 INTs I think would be a good next step......really depends on how the offense flows.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I'm not print a strict line in the sand on our record this year, but for me, Nagy's year 2 better have this team in the mix for the playoffs. We have some good young talent filling in what were weaknesses this past season, there is no reason to believe that we can't have a well rounded roster with plenty of talent going into the next season.

I agree, year 2 they need to be serious playoff contenders.

unclebuck

Liked Posts:
I'm actually surprised of the amount of hype going no one has a clue how this is going to turn out yet this could be another Trestman debacle as far as we know?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm actually surprised of the amount of hype going no one has a clue how this is going to turn out yet this could be another Trestman debacle as far as we know?

everyone should start hating themselves now......stop this needless enthusiasm.......

DVYjQXQX0AAf5dF.jpg

Last edited: