Jerrell Freeman was never released?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That explains why Overthecap still has him on the roster but Sportrac assumes he has been cut as OTC usually waits for official reports.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Bears released ILB Jerrell Freeman.
This fully expected move will save Chicago $3.5 million against the cap. Freeman played well his first season with the Bears, but he missed four games because of a PED suspension and picked up another 10-game ban last year, the final two games of which he will have to serve in 2018. He is also set to turn 32 in May and is coming off a torn pectoral. Even so, Freeman is good enough to get a look from teams in need of linebacker help. Feb 20 - 12:05 PM

-ProFootballTalk

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bears released ILB Jerrell Freeman.
This fully expected move will save Chicago $3.5 million against the cap. Freeman played well his first season with the Bears, but he missed four games because of a PED suspension and picked up another 10-game ban last year, the final two games of which he will have to serve in 2018. He is also set to turn 32 in May and is coming off a torn pectoral. Even so, Freeman is good enough to get a look from teams in need of linebacker help. Feb 20 - 12:05 PM

-ProFootballTalk

That was posted above but Bears never released a press release so he's still no all the way gone.

D.J. Moore

The Member
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I believe what is happening here is that Pace hit the released button on the controller but the screen said you cannot release this player because of the amount of Linebackers you have, and he did not see this message leaving him still on the team.

Problem solved.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Just sign Bowman. Healthier, no PED issues, younger, and has the Vic connection.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The Chicago Bears released veteran linebacker Jerrell Freeman on Tuesday, according to multiple reports. https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ell-freeman-released-chicago-bears/355091002/
The Bears on Tuesday informed inside linebacker Jerrell Freeman his contract will be terminated. Pro Football Talk first reported the news.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...bears-jerrell-freeman-cut-20180220-story.html

You are confusing a media report with an official release.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty certain he was the first Bear to be released this offseason. At least I heard it on the Score. He'll be missing most of the 2018 season on suspension, so why keep him around?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I thought he played well when Trevathan was out, and together they were very good.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
It was announced but it was never made official maybe they can't cut him while he is receiving care for CTE or mental health.

I just saw he's on the roster on CB.com. Man, if true, this is some of the best news in a while for the LB corps.

I thought he played well when Trevathan was out, and together they were very good.

We've never really had both of them together for an extended period. I said earlier, and still believe that they could be one of the best ILB duo's in the NFL if healthy.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I just saw he's on the roster on CB.com. Man, if true, this is some of the best news in a while for the LB corps.

We've never really had both of them together for an extended period. I said earlier, and still believe that they could be one of the best ILB duo's in the NFL if healthy.

I'm usually wrong but I hope we still have Freeman or sign Bowman this off season.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
he was cut! it's just a mistake by the website still listing him as a Bear.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
It's a formality that he is still on the roster. They are waiting for him to be able to pass his physical so they won't owe him and injury settlement money. He is not in the plans at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's a formality that he is still on the roster. They are waiting for him to be able to pass his physical so they won't owe him and injury settlement money. He is not in the plans at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or... is this yet another ingenious Pace smokescreen?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I know the PEDs, suspensions, age and health are issues with him, but he has served his suspensions (or has 2 weeks left I'm not sure), and he should be healthy by now. I would imagine he would get a contract fairly quickly if we released him, so why not keep him? The contract is not terrible, and saving a whopping 3.5 in cap space (not sure that is true now either), will not land us a replacement unless we are counting on Kwik to be the starter and then we have Timu as possible depth.

I think that Trevathan and Freeman, are a better combo, and then we have Kwik as really good depth. Logic says we should keep him until at least the draft to see if we land someone.