• Edmunds

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • Nelson

Votes: 52 56.5%

• Total voters

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I would think Nelson has to be even more special than reported to get taken. We didn't hire Hiestand for draft advice. We hired him to make Lineman.

I think that's bad management. If your former college coach tells you the players he had are generational talent and you don't believe or listen to him why do you trust him to make players?

napo55

Liked Posts:
Its not a question. Its a fact. Except I've already pointed it out to you before that the impact of the best guard in the draft on a bottom feeder offense is greater than sticking a linebacker into an already top 10 defense. Inside pressure is a quarterback and drive killer. Inside pressure sends the quarterback either to the ground or flushes him right into the teeth of the defense's outside linebackers and defensive ends.

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and you may be right. Let's see what actually happens come April 28.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Haven't watched tape, but I'd think it makes the most sense to go O-Line. We just paid top dollar for 2 CBs, but got rid of a great guard in Josh Sitton. I would think Pace would focus more on doing whatever he can to put Mitch in the best position to succeed this season..

Visionman

Liked Posts:
We have no idea if Long will be ready to go, or what our new staff thinks of our other OG possibilities. So at this point, I don't think we can see OG as anything but a huge need...probably our biggest need. And Nelson is obviously going to be a very highly rated player on any teams board.

Will that be enough to overcome the positional value? Will that be enough to overcome our need at OLB and the high positional value of a pass rusher as well? No idea. I will,be happy with the choice either way, or even if Pace chooses to go a completely different direction...

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
People are stuck in the yesteryear of the NFL. Tackles are second fiddle now to interior OL play in today's NFL. Drafting a guard high is becoming what used to be drafting a LT. Offenses have evolved to the point that 7 step dropbacks are no longer even part of playbooks anymore. The biggest concern for a NFL offensive coordinator is the rush up the middle in 2018 not the QB's blindside. You can easily scheme to eliminate an edge rusher. It's much more difficult to scheme against the interior DL penetrating their gaps.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
^^^ Idk, I think that has more to do with a couple of weak tackle classes recently rather than higher priority on guards.

Here's the last 5 years vs a 5 year stretch 20 years ago:

Year - 1st rd Tackles/1st rd Guards (picks used on guards)

2017 - 2/0
2016 - 5/1 (28)
2015 - 5/1 (28)
2014 - 4/1 (16)
2013 - 5/3 (7, 10, 20) - three of the first four picks overall were tackles

1997 - 4/1 (10)
1996 - 7/1 (23)
1995 - 5/1 (14)
1994 - 5/0
1993 - 3/2 (18, 19)

’13-17 5 year span - 21 tackles/6 guards
’93-97 5 year span - 24 tackles/5 guards

Not too dissimilar, and the avg draft position of guards in that 90s stretch was even a tick higher at 16.8 vs 18.2

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that's bad management. If your former college coach tells you the players he had are generational talent and you don't believe or listen to him why do you trust him to make players?

That's in the post. 'I would think Nelson has to be even more special than reported to get taken.' That doesn't preclude taking him.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Who's the best player? That's all that matters. If Nelson is, you take him. There will likely be 4 QBs taken by then, with the possibility of a 5th if some QB needy team gets all anxious. We should have our pick of a lot of outstanding players.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
NFL salary averages.

LT $6,217,385
RT $3,230,863
C $2,786,325
G $2,487,620

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
NFL salary averages.

LT $6,217,385
RT $3,230,863
C $2,786,325
G $2,487,620

That doesn't mean you can't take a transcendent G at 8, just that the idea the NFL has radically changed importance of positions isn't really so. They all matter and the top salary at any position isn't that different other than QB.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The question all the Nelson supporters are ignoring is what quality OGs and centers will be available in the second round compared to LBs in that round. It looks like there will be starting quality interior linemen available there, but the LB dropoff is huge. Therefore, it makes the most sense to grab an impact defensive player (probably Edmunds) in the 1st round, and go OG in the second.

First....there are too many holes to fill with one draft. So basing picks off later availability is not the answer. You take the BPA at eight, thirty nine and probably even 105. The later picks you try and fill a hole or two. When you start trying to match players to holes, all it does is make you start second guessing yourself....less talented players start looking better and better. I wouldn't be upset with either guy but Nelson looks like a lock and while Edmunds could turn out to be a great player as well...there is a bit of doubt given his youth. Bears really need to hit a home run in the first round this year...the constant misfires on these prime picks has to end.

Reactions: Myk

Hammer

Liked Posts:
It's easy to choose when you have a blue chip prospect like OG Nelson available, who also happens to fill the position of a huge need for this Bears team.

On the other hand, what if Bears are left to choose from FS Fitzpatrick, SS D.James, CB Ward and ILB Edmunds quartet, who do you choose then?
Probable can't miss prospect at position of no need in Fitzpatrick or D.James, kinda undersized prospect at position of some need and take Ward, or do you go after pure athleticism and upside with high bust potential in Edmunds?

While answering this question operate under assumption that 4 QBs (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield), Barkley, Chubb and Nelson are already taken, and that there are no trade partners interested for the Bears trade down.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
It's easy to choose when you have a blue chip prospect like OG Nelson available, who also happens to fill the position of a huge need for this Bears team.

On the other hand, what if Bears are left to choose from FS Fitzpatrick, SS D.James, CB Ward and ILB Edmunds quartet, who do you choose then?
Probable can't miss prospect at position of no need in Fitzpatrick or D.James, kinda undersized prospect at position of some need and take Ward, or do you go after pure athleticism and upside with high bust potential in Edmunds?

Edmunds is not a big bust prospect. When you say bust you mean a guy like shea McClellin. That’s a bust.

Edmunds is considered a ‘high bust’ potential because he may not live up to the potential HoF player that his athletic upside has. Edmunds was in the running for the Butkus award, and was one of the best LBs in college football last year. He has a perfectly fine floor, but his ceiling is the roof.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Edmunds is a very young, raw developmental player and "underwear athletics (i.e. Combine) champion", that smells like trouble to me.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
You do realize Nelson’s measurables classify him as an elite prospect, right? You do realize he fills a position of need, right? You do realize he has been compared to HALL OF FAME players, right? Failing to acknowledge this makes you incompetent, sir. He fits the pace mold to a T.

So has tremaine edmunds. Right ?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Edmunds is a very young, raw developmental player and "underwear athletics (i.e. Combine) champion", that smells like trouble to me.

It's striking me that way too. Another CCS combine queen that never lives up to the hype.

Your question is much harder and realistic. I don't have a good answer.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Absolutely Edmunds for me. As far as guard is concerned, I'd rather move Whitehair back there and get a center somewhere later in the draft.

Billy Price's injury turned out to be minor but he could still drop to the third now. Or someone else. But I'd rather that than using the 8th pick on a guard when we have a great guard trying to learn how to snap the ball.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You build the foundation first. Nelson

Building around Trubisky should be the focus. Why risk all that drafting for him and stick him behind a bad offensive line without Kyle Long.