Votes: 7 7.6%
  • Edmunds

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • Nelson

Votes: 52 56.5%

• Total voters

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Nelson hands down. Interior OL is one of the most premier positions in the NFL right now. Look at the contracts that Pugh and Norwell just got. Offensive schemes in today's NFL require the QB to have a clean pocket. Edge rushers are more or less neutralized by today's offenses since they are all about stepping up into the pocket and getting rid of the ball quickly. The only way to stop this philosophy on defense is a strong push up the middle.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Urlacher, Larry Allen, or Darryl Green which is more important to the Bears needs right now?

Then if you wanna throw in Fitzpatrick/James as Troy Polamalu or Sean Taylor which gets you the most bang for your team.
I believe Nelson to Hernandez is a smaller gap than Edmunds to the next best ILB in rd 2.
CB I actually like Jaire Alexander as much if not more than Denzel Ward.
Safety there are quite a few safeties that are thumpers & can run for example Edmunds brother that ran 4.47.

Everyone talking about Nelson being once in a generation type OL, I heard those same things about Jonathan Cooper,
Chance Warmack, & Laremy Tunsil, the draft is a crapshoot so there are no sure things & as much as I like Nelson & want great things
for Trubisky I believe the #8 pick in the draft is just way too high for a OL that’s not a LT.

In my opinion, & once again they are like a-holes, being a BEAR means MLB.
I also understand that Edmunds might bust but I’d rather shoot for the moon with Edmunds potential ceiling
at a true PLAYMAKING/QUARTERBACKING position on D#...

Lol at you comparing James to Sean Taylor.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Why did he play the weak side at ND? Honest question and not a dig but don't you normally put you best G on the R.
Nelson was recruited to play OT out of HS but the only place on that ND line that was open was LG, and he was there ever since.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
I see Nelson legitimately being able to play RT, plus if we get him at #8 and some C at #39 (Price, Daniels, etc.), Bears O-Line might be set for the foreseeable future, which would be great from Trubs development standpoint.

LT - Leno
LG - Whitehair
C - #39 (Price/Daniels) / Kush
RG - Long/Morgan
RT - #8 (Nelson) / Massie

Speed

Liked Posts:
I change my vote to Nelson. With a bulletproof oline the offense has a chance to grow into something special.

Madden

Liked Posts:
Vea would be awesome for us but we already have Goldman at that position so its not a big need.

I don't think we go DT/NT in the 1st round but I think it's a need. We have no decent backup for Goldman. Jenkins is a Free Agent and I think the only other NT we have is Coward? If Goldman gets hurt we are pretty thin as far as depth. Hoping we pick up a NT somewhere later in the draft.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
I see Coward as a player with similar upside at NT as for example Morgan at OG, similar small school types with some talent/upside, that just needed a year to sit and learn.
But on the other side, really hope they'll get some depth 5-tech DE in 4th round.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I hope someone takes Nelson before our pick. I do not want to take a guard (even a great one) at eight.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think we go DT/NT in the 1st round but I think it's a need. We have no decent backup for Goldman. Jenkins is a Free Agent and I think the only other NT we have is Coward? If Goldman gets hurt we are pretty thin as far as depth. Hoping we pick up a NT somewhere later in the draft.

I agree, but not at 8.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I said Nelson. I think he will help Howard a lot, and keep Trubisky clean. Or at least help. Though, if all of them are there, why not trade back to 11?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nelson was recruited to play OT out of HS but the only place on that ND line that was open was LG, and he was there ever since.

I get it but you'd think they'd move guys in the offseason to be most effective.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why did he play the weak side at ND? Honest question and not a dig but don't you normally put you best G on the R.

Hiestand had been Both McGlinchey and Nelson's coach at Notre Dame and would be the best Brain to pick about their talents and abilities in the NFL......As long as his attitude isnt like Tice's , "That's the reason they give me the Big Paycheck."

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hiestand had been Both McGlinchey and Nelson's coach at Notre Dame and would be the best Brain to pick about their talents and abilities in the NFL......As long as his attitude isnt like Tice's , "That's the reason they give me the Big Paycheck."

But did he chip Hiestand's tooth doe? Gotta pick his brane for the deets.

napo55

Liked Posts:
The question all the Nelson supporters are ignoring is what quality OGs and centers will be available in the second round compared to LBs in that round. It looks like there will be starting quality interior linemen available there, but the LB dropoff is huge. Therefore, it makes the most sense to grab an impact defensive player (probably Edmunds) in the 1st round, and go OG in the second.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But did he chip Hiestand's tooth doe? Gotta pick his brane for the deets.

hahaha J'marcus. I always felt that to keep some of those olinemen focused they need to install a radio activated cattle prod ( sewed into a tailbone pad )near their ass and use it occasionally .... maybe just as they break huddle.... Would have kept Webb aware. Dont wanna prod'em at the line too many offsides.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The question all the Nelson supporters are ignoring is what quality OGs and centers will be available in the second round compared to LBs in that round. It looks like there will be starting quality interior linemen available there, but the LB dropoff is huge. Therefore, it makes the most sense to grab an impact defensive player (probably Edmunds) in the 1st round, and go OG in the second.

Its not a question. Its a fact. Except I've already pointed it out to you before that the impact of the best guard in the draft on a bottom feeder offense is greater than sticking a linebacker into an already top 10 defense. Inside pressure is a quarterback and drive killer. Inside pressure sends the quarterback either to the ground or flushes him right into the teeth of the defense's outside linebackers and defensive ends.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Urlacher, Larry Allen, or Darryl Green which is more important to the Bears needs right now?

Trubisky. Which one of those keeps Trubisky healthy and gives him time to score? Which one of those helps his development?
As you say the draft is a crap shoot so the only guarantee by not getting Nelson is you won't have a HOF'er on the oline.

I'm all for having that pro-bowl defense, but after we have our pro-bowl offense or at least not at the cost of getting that pro-bowl offense. Otherwise all you're doing is repeating Lovie's team. How many winning rings did they get with that great defense?
That said, BPA at #8 (although unless they get a FA for Sitton I'm thinking they may be going oline, trade up for Nelson if needed or reach for McGlinchey).

For those saying not a guard at 8, don't worry, I doubt other teams are thinking that and Nelson won't make it to 8.

Not ignoring it. Not buying "get a crappier offense because there are crappy defense". Basically wanting people to live by the BS BPA claims they make to support getting the players they want. If Nelson would happen to be there he will probably be the BPA.
If we're lucky enough that one of the top 4 non-QBs obvious picks make it that is the BPA choice for #8 whether they're offense or defense.
If they're not there then by all means Edmunds should be on the table.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I would think Nelson has to be even more special than reported to get taken. We didn't hire Hiestand for draft advice. We hired him to make Lineman.