"This is taking a lot longer than any of us thought it would . . . " . . .

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Another straight shooting, nail-on-the-head piece of analysis by this forum's best asset. And as usual completely unappreciated by the undeserving masses who are too ungrateful to realize when they're being smacked by a real truth bomb.

Agreed. This is taking longer than expected and that is simple fact. One cannot even argue progress is made yet.

Since FA began, I have said I am happy to put criticism of Pace on the back burner and wait til meaningful games are played and watch the W column for growth. It has to change there. He cannot be given credit for hits in FA that exist as "hits" only on paper, just like he cannot be given credit for "hits" in the draft based on starting percentage on a bottom tier team. It must translate to wins or this "great FA period" will only be great in potential and not great in football success.

Even as I said I am happy to put criticism of Pace on hold, I am leery of the blind love around here for a guy who has been waiting this long to make significant moves in coach and systemic changes leading to putting Chicago on the FA map as if he knew all along 3 years before that Nagy was his guy and AR15 was his WR etc etc.

That strikes me as misguided and it is alarming how many choose to believe it is true and how they will use methods of outright dismissal and passive aggressive means of acting like any other position than theirs does not even deserve honest discussion. It's kind of unnerving.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Stems from impatience. He gets flak for FA acquisitions that have failed, but almost all of his FA acquisitions were on "prove it" deals and were stopgap players. He gets flak from meatballs about Glennon (stop gap), Freeman (stop gap), McPhee (stop gap), Wheaton (stop gap), Cooper (stop gap) Rolle (stop gap), etc.

Stop gap FA's rarely work out, but that's what Pace had to do to fill holes on the roster while the rebuilding commenced. You weren't going to land the cream of the crop in FA, because most FA's want to go somewhere where they can compete for division titles and in the playoffs. Wasn't happening from 2015-17 in Chicago, so why go somewhere and waste the prime years of your career on a team that has almost zero shot of competing?

Cap space is a real asset; spending it should be done to accomplish something. The problem with the guys you listed wasn't that they were stop gaps (hell, McPhee was here three years?) but the fact that they never came close to being worth the money spent on them. You could see the idea of the Glennon signing in Pace's head: he'll come in, play well as a starter and then I'll trade him when Mitch is ready and it will make up for the cost of trading up to get Mitch. To be fair to Pace, Glennon didn't have to be that good to make that plan even make that much sense. Cleveland just traded a third to get one year of Tyrod so if Glennon was anywhere close to competent, he likely gets something. But again, Pace misevaluated the talent so the corresponding contract just looks awful. Now the Bears have 18 million less to spend this off-season SOLELY because of how poorly the Glennon deal went.

The problem isn't that they're stop gaps (I mean Prince was a stop gap too) but the fact that the player was bad and the cap space wasted.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Cap space is a real asset; spending it should be done to accomplish something. The problem with the guys you listed wasn't that they were stop gaps (hell, McPhee was here three years?) but the fact that they never came close to being worth the money spent on them. You could see the idea of the Glennon signing in Pace's head: he'll come in, play well as a starter and then I'll trade him when Mitch is ready and it will make up for the cost of trading up to get Mitch. To be fair to Pace, Glennon didn't have to be that good to make that plan even make that much sense. Cleveland just traded a third to get one year of Tyrod so if Glennon was anywhere close to competent, he likely gets something. But again, Pace misevaluated the talent so the corresponding contract just looks awful. Now the Bears have 18 million less to spend this off-season SOLELY because of how poorly the Glennon deal went.

The problem isn't that they're stop gaps (I mean Prince was a stop gap too) but the fact that the player was bad and the cap space wasted.

I hope that this was not Pace's line of thinking mainly because only an absolute ignoramus would ever think Mike Glennon would garner any trade value.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I hope that this was not Pace's line of thinking mainly because only an absolute ignoramus would ever think Mike Glennon would garner any trade value.

Well he was in the NFC South with New Orleans when Glennon was playing regularly and if you go back and re-read what he thought of him when they signed him (and then know at the time he truly wanted to get Trubisky for the future), you can see what was going on in his head.

3/45 18 guaranteed is basically a low-level starting QB contract; that's not a "stop gap" or some questionmark or some guy you want to keep as a backup.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he's an alt he's an old alt from CBMB where they did not like him picking on Virginia and surely would've used that to delete him if they had that power (or he wasn't using a VPN).

shoopster an alt? . . . An unimaginitive and wholly inaccurate dismissal.

Know you're history, fellas. the shoopster was winning multiple Poster of the Year awards on CBMB while most of you were playin' with your plasticine. . .

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Well he was in the NFC South with New Orleans when Glennon was playing regularly and if you go back and re-read what he thought of him when they signed him (and then know at the time he truly wanted to get Trubisky for the future), you can see what was going on in his head.

3/45 18 guaranteed is basically a low-level starting QB contract; that's not a "stop gap" or some questionmark or some guy you want to keep as a backup.

He cost nothing to cut in the second year of the contract...that is the definition of a stop gap contract. Show me one GM that signs a player and says in his press conference, "we like this schlub but we don't see us having him for more than a year 2 at most"