Will kevin white be back?

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
USA TODAY
Bears' roster moves create a looming roster hurdle for Kevin White
By John Mullin March 18, 2018 12:31 PM
13 Comments
Questions have been hanging over Kevin White ever since GM Ryan Pace opted to invest the No. 7 pick of the 2015 draft on a wide receiver with one outstanding college season on his resume. Given Pace’s strike for a quarterback with a roughly similar body of work last draft, this may qualify as a Pace “strategy,” but that’s for another discussion closer to the draft.

But in the wake of signings at wide receiver by Pace and the Bears over the start-up days of free agency, a new and perhaps darker cloud is forming over White. This is beyond the obvious ones visited on the young man by his succession of three season-ending injuries, and by a nagging belief in some quarters that White is a bust irrespective of the injuries.

The point is not that White will never amount to anything in the NFL. Marc Colombo came back from a pair of horrendous leg injuries to have a career as a solid NFL tackle, albeit with the Dallas Cowboys, not the Bears.

The problem facing White now, assuming he comes back able to stay healthy in a competition with Cameron Meredith for the spot opposite Allen Robinson, is whether there is reasonably going to be a roster spot the Bears can use for him.

This would be on top of whether Pace and the organization could bring themselves to cut ties with a quality individual in a move that would amount to admitting a failure in what was supposed to be a defining initial top-10 pick by a regime committed to building through the draft.

White is still under his rookie contract with its $2.7 million guaranteed for this season, so there is little reason to simply give up on him, even assuming an offset if White then signs on somewhere else.

But Robinson and slot receiver Taylor Gabriel account for two of the starting three wideout spots. For the other wide receiver job, Meredith, also coming off season-ending knee surgery, rates an early edge on White based on Meredith’s 66-catch 2016 season.

If White does not start, he then becomes a backup, and backups are expected to contribute on special teams. It’s what has kept Josh Bellamy in the NFL, and what new Bears tight end Trey Burton points to as his ticket to making it through his first years with Philadelphia.

White doesn’t cover kicks, doesn’t return them, doesn’t block them. The Bears have typically expected special-teams participation from their No. 4-5 receivers, although the fact that Meredith and Robinson are coming off knee injuries, and chances that the Bears will keep six wide receivers in the West Coast offense of Matt Nagy, all could tilt a decision in favor of White simply as insurance/depth, even with his own injury history.

It is difficult not to have a spot of rooting-interest in White, a young guy trying so hard to get a career dream off the ground. It’s just also difficult to see a clear fit in the new Bears world that began forming in earnest in the past several days.

Exactly what i said but people got butthurt when I mentioned it.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's still got more potential than Drops Bellamy or even Meredith who also had a leg injury and doesn't play ST either. He's also making $5m which Cam will likely do as well. They will give him every opportunity to re-acclimate and finally have an opportunity to develop with live reps. Of course he's never played ST, he's always been a starter. Did you know that Bellamy played less than 1/4 of the special teams snaps last year? Per Biggs: "Bellamy played 24 percent of the team’s special teams snaps." Guys don't get cut due to ST unless they are already low man on the position totem pole.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pretty obvious, by the next sentence, what was meant in that post. If that's all you got, I'm gellin.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty obvious for the next sentence what was meant in that post. If that's all you got, I'm gellin.

It's difficult for him to make any real comments other than his constant habitual same ol same ol dribble.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Exactly what i said but people got butthurt when I mentioned it.

People aren't used to you posting anything on here without Pace hate in it. That's all you've done on here is troll so it's kinda hard to take anything from you serious is all.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Rebuilds aren't supposed to take this long. The bears realized that with emery and wisely cut him loose after 3 years. They then hire a gm that is worse and give him an extension. I really don't understand how anyone can find pace and his failed signing's and draft acceptable. And the problem with alshon wasn't that he let him walk, but that he let him go for nothing. No compensation. They didn't even get a compensatory pick. Miami was smart and got something in return for landry. Pace is too dumb to do that and routinely gets fleeced in trades. It happened last year with trubs. No team wanted to trade up for him but he still gave up valuable mid round picks in a rebuild for a player he could have had at 3.

Just off the top of my head there were two playoff teams last year that were in their 6th year of a rebuild under the same GM. Jacksonville under Caldwell and the Rams under Snead...

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Hid his injury well, LOL. Anyone calling him a reach or bad pick is an idiot. Shit happens and if you can't deal, pick another sport.

I agree. But man, wish he would have panned out early

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Zack Miller had a couple nice seasons for us after a similar start to his career in Jax.

Not expecting anything from KW but it could happen

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I hope so but if we sign Cameron Meredith to a long term deal we'll probably have to get rid of White.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
People aren't used to you posting anything on here without Pace hate in it. That's all you've done on here is troll so it's kinda hard to take anything from you serious is all.

I have been very fair to him. I have made it clear that I love the moves he has made so far this offseason with the nagy hire and free agency. I give him a solid B which could turn into an A if he doesnt mess up the draft. But that still doesn't excuse the first 3 years of incompetence. The bears have had a gm that has had to learn on the job even though it is a franchise that cant afford one.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Just off the top of my head there were two playoff teams last year that were in their 6th year of a rebuild under the same GM. Jacksonville under Caldwell and the Rams under Snead...

The eagles rebuild didnt take that long. I would also rather have the bears be compared to winning organizations like the packers, ravens, steelers, and the pats instead of perennial losers like the browns and the jags.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
The eagles rebuild didnt take that long. I would also rather have the bears be compared to winning organizations like the packers, ravens, steelers, and the pats instead of perennial losers like the browns and the jags.
To be fair, so do 28 other teams.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
To be fair, so do 28 other teams.

the 28 other teams dont play in the largest solo team market. The bears have a lot of fans and only one super bowl in franchise hsitory to show for it. That coming before lot of us where even born.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kevin White played soft when on the field. That’s my biggest worry with him. Maybe he’s got that underdog fight back in him now? We’ll see in preseason, cause he’s not going anywhere until then at the earliest

This is a common misconception because of all the injuries he’s sustained, but Kevin White is an extremely strong and powerful player. In fact, the only other WR with that kind of blend of blazing speed and raw power is Julio Jones.

White can physically manhandle any CB...

rKsTZQS.jpg

CLIP 1

And it takes 4 defenders to take him down in the open field...

CLIP 2

CLIP 3

MRN.

Liked Posts:
I think Pace would be stupid to give up on White already, we need someone who can be a playmaker and White could potentially be damn good if fully healthy.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
This is a common misconception because of all the injuries he’s sustained, but Kevin White is an extremely strong and powerful player. In fact, the only other WR with that kind of blend of blazing speed and raw power is Julio Jones.

rKsTZQS.jpg

CLIP 1

CLIP 2

CLIP 3

Did you just compare white the julio jones?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Do you know what those organizations have in common? Continuity... They don't fold to the knee jerk reactions of their fan bases. Which means they view meatballs like you as white noise.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Do you know what those organizations have in common? Continuity... They don't fold to the knee jerk reactions of their fan bases. Which means they view meatballs like you as white noise.

Those teams also have fans that demand excellence and not meatballs like you that think losing is "rebuilding."

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Those teams also have fans that demand excellence and not meatballs like you that think losing is "rebuilding."

When I read your posts I think it has to be a bit because nobody could really be this dense. However, then I think of some of the fans that show up to Soldier Field in their 2 size too small Zubaz or the fat guys that strip off their shirts in frigid weather and think it’s possible and maybe even plausible.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:

rKsTZQS.jpg

CLIP 1

CLIP 2

CLIP 3

That's a helluva' assessment to make from about 9 snaps from scrimmage . . .