Harold Landry, the BEST pass rusher in the draft.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Landry is still not getting enough love. Harold Landry is the BEST PASS RUSHER in the draft. When it comes to getting to the QB, Landry is better than Chubb, Davenport, Hubbard and whoever else you want to list. Harold Landry is worth a top 10 pick and certainly worth the Bears pick at #8.

If you haven't watch him or want a little more insight into Landry, Voch is here to break him down and break down the misconceptions on Landry.

[video=youtube;vfFSWrbxRC8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfFSWrbxRC8[/video]

#Landryat8

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Chubb and Landry seem more pro ready than Davenport and Edmunds.

"He's just like (Vic) Beasley coming out with the way he comes off the snap. You remember how Beasley struggled early because he had to learn to be a pass rusher and not just a sprinter? I think Landry might be the same early on. When he puts it together, he'll do what Beasley did." -- NFC team pro personnel director

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
He’s a lesser Vic Beasley. Needs at least a year before he can start, liability in the run game.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Beasley is a total athletic freak. I think Landry can become a very good pass rusher, but he's going to get run right at at the beginning of his career. More of a 14-20 guy for me, but no doubt he can get off the ball and bend the edge.

Physically he's almost exactly like Yannick Ngakoue. Probably a bit more burst.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He's my sleeper pick at #8. I don't want him at 8, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears are interested. 16.5 sacks in 2016 was huge for him. Beasley comp is interesting. Beasley started slow, led the league in sacks his 2nd year, then back down to 5 sacks (scheme changed, I believe).

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Landry plays the run better than Beasley I think. Landry really doesn't do a bad job at all with his positioning in the run game, he understands and sticks to his assignments well. If you watch the tape, you will see how well he disengages from blocks and the ways he does it is quite crafty.

I still think he also bends the corner and is looser than Beasley too. Beasley probably more explosive off the mark but Landry looks smoother going sideways.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
To be fair, I have not watched Harold Landry play that much. From what I've heard, he has a quick burst off the snap and is quick around the edge. But I've also heard that he is not only average at run support, but hes a liability at it. I think the analyst pointed out the Notre Dame game as an example.

Again, I have not seen nearly enough of his tape to form an opinion. Is his run support really that bad? Does he have a higher ceiling than Marcus Davenport?

Side note: I have watched a fair amount of Arden Key, and if that guy can put it together, he may be a steal for some team.

Trantor

Liked Posts:
Daniel Jeremiah has him as the #39 player in the draft. That sounds like a massive reach at 8. If teams have similar grades on him, he'll probably go somewhere between 20 and 35.

RANK

Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College
Landry is an undersized edge rusher. At BC, he was deployed as a hand-in-the-ground defensive end and a stand-up outside linebacker. Against the pass, he lacks an elite get-off, but he has a variety of hand moves and bends really well coming off the corner. He's very successful when he bends/rips/flattens to the quarterback. He also has the ability to widen and convert speed to power against opposing tackles. His effort is excellent. He was an outstanding finisher in 2016, but fell off of a few sacks in 2017. He's inconsistent against the run. He flashes the quickness to cross the face of blockers and collect tackles, but once engaged, he struggles to get off blocks. He needs to get stronger. I see Landry as a fit for teams that employ a 3-4 defense and are looking for a pass-rush upgrade. He has some similarities to Dee Ford coming out of Auburn.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Daniel Jeremiah has him as the #39 player in the draft. That sounds like a massive reach at 8. If teams have similar grades on him, he'll probably go somewhere between 20 and 35.

RANK

Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College
Landry is an undersized edge rusher. At BC, he was deployed as a hand-in-the-ground defensive end and a stand-up outside linebacker. Against the pass, he lacks an elite get-off, but he has a variety of hand moves and bends really well coming off the corner. He's very successful when he bends/rips/flattens to the quarterback. He also has the ability to widen and convert speed to power against opposing tackles. His effort is excellent. He was an outstanding finisher in 2016, but fell off of a few sacks in 2017. He's inconsistent against the run. He flashes the quickness to cross the face of blockers and collect tackles, but once engaged, he struggles to get off blocks. He needs to get stronger. I see Landry as a fit for teams that employ a 3-4 defense and are looking for a pass-rush upgrade. He has some similarities to Dee Ford coming out of Auburn.

I wonder what team holds the 39th overall pick :thinking:

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Matt Miller just said he’d be a massive reach at 8 and wouldn’t need a good year or two before he can contribute. I don’t watch College football so have no opinion on his play but I want a day 1 contributor with the 8th pick. Not another project with upside.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I wonder what team holds the 39th overall pick :thinking:

If we get this dude at #39 it's the steal of the draft.

His physical skillset lines up with the likes of Vic Beasely and Von Miller and he was just as productive as both of those guys despite being the obvious best player on his team but yeah, he isn't worth a top 10 pick.

Trantor

Liked Posts:

His physical skillset lines up with the likes of Vic Beasely and Von Miller and he was just as productive as both of those guys despite being the obvious best player on his team but yeah, he isn't worth a top 10 pick.

He had a couple of really nice agility drills, but overall, he didn't have the elite performances at the combine that von miller and vic beasley both did. Not as fast, not as explosive. It's unlikely he's a top 10 guy in this draft, but I doubt he makes it to day 2.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You obviously haven't watched him. Classic.

I've been a Landry fan for a while and thought he killed it at the combine. Not sure he'll go as early as 8 but i've also been all about trading down in this draft so i'd love to trade down and get him in the teens or early 20's. If one of these top 4 QB's are still there at 8 then we might be able to get those 2 first rounders from Buffalo at #12 and #22 and i'd take Landry at either one of those spots.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

No way in hell is H.Landry still on the board at #39. Obviously a big name or two slip in every draft but it won't be Landry who will go in the 1st round.

I hope to hell i'm wrong and he's sitting there at #39 and we didn't draft OLB at #8.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately this isn’t a great draft for OLBs. No thanks on Key in the first round and Davenport might be the best prospect at OLB but he should probably be drafted in the bottom half of round 1.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been a Landry fan for a while and thought he killed it at the combine. Not sure he'll go as early as 8 but i've also been all about trading down in this draft so i'd love to trade down and get him in the teens or early 20's. If one of these top 4 QB's are still there at 8 then we might be able to get those 2 first rounders from Buffalo at #12 and #22 and i'd take Landry at either one of those spots.

Never going to happen.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I'm all in on drafting Davenport at 8. If you can get a 10+ sack guy then you have to draft him. Especially being in the division that we play in.

I like Landry, but he's pretty one-dimensional as a pass rusher. Too reliant on the speed rush. He's definitely not worth the 8th pick. He's a later first, early second round guy. Probably won't be there when our second pick comes back around.