Stephen White reviews Marcus Davenport

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Awesome read. Davenport would make me very happy.

And for those of you who don't know who Stephen White is he played 7 years in the league. This isn't some message board meathead. (like me)

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Great prospect, good chance he's the choice at 8 imo.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really great stuff man, thanks for sharing!

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Great article. Davenport is dripping with untapped potential. Just a couple days of coaching at the senior bowl and he was dominating. He’s played great against big schools when he was the main focal point. Fangio could polish him very quickly. Adding Bowman and Davenport, along with an offense that doesn’t go 3nOut, would make the defense top 5.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
It's nice to read something that makes sense instead of the typical superdraftguru analysis: "Davenport's raw" that includes no other explanation.

Even before this article, it was clear that he belonged in the conversation for a number of reasons. Regardless of where a guy plays school at when they prove they can speed rush, bull rush and then come with the size and measured speed while playing well at the senior bowl. Not only that but he played standing up and did well in coverage. Any 3-4 team in the top 15 has to have him high on their board.

My guess is a lot of teams in the back half of the 1st round are throwing around the "raw" bullshit just hoping he falls.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Davenport would be awesome. I think he’s my favorite pick for CHI based on our needs.

BearDownTexas

Liked Posts:
Id be pretty stoked if we ended up with this kid at 8. Hes a huge, fast, strong, seek and destroy kind of player. Did i mention hes huge? The potential this kid has is frightening, and i believe the coaches could improve his game a whole lot, and fast. Imagine if he puts on 20-30 pounds....jesus. i would not bitch one bit if we picked him.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
More likely our pick over Edmunds IF we don't think Edmunds will be outside.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yeah choo choo I'd go with Davenport instead of Edmunds if they have done their due diligence thru interviews, tape, personal workouts, and coaches

napo55

Liked Posts:
The Bears picked another DE from a small school by the name of Richard Dent who wound up being pretty good. Davenport is bigger and faster. No guarantee he will be as good, but the potential is there.

Reactions: DC

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Hard not to be on board after reading that. Especially considering he has the protypical size Fangio looks for in his OLB. Tall with long arms and this dude is a straight beast and super athletic. Could be a perfect match.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
My opinion of Davenport versus Edmunds is that Davenport has basically the same speed as Edmunds while playing the DE/OLB position whereas Edmunds plays inside linebacker and people want him to play OLB. DE/OLB are much more important positions than inside linebackers which is proved by top salaries (top DE is 17 million, top OLB is 19 million, top inside linebacker is 12 million).

Since Davenport has the potential of eventually being as good or better than the Chubby one, it is well worth the risk of taking him at 8. He has already shown some pass rush moves, he has shown that he takes well to coaching and he is an athletic freak.

If I wanted an inside linebacker with the versatility of Edmunds, I would trade down a bit in the 2nd to get a third (perhaps moving up with a 4th round pick) to pickup Shaquem Griffen. He would be like a Ryan Shazier type but with more speed yet only 10 less pounds. He would be an ultra-versatile defensive player.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
tumblr_o44rmcdFKb1tqh2yyo1_500.gif

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Best player on the Bears played at university of regina. He can definitely play the edge, which I don't think edmunds projects to play.

Sign me up for this guy.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I still really like Landry but I would by no means be unhappy with Davenport.

Obviously, the physical size and skillset is enticing but those long arms moves and the power he has is what attracts me to him. Even somebody with an untrained eye can just see him jolt and move people on tape.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I’m surprised somebody hasn’t chimed in the with ever famous “he won’t be there at 8.”