Apparently Caratini is going to be the back up C

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I surely hope it happens in less than 5 years.....I don't blame the catchers at all, it's the dumbass umpires that allow themselves to get sucked into it. If these pompous asses would take a few minutes and watch one of their games on replay they'd see how foolish they look....but they're way too full of themselves to do that.

This is an asinine take. The problem has nothing to do with umps being egotistical and everything to do with physics and human physiology. No human being, standing where an ump stands, can reliably discern borderline balls from strikes. Just like hitters, they lose accurate sight of the ball as it gets closer to them--the human eye cannot track an object that fast, that close. That's why pitch framing works, because it makes borderline balls appear as strikes after the fact. You can have them watch all the film in the world and they'll still never improve from where they are now (10-20% of calls incorrect).

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I was framing pitches as a catcher in the mid 60s. Nothing new here

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This is an asinine take. The problem has nothing to do with umps being egotistical and everything to do with physics and human physiology. No human being, standing where an ump stands, can reliably discern borderline balls from strikes. Just like hitters, they lose accurate sight of the ball as it gets closer to them--the human eye cannot track an object that fast, that close. That's why pitch framing works, because it makes borderline balls appear as strikes after the fact. You can have them watch all the film in the world and they'll still never improve from where they are now (10-20% of calls incorrect).
Correct. And as the average velocity of the FB keeps going up, the zone calls aren't likely to improve.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'd consider having Caratini getting MLB reps to showcase his bat for a possible trade, if needed.
Possibility too...
They have til june 1st to bring Giminez up..

Caratini gets 2 months to either prove himself to the cubs to stay up all year or build trade value

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

What difference does it make? Whether they take the easy way out by locking in on the catcher's glove or legitimately just can't follow the pitch....the ball/strike calls have been in decline for years. The tech is there, it's time to get their asses out from behind the plate. The big bonus is that games will be consistently called with a predetermined zone and not a zone that changes with every umpire.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What difference does it make? Whether they take the easy way out by locking in on the catcher's glove or legitimately just can't follow the pitch....the ball/strike calls have been in decline for years. The tech is there, it's time to get their asses out from behind the plate. The big bonus is that games will be consistently called with a predetermined zone and not a zone that changes with every umpire.

How does it feel to want?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I would rather have our pitchers thowing strikes than our catchers stealing strikes.
Id prefer a pitcher who has great control of their pitches and can hit their target..

A pitcher who can just get the ball over the plate, will eventually get rocked by hitters just sitting back waiting for it..

A pitcher who can play the corners and hit their target will get calls..If you add a catcher who can frame well, then he getting most of those close ones called strikes..

Just watch the 90s Braves starters with Maddux etc..
Charlie Obrien who caught all of Maddux games and javy Lopez were 2 very good catchers...

If your familiar with that team , you know what im talking about

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
For everyone who saw yesterday's game against the Red Sox:

I'd like a backup catcher who can throw the ball back to the 6'5" pitcher and not toss it 10 feet above his outstretched arm!

Gimmy, you're up... :D

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Id prefer a pitcher who has great control of their pitches and can hit their target..

A pitcher who can just get the ball over the plate, will eventually get rocked by hitters just sitting back waiting for it..

A pitcher who can play the corners and hit their target will get calls..If you add a catcher who can frame well, then he getting most of those close ones called strikes..

Just watch the 90s Braves starters with Maddux etc..
Charlie Obrien who caught all of Maddux games and javy Lopez were 2 very good catchers...

If your familiar with that team , you know what im talking about

I know what you are saying, but I have had far too many years of Yadi Molina stealing strikes against us and I am not the type to just say, lets do it too.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I know what you are saying, but I have had far too many years of Yadi Molina stealing strikes against us and I am not the type to just say, lets do it too.

You can catch a strike and make it look like a ball. Just ask Welington Castillo

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Yea but if it works it works...

Youre saving your pitchers from throwing those extra pitches to a batter and in game, and can be the difference from going to the pen an inning or two earlier...