Cubs extension

chibears55

Liked Posts:
http://www.bleachernation.com/2018/...-players-again-but-nothing-has-come-together/

Below, I’ve listed some of the players the Cubs front office might consider extending, their age, and how many years of remaining control the team has on each player.

Kyle Hendricks – 28 years old, 3 years of team control

Jose Quintana – 29, 3

Willson Contreras – 25, 5

Javy Baez – 25, 4

Kris Bryant – 26, 4

Anthony Rizzo – 28, 4

Addison Russell – 24, 4

Albert Almora Jr. – 23, 5

Ian Happ – 22, 6

Kyle Schwarber – 25, 4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
how? they are 12,693,231.22 away from luxury tax?

Boy, four years is definitely going to bite having to come up with two 30 million AAV salaries, wonder if they get a deduction for Tony giving most of his money to Cancer research?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
http://www.bleachernation.com/2018/...-players-again-but-nothing-has-come-together/

Below, I’ve listed some of the players the Cubs front office might consider extending, their age, and how many years of remaining control the team has on each player.

Kyle Hendricks – 28 years old, 3 years of team control

Jose Quintana – 29, 3

Willson Contreras – 25, 5

Javy Baez – 25, 4

Kris Bryant – 26, 4

Anthony Rizzo – 28, 4

Addison Russell – 24, 4

Albert Almora Jr. – 23, 5

Ian Happ – 22, 6

Kyle Schwarber – 25, 4

Looking at list, not sure what the rush is to get anyone extended other then Bryant and maybe Russell..

1. Hendricks will be 32 after his 3 yrs are up.. guess maybe you can get another 2-3 yrs put of him to age 35..

2. Quintana will be 33 after his 3 yrs are up.. maybe squeeze in an extra 2 yrs to age 35..

3. Rizzo will be 33 after his 4 yrs are up, probably better off waiting til then and see where he at productivity wise.
Dont see him leaving the cubs if they want him back..

4. Schwarber will be 30 after his 4 yrs are up, that going to be a decision of do they feel he will be a quality enough LFer going forward after the age of 30 to hold onto him a couple more years..
Im sure extending him will be addressed more after 2019 season..

5. Contreras will be 30 after his 5 yrs are up, with 5 more years left there really no rush now to deal with him..
Id wait til after 2019 or even 2020 season to see where he at..

6. Baez will be 30 after his 4 yrs are up, i think unless they let him play everyday at 2B and he becomes a GG AS at 2B, they might be ok with letting him walk and going younger at 2B

7. Russell will be 29 after his 4 yrs are up, he could be in same boat as Baez or they just might look to lock him up now for another 2-3 yrs..

8. Almora will be 29 after his 5 yrs are up, think theyll wait and see where he plans out for them..

9. Happ will be 29 after his 6 yrs are up, same as Almora.. wait and see

10 Bryant will be 30 after his 4 yrs are up, im sure he no.1 priority to extend a couple more years..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
how? they are 12,693,231.22 away from luxury tax?

Boy, four years is definitely going to bite having to come up with two 30 million AAV salaries, wonder if they get a deduction for Tony giving most of his money to Cancer research?
Wont count towards this year salary..
It would start next year if they agree to an extension this year

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
In some cases you just want to buy out the arb years and 1 or 2 years of FA. I would think Happ would be a perfect candidate, maybe some of the others. Philly inked Scott Kingery to a deal yesterday that probably saved them millions. You just have to be creative.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
In some cases you just want to buy out the arb years and 1 or 2 years of FA. I would think Happ would be a perfect candidate, maybe some of the others. Philly inked Scott Kingery to a deal yesterday that probably saved them millions. You just have to be creative.
I can see that if they plan on keeping the guy pass those years like Bryant, otherwise they might as well let it play out..

Not sure if these guys are willing to accept team friendly deals like Rizzo did at this point, maybe that the hold up with whomever they talked too..

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I can see that if they plan on keeping the guy pass those years like Bryant, otherwise they might as well let it play out..

Not sure if these guys are willing to accept team friendly deals like Rizzo did at this point, maybe that the hold up with whomever they talked too..

Well you always try. Team friendly deals also make players more tradeable so it's not just that you want to keep them. Clearly when it comes to Bryant that's about retaining the player.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Don't forget the Bryce Harper money.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would look at what they have ready at the minor league level before they re-sign anyone.

At 2B/SS they have Ademan upcoming. He makes a nice cash relief and potential lead off at either spot. Russell may never live up to his potential but that doesn’t matter with Boras.

At SP they have depth. Something might upwell out of it. It does make some choices difficult but I tend to believe what happened to Arretta May end up the fate of others.