IST: Cubs @ Reds

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You have to wonder who the advance scouts are on this team? I mean every new pitcher the Cubs haven't faced looks like Bob Gibson to them. What exactly are the advance scouts doing? What information are they gathering and passing along to the hitters?

This is not something new....it's being going on for three years.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Happs swing is too long. And too many Ks.

This team talked HR record during ST. Try getting some fucking singles and doubles!

So going 1 for 3 with a walk (.500 OBA) is a negative day just because the other .500 were by strike out? Come on now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The main problem with today was not stringing a inning together.

1st: Happ walks/Bryant fly out/Rizzo plunked/Back to back strike outs
2nd: Baez triple with 2 outs with the pitcher up next. Well expected result.
3rd: Nothing
4th: DP with 1 out. Not a red flag but when the well is dry....
5th: Nothing
6th: Nothing
7th: Schwarber caught stealing. Well I get trying to get something going but...
8th: this was the opportunity. But 2 SO's gave no room for error. Adding Zo was a bit of a spark plug. Over all not a bad inning and it could have gotten out of hand.
Like I said. 2 outs going in caused that inning to fold.
9th: Nothing

Over all I'm seeing some life going on but to be perfectly honest Contreras really has not heated up and he is the heart beat of the line up. When he gets hot this line up dynamic changes.

Over all the starter controlled the game. Tip the cap.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not just the leadoff problem...

Bryant bats 2nd, so it also the 7 and 8 hitter that not getting on much either..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

He scored 111 runs. That means he was someone's RBI 82 times last year.

Honestly RBI is such a bull shit stat. Way too situational and driven by the quality of your team mates. Case in point: Russell (2016) 95 RBI's with a .239 BA. Ya having all of that OBA to pad a stat....

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He scored 111 runs. That means he was someone's RBI 82 times last year.

Honestly RBI is such a bull shit stat. Way too situational and driven by the quality of your team mates. Case in point: Russell (2016) 95 RBI's with a .239 BA. Ya having all of that OBA to pad a stat....
What??????

What does Bryant 2017 runs scored have to do with what we posted?

We were talking about the bats struggling in front of him..

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Disappointing way to start the season. Offense looks bad with Happ who had a good spring trainning is the most disappointment so far! 16ab's 10k's. :cubspalm:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What??????

What does Bryant 2017 runs scored have to do with what we posted?

We were talking about the bats struggling in front of him..

It means that he was on base to be driven in. You realize that the Cubs were 2nd only to the Rockies in the NL in team runs lat year right? and 4th in baseball over all. So batting Bryant lower in the line up really is a non factor when you think of it.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It means that he was on base to be driven in. You realize that the Cubs were 2nd only to the Rockies in the NL in team runs lat year right? and 4th in baseball over all. So batting Bryant lower in the line up really is a non factor when you think of it.

Who was on base to be driven in ?

Youre totally off of what me and Milan posted about....

Also..
I have to laugh at that runs scored stat because as we seen in these 5 games it means nothing..
cubs are 10th now in runs scored through first 5 games with 19, and theyve been shutout twice and scored 1 in another..
This is pretty much what we saw for the most part last year, especially in first half..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Who was on base to be driven in ?

Youre totally off of what me and Milan posted about....

Also..
I have to laugh at that runs scored stat because as we seen in these 5 games it means nothing..
cubs are 10th now in runs scored through first 5 games with 19, and theyve been shutout twice and scored 1 in another..
This is pretty much what we saw for the most part last year, especially in first half..

Dude they are 5 games in. That should tell you what is going on. In 5 days all of these "stats" could be flipped.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Dude they are 5 games in. That should tell you what is going on. In 5 days all of these "stats" could be flipped.
Lmao... ok

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My take right now is that they need to use Zobrist more right now. Happ also. Even though Happ's over all line is strike out heavy he is getting on base.

I personally would run:

V Left

Happ LF
Bryant
Rizzo
Contreras
Zobrist RF
Russell SS
Almora CF
Baez 2B

Now the bottom 3 would really be based off of who it hot ATM.

VS RSP
Pretty much what we have been seeing. Schwarber is fine as a 5 hitter. I would rather use Zobrist at 2B if he is healthy vs Baez though. That is if Baez is not on fire then you have to push AB's his way.

The thing is players will slump and get hot all season long. Contreras has come out cold and that is a major factor with this team. More so than most as he is your 4 hitter and is expected to pick up the OBA ahead of him. Add to it he is normally a sold OBA ahead of Schwarber and others trying to pick up pick up runs.
R

Fred Garvin

Liked Posts:
You can't just ignore the fact this team has set an all time MLB record for strikeouts in the first 5 games. Strikeouts have been an issue with this team ever since Maddon arrived. It hasn't stopped them from winning....but when other things are going wrong it can become a HUGE issue. Not hitting with RISP is a problem that has reared its head once again. Rizzo is like 3 for 25 or something to start the year....Baez can't hit....and Ian Crapp is a waste at leadoff and should be sent down. Unless we wanna live off the glory of his season leading off home run forever. Yes...that was nice. Congrats. Now get your lame azz to triple A or something.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Leadoff guy can't be a guy who just waves at pitch after pitch and K's 3 times per game.

I love Javy, and it's only 5 games, but man am I ready for him to just knock some of this crap off. Shorten your swing. Make contact. Stop trying to hit every ball 700 feet.

I see the suggestion we "play whoever is hot". I suggest we pick a friggin' lineup and use it for 4 days in a row. The lineup does not need to change every day. It's OK for one starter to beat out another for a starting job even if he's not head and shoulders above the sub. They don't need to play equal minutes. Pick a regular and let him play.

17 innings with 1 run. 18 innings with zero. This lineup is too good for that. Stop with the hero ball, "I need a HR" mentality. Get 'em on, Get 'em over, Get 'em in. Make contact. Forget the damn HR record.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I dont want them to give up on him either..
I just think if there no improvement by him and and or others, we just may see a little change..

The problem is the return. Heyward won't return anything and still will cost the team $100 million in an effort to move him.

Baez if you wait til say June July time frame will cause his value to be an organizational 20-40 type player for a return. Mind as well keep him as a lottery ticket in that case.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I see the suggestion we "play whoever is hot". I suggest we pick a friggin' lineup and use it for 4 days in a row. The lineup does not need to change every day. It's OK for one starter to beat out another for a starting job even if he's not head and shoulders above the sub. They don't need to play equal minutes. Pick a regular and let him play.
There is some merit to what you are saying, especially with players like Baez, who have been in the Bigs long enough now. If you keep playing them while they consistently fail, they don't have to change.

OTOH, the idea of how Maddon manages role players keeps them focused every day as they always have a chance if making contributions.

And let's be honest. This swing and miss and management style has made it to the NLCS 3 straight years and 1 WS Championship.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
There is some merit to what you are saying, especially with players like Baez, who have been in the Bigs long enough now. If you keep playing them while they consistently fail, they don't have to change.

OTOH, the idea of how Maddon manages role players keeps them focused every day as they always have a chance if making contributions.

And let's be honest. This swing and miss and management style has made it to the NLCS 3 straight years and 1 WS Championship.

It isn't going to change. This is a team that plays for the HR, it just is. As shitty as this start has been there are two real bright spots in Schwarber and Heyward both of whom seem to be seeing the plate much better. If you can get .380-.400 OBP out of Schwarbs and .350 out of Heyward the offense looks dramatically different.

On another note it's difficult to see tonight's game being played with the rain expected in Ohio. I don't know that it's a bad thing though.