Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville and GM Stan Bowman will return next season

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if Bowman not speaking to the press means anything...did he want Q gone? From my couch it really looks like Q and B don't agree on a lot. Stan is to blame for having such horsecrap back up goalies.

Also the Grinch appears to be in control making hockey decisions...huge mistake. Funny he made some terrible baseball decisions with the Cubs and is allowed to with the Hawks, what an incredible sports mind he is. He was reponsible for the huge blunder of a contract to Huet.

Ticket cost is high as fuck for mediocrity.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if Bowman not speaking to the press means anything...did he want Q gone? From my couch it really looks like Q and B don't agree on a lot. Stan is to blame for having such horsecrap back up goalies.

Also the Grinch appears to be in control making hockey decisions...huge mistake. Funny he made some terrible baseball decisions with the Cubs and is allowed to with the Hawks, what an incredible sports mind he is. He was reponsible for the huge blunder of a contract to Huet.

One bad season.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hillman, Duclair, Schmaltz, Debrincat, Ejdsell, Murphy, Kampf, Hino, Hayden, Martinson and Sikura. All kids 24 or less....add in Saad, Gustafsson and Oesterle who are only 25. That's 14 young players. They ARE rebuilding. They won't admit it, but they are. The problem is the players they are stuck with via bad contractual investments. Kaner is fine as is Crawford...anybody's guess with Toews but the big thing that has to happen is some of these young defensemen have to step up so Seabrook and Keith can be 5 & 6 and not 1 & 2. And of course, find a backup goalie that is actually NHL quality.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Like I mentioned in the other thread, the key to me is Q picks his staff. Lets see what changes are made. I really believe that Bowman hired Ulf as the coach in waiting and the resentment started with Keith and Seabs before Q. But how Bowman can get away with trading Panarin for even money is baffling. He set himself up as the nice guy, bring back Saad, bring back Sharp, win the locker room from Q. I dont know if Q will ever win another cup, with this or another organIzation, but this dick swinging contest between he and bowman will have to end. Easiest way was by splitting them up and I think they had a good reason to toss him this year, but he is also signed to 20-21 and it seems he will need to pony up the money to Q, bigger than 6 million to keep him here.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

Stan is to blame for having such horseshit backup goalies, but backup goalies aren't supposed to play an entire season.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Like I mentioned in the other thread, the key to me is Q picks his staff. Lets see what changes are made. I really believe that Bowman hired Ulf as the coach in waiting and the resentment started with Keith and Seabs before Q. But how Bowman can get away with trading Panarin for even money is baffling. He set himself up as the nice guy, bring back Saad, bring back Sharp, win the locker room from Q. I dont know if Q will ever win another cup, with this or another organIzation, but this dick swinging contest between he and bowman will have to end. Easiest way was by splitting them up and I think they had a good reason to toss him this year, but he is also signed to 20-21 and it seems he will need to pony up the money to Q, bigger than 6 million to keep him here.
I think bowman had too much success to early with some of the crazy deal flipping and cap shedding stuff that he thought he was invincible and any trade he made would just work out for the best because of the core. Too much faith in the core and then he got scare and started dismantling what he though were replaceable fringe pieces and it crumbled like a jenga tower.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting times ahead...

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I think bowman had too much success to early with some of the crazy deal flipping and cap shedding stuff that he thought he was invincible and any trade he made would just work out for the best because of the core. Too much faith in the core and then he got scare and started dismantling what he though were replaceable fringe pieces and it crumbled like a jenga tower.

He expects all players to accept bridge contracts to continue to play on the hawks. But then he took a guy that accepted said bridge contract and sent him to Arizona. Even though I hated Hammers inability to play the left side any more, that was the one trade that baffled me. He was locked up thru next year with a 4.1 per year hit on that bridge contract Apparently he felt he would be the next guy expecting 6 million per year for the next 20 years. He expected Murphy to fill the gap and Dauphin to be a future contributor I guess. But after Forsbergs first game in net this year, the talk was we got this great backup goalie AND Saad for breadman. Turns out Forsberg was not all he was the first game, cant stop shootout goals and had a swiss cheese defense playing in front of him with hammer gone.

Go all the way back to an incredible deal to get Leddy, then give him away, he has not made many great moves. He plugged in some players like Vermette, the second trip in for Ladd was a waste having him play forward. This year, Rutta looked great, then fell off and ended up being a healthy scratch for far too many games for a guy who was given a 2.25 million dollar deal, and its a one year deal so he will cost more if he stays here.

Either way, we saw what would have happened if they cleared space by moving Crows 6 million, so at least he did not do that, but seeing whether Crow ends up with the Toews concussion syndrome is a different story.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
He expects all players to accept bridge contracts to continue to play on the hawks. But then he took a guy that accepted said bridge contract and sent him to Arizona. Even though I hated Hammers inability to play the left side any more, that was the one trade that baffled me. He was locked up thru next year with a 4.1 per year hit on that bridge contract Apparently he felt he would be the next guy expecting 6 million per year for the next 20 years. He expected Murphy to fill the gap and Dauphin to be a future contributor I guess. But after Forsbergs first game in net this year, the talk was we got this great backup goalie AND Saad for breadman. Turns out Forsberg was not all he was the first game, cant stop shootout goals and had a swiss cheese defense playing in front of him with hammer gone.

Go all the way back to an incredible deal to get Leddy, then give him away, he has not made many great moves. He plugged in some players like Vermette, the second trip in for Ladd was a waste having him play forward. This year, Rutta looked great, then fell off and ended up being a healthy scratch for far too many games for a guy who was given a 2.25 million dollar deal, and its a one year deal so he will cost more if he stays here.

Either way, we saw what would have happened if they cleared space by moving Crows 6 million, so at least he did not do that, but seeing whether Crow ends up with the Toews concussion syndrome is a different story.

I thought the deal for Vermette was great at the time. Anisimov was a good get. Had a lot of good drafts to bring some really good players up, but then seemed to not know how to use their value properly in trades to manage the fucked up cap situation and decided to focus on getting out of cap hell over being a viable team because the core would save him and people really started to believe you could stick pylons with these guys and still win a cup.... nyet.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I thought the deal for Vermette was great at the time. Anisimov was a good get. Had a lot of good drafts to bring some really good players up, but then seemed to not know how to use their value properly in trades to manage the fucked up cap situation and decided to focus on getting out of cap hell over being a viable team because the core would save him and people really started to believe you could stick pylons with these guys and still win a cup.... nyet.

yeah, I get that, but it also did not allow a kid to earn the spot either. It worked with Vermette since they won a cup, but the following year, it was Weiss and Fleishman and that did not work and that cost Danault who is a solid player.

I just feel too much human nature in pro sports. You are the 6th drafted center getting moved to wing and then replaced or blocked by a betteran what is the future here?

We have a prettys solid team now, but its pretty much guaranteed that the 4 centers next year will not be Toews, Schmaltz, Edjsell, Kampf. Not sure if Edge is a center or wing anyway.

We usually start hearing about injuries after the season is over. Whether is concussions with Crow, leg or hip problems for KEith and Seabs, Hand again for Anisimov or something different to give us some hope of going back in this with the same team ends up making the playoffs. They built the blueprint so many are following, but most of the new print is do what the hawks did but hit people too. Dont know if that is ever happening here.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
yeah, I get that, but it also did not allow a kid to earn the spot either. It worked with Vermette since they won a cup, but the following year, it was Weiss and Fleishman and that did not work and that cost Danault who is a solid player.

I just feel too much human nature in pro sports. You are the 6th drafted center getting moved to wing and then replaced or blocked by a betteran what is the future here?

We have a prettys solid team now, but its pretty much guaranteed that the 4 centers next year will not be Toews, Schmaltz, Edjsell, Kampf. Not sure if Edge is a center or wing anyway.

We usually start hearing about injuries after the season is over. Whether is concussions with Crow, leg or hip problems for KEith and Seabs, Hand again for Anisimov or something different to give us some hope of going back in this with the same team ends up making the playoffs. They built the blueprint so many are following, but most of the new print is do what the hawks did but hit people too. Dont know if that is ever happening here.

Yeah but that goes back to my original point of Stan starting to drink his own Kool-aid. Early on he had so many things fall in place and work out well that I think he got over confident in his abilities and decided that none of it was the RNG goddess after so many years of sucking, and he was purely responsible for all of it. And as such, any move he made going forward was going to be the right move and work out because he was responsible for building a dynasty so how could he be wrong. And boy did he get taken a few times.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Well the beginning of next years news is Patrick Kane has been named the Captain of the American world team. CAt and Murphy have committed, Nick Schmaltz says he is considering playing.

Both Saad and Toews have chosen to sit out the worlds to "work on other things". Have not heard if Keith, Seabs or anyone else major were playing for Canada.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stan is to blame for having such horseshit backup goalies, but backup goalies aren't supposed to play an entire season.

Quality does cost money.

I think people 1st off need to rid themselves of the notion that Darling would have helped Even if we could afford him. Given that Carolina's D was much stronger than the 'hawks D, and Darling had a worse year than than any 'hawk goaltender playing more than 20 games since the lockout with the exception of Anderson and Khabi's 2006 campaign, it says a lot.

That being said, Crawford was good enough for 3th overall this year among Goalie SV% with 25 or more games played--pulling a .929 and tied with Lou. Only Raanta and Hutton with .930 and .931, respectively were better and both played on teams with better D than the 'hawks. That is considerable when it comes to the notion of "shit backups". If it took Crawford playing at a .929 just to keep the team at the playoff line, the backup quality is not the salient point; the team D is...and the team D sucked this year like a choir boy in the Boston Archdiocese.

Forsberg was "good enough" for a .908. Better than Crawford's 2012 campaign, but below average in all other respects. That being said Both Hutton and Raanta are positioned as guys who want to be starters, like Darling last season. So who could the 'hawks have pulled in as a backup given their cap constraints who could have actually helped? Not many. The one key fact about this past season is that Crawford masked a metric shit-tonne of issues. With him gone, the skater core's excremental play was exposed.

Backups are backups for a couple of reasons: either their new and unproven, or their proven and not good enough for the rigors of a full season. If they're proven, they're going to be paid as such (like Crawford is). Forsberg, Glass, Berube, & Delia were about how we should've expected them to be especially given their cap hit and how bad our D was. If anyone was horseshit, it was the skater core and the defensive core.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I am pretty sure Darling showed that he is a backup goalie. The question regarding Crow is his off ice mentality. Each time Rise against the machine comes to town he is hurt or some mysterious injury comes into play. Would you keep a Darling and let him split games with a better backup for the 7 million invested in the position? That just pretty much adds Crow to the untradeable list that Seabrook is on in my thinking. Seabs got the silver stick the 1000 game day, stan would show something by being able to move him now. When Crow plays, Q rides him hard. I always think what resting him more would do for his career.

But we all have to be pretty sure that Stan threw a number at Darling, like he did Panarin and Saad and his agent said no so he was gone. Maybe actually negotiating with some guys instead of take it or leave it is what Bowmans need.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am pretty sure Darling showed that he is a backup goalie. The question regarding Crow is his off ice mentality. Each time Rise against the machine comes to town he is hurt or some mysterious injury comes into play. Source? The rumor mill has this time as a snowmobile accident or post-concussion syndrome. Last I count there was only one rise-against incident--and you don't see people ragging on Toews for that one time he wrapped his car around an EL support pylon. Would you keep a Darling and let him split games with a better backup for the 7 million invested in the position? Where are you getting this number? Darling+Crawford would have been over $10M That just pretty much adds Crow to the untradeable list that Seabrook is on in my thinking. Seabs got the silver stick the 1000 game day, stan would show something by being able to move him now. When Crow plays, Q rides him hard. I always think what resting him more would do for his career. This I agree on--but the problem is not only Crawford. Keith was ridden far too hard this year and I think his numbers were in the shitter because of it.

But we all have to be pretty sure that Stan threw a number at Darling, like he did Panarin and Saad and his agent said no so he was gone. Maybe actually negotiating with some guys instead of take it or leave it is what Bowmans need.

Bowman actually did Darling right IMHO--even at the time and ex-post-facto. Darling (like Raanta this year) was poised to step into a starter's role, and would be due more money. We would have been lucky to tuck him in at 3M (which would put the goalie expenditure at 9M) given the going rate of netminders. As such I think Stan realized he's not going to get back anything valuable for Crawford--even if Crawford could be moved with his NMC+LNTC clauses. Since he couldn't move Crawford, he had to shave somewhere, so he managed to get something for Darling (A pending UFA nonetheless) and took a chance on Forsberg who looked poised to make the jump.

I think the major error Stan+Q made this year not giving Forsberg some real competition. Delia is too young and Glass/Berube are barely NHL'ers. Forsberg was all but penciled in as Crawford's de facto backup. So when Crawford went down (much like Price in 2016), the backup was thrown into the position without much driving them (Much like Condon). Couple that with a shitty D? Just look at the season. Q.E.D.

Going forward I think the same has to apply as long as Crawford remains. The 'hawks need to pull in one more NHL-level goaltender (I'd be looking at Pickard, personally) and let him/Forsberg fight it out in the offseason, and possibly split the remaining games that Crawford doesn't start--riding the hot hand, of course. Crawford is up at the end of 2020 and the G situation is just about as bleak as the D situation.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Are we all going to ignore that he said Rise Against the machine... haha