Random cubs/baseball talks

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Cincy up 3-0 on Milwaukee after 1.

Could have been a lot more, but with bases loaded and nobody out, three Reds in a row struck out..

But I'll take it - good start.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Maples back up..

Duensing on DL
Hopefully for 60 days

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Can't help but feel bad for the guy. Forced to pitch Sunday after his grandfather died and he really has not been the same since.

Other bad news, Chris Coghlan is back at Iowa to jam up the outfield again.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Other bad news, Chris Coghlan is back at Iowa to jam up the outfield again.

This makes me wonder if there a trade in the works ( happ)

Or

If their just showcasing him to move him for possible IFA money

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Damn Twins.

Led Milwaukee 5-4 in the 9th, and allowed a run in the 9th and another in the 10th.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
We need a let’s try to not suck day today Hendricks..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This makes me wonder if there a trade in the works ( happ)

Or

If their just showcasing him to move him for possible IFA money

Cog has been injured and for some reason he has been joined at the hip to Jed. I wouldn’t make too much of him. Extra bat for injury.

Happ seems like a nice trade chip but Joe loves having a younger version of Zobrist around.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Seems that Fulmer is going on the market. Show case game.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cog has been injured and for some reason he has been joined at the hip to Jed. I wouldn’t make too much of him. Extra bat for injury.

Happ seems like a nice trade chip but Joe loves having a younger version of Zobrist around.
IF there any interest in DeGrom, have to think mets would want Happ for starters

CSF77

Liked Posts:
IF there any interest in DeGrom, have to think mets would want Happ for starters

Honestly Fulmer might be a better buy. 25 yo. Kinda a down year but more team vs him.

Happ holds some value but most teams see him as a square peg. Can kinda fit a role but doesn’t excel. Then add in his SO rate that alone deprecates his value.

A good rule of thumb on value. It is when you don’t want to trade is when his value is prime. Ie Baez and Almora are the high value guys.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

You would have to blow them away for deGrom. The reference point is the Sale trade and we don't have those kinds of assets. Yes, it's 2 1/2 years of control vs 3 years for Sale but the concept is the same. I think it would take a top half farm system's 1 and 2 plus 3 other minor league players. One of the MLB Radio hosts said that any Dodgers offer for deGrom would have to start with Buehler and Verdugo and that makes sense.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You would have to blow them away for deGrom. The reference point is the Sale trade and we don't have those kinds of assets. Yes, it's 2 1/2 years of control vs 3 years for Sale but the concept is the same. I think it would take a top half farm system's 1 and 2 plus 3 other minor league players. One of the MLB Radio hosts said that any Dodgers offer for deGrom would have to start with Buehler and Verdugo and that makes sense.
I 0nly mentioned Happ because IF the Cubs do make a major trade, i think the only rostered position player theyll move is Happ or maybe Russell .

They would obviously have to add in some prospects..

Be interesting to see what they do..

Right now i look at Darvish like a 2nd half acquisition because he missed most of 1st half..
So hed be like a new SP to the rotation

I think theyll go after relievers if anything, but who knows maybe they shock us with something big..

Biggest key to the whole 2nd half and playoff success is going to be what they get out of Darvish Hendricks and Quintana going forward

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I 0nly mentioned Happ because IF the Cubs do make a major trade, i think the only rostered position player theyll move is Happ or maybe Russell .

Right now i look at Darvish like a 2nd half acquisition because he missed most of 1st half..

I think theyll go after relievers if anything, but who knows maybe they shock us with something big..

Biggest key to the whole 2nd half and playoff success is going to be what they get out of Darvish Hendricks and Quintana going forward

They don’t have a back up SS. If they had Bote down in AAA as a full time SS then I would think that Russell would be on the table.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
They don’t have a back up SS. If they had Bote down in AAA as a full time SS then I would think that Russell would be on the table.

Baez is their backup SS. Trade Russell, and Baez goes to SS permanently, while Happ and Zobrist share time at 2B. La Stella then covers your days at SS when you want to give Baez a rest, just as he covers the other infield spots for the same reason.

I think the Cubs are stronger with Russell than without, but it's not like they would have to pull up someone from AA just to have a warm body out there to play the position...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Since coming off the concussion list on May 18 Jason Heyward has slashed .324/.362/.493 and a .855 OPS and 128 wRC+ remarkably similar to Dexter Fowler's 2016 slash of .276/.393/.447 and a .840 OPS and 128 wRC+. Really the only difference is that Heyward has a better BA and Fowler had a better walk rate but otherwise those lines are nearly identical statistically. Basically Heyward, at least for the last 7 weeks, is "you go, we go" part 2.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Since coming off the concussion list on May 18 Jason Heyward has slashed .324/.362/.493 and a .855 OPS and 128 wRC+ remarkably similar to Dexter Fowler's 2016 slash of .276/.393/.447 and a .840 OPS and 128 wRC+. Really the only difference is that Heyward has a better BA and Fowler had a better walk rate but otherwise those lines are nearly identical statistically. Basically Heyward, at least for the last 7 weeks, is "you go, we go" part 2.

and today, Dexter is leaving for his wifes paternity leave, the team asked him to stay away and extend it to see if he can get his head right.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

I hope you are right, but I dont think Darvish is pitching again this year. Apparently the inflamation got him a cortisone shot and see how it feels in 5 days. Odds are, its going to still feel funny in 5 days. Maybe he will be the relief help in september and october.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
and today, Dexter is leaving for his wifes paternity leave, the team asked him to stay away and extend it to see if he can get his head right.

Mozeliak ripping Fowler in the media yesterday was one of the most low class things I’ve ever heard. Shameful.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I hope you are right, but I dont think Darvish is pitching again this year. Apparently the inflamation got him a cortisone shot and see how it feels in 5 days. Odds are, its going to still feel funny in 5 days. Maybe he will be the relief help in september and october.
If Darvish cant pitch this year, pretty much forget making a WS run unless they trade for a top starter..

I just dont have confidence in what were seeing from Hendricks and Quintana matching up against other playoff team top guys..

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
If Darvish cant pitch this year, pretty much forget making a WS run unless they trade for a top starter..

I just dont have confidence in what were seeing from Hendricks and Quintana matching up against other playoff team top guys..

I don't think they'd need a top starter with a healthy bullpen, but they would need a starter to start a game 4. I'd be OK with Lester, Q, an improved Hendricks and pitcher X. JA Happ is a thought. Still it would be much better if Darvish comes back.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't think they'd need a top starter with a healthy bullpen, but they would need a starter to start a game 4. I'd be OK with Lester, Q, an improved Hendricks and pitcher X. JA Happ is a thought. Still it would be much better if Darvish comes back.
Like i said earlier, they need Hendricks and Quintana to step it up now..
Without Darvish even more so