Random cubs/baseball talks

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He was DFA'd because he refused a minor league assignment.....era out of the Mets pen was over 10.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He Boras. You would figure that they would hold out for a major league deal while he works it out on a independent team at this point. Minor league deals tend to be the death of players

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Matt Harvey got released by mets..

Dont quite know his whole story of his downfall, as far as Injuries or stuff..
But
If he willing, why not pick him up and work him out of pen in Iowa and see if he can be useful as a bullpen guy later in season

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Tommy John, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, and a host of other dings. He's done.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Is Jorge Soler turning into a good player?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Is Jorge Soler turning into a good player?

I guess that would depend upon your point of view. I mean at the moment, it looks that way....but moments are fleeting for Jorge. Did you know that it's May 7 and he already has more AB's than he had in all of 2017? That's the thing with him....for awhile he'll look like a "can't miss" MLB player and next "moment" he's on the DL. I've always loved the guy's swing but it's damn hard to swing a bat when you're on crutches.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I guess that would depend upon your point of view. I mean at the moment, it looks that way....but moments are fleeting for Jorge. Did you know that it's May 7 and he already has more AB's than he had in all of 2017? That's the thing with him....for awhile he'll look like a "can't miss" MLB player and next "moment" he's on the DL. I've always loved the guy's swing but it's damn hard to swing a bat when you're on crutches.

I always had two concerns with Soler, the first being what seemed to be a not quite 100% work ethic and the second being the soft tissue injuries. I can absolutely buy that guys grow up and their work ethic improves, I mean we're all young assholes at some point. The soft tissue injuries though will always be a concern until he strings together a few injury free or nearly injury free seasons. Good for him though. He's a gifted player.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Mike Trout is already at 3.0 WAR and we're not even 40 games into the season. He's literally on pace for one of the best seasons in history, if not the best (1923 Ruth @ 15.0 WAR). He's already the third-best player in history through his age 26 season, and will almost certainly move into second place by the time he turns 27 in August. You can't not be in awe of the guy.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Half the forum has mentioned this obvious potential deal.
When i origionally brought it up i was told it would never go anywhere, that Epstein wouldn't do it..
And it would never come to light

It now starting to warm up a little

I also found this

http://www.bleachernation.com/2018/...-manny-machado-and-or-signing-in-free-agency/

To be sure, my gut says that there would need to be some special permission to (1) lock in a $300+ million contract (on Machado or, for example, Bryce Harper) and (2) exceed the luxury tax cap, but I also think that as revenues continue to explode for the Cubs, the Ricketts Family will be increasingly amenable to the direction of the front office. You don’t get too many chances to add a 26-year-old superstar talent for only money, and I expect the Cubs

DanTown

Liked Posts:
The Cubs aren't a player away, even of Machado's talent, to justify the expense of the future years. You do what, maybe take your WS chances currently at 9%, take them to say 10% at best but then what of the future WS chances Russell would contribute to?

Sign Harper, bat him leadoff

Harper
Bryant
Rizzo
Contreras
Schwarber
Baez
Heyward
P
Russell

Works perfectly.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The Cubs aren't a player away, even of Machado's talent, to justify the expense of the future years. You do what, maybe take your WS chances currently at 9%, take them to say 10% at best but then what of the future WS chances Russell would contribute to?

Sign Harper, bat him leadoff

Harper
Bryant
Rizzo
Contreras
Schwarber
Baez
Heyward
P
Russell

Works perfectly.
Here you go..

https://twitter.com/suntimes_sports/status/993916612930613249?s=19

Should always look to upgrade your team when that window is open..

Worry about future in the future..
Epstein and Hoyer are looking to win now, they might not even be around in 5 + years to be concerned about "future years" of the organization

If they do agree to a deal. Wouldn't surprise me if Adam Jones was a part of it to

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Here you go..

https://twitter.com/suntimes_sports/status/993916612930613249?s=19

Should always look to upgrade your team when that window is open..

Worry about future in the future..
Epstein and Hoyer are looking to win now, they might not even be around in 5 + years to be concerned about "future years" of the organization

If they do agree to a deal. Wouldn't surprise me if Adam Jones was a part of it to

Curious as to the sources. I don't believe it for a minute.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I guess when it comes to Machado it's all going to come down to market and who is making the decisions. I was listening to MLB Radio this morning and it looks almost certain the Dan Duquette will be let go before the draft, and that most decisions are already being made by Luis and John Angelos and Brady Anderson and have been since last winter. Then there's the market which might not be the competitive market they hope it is. The obvious fit is in LA but you'd be talking seriously derailing a plan that looks to have them competing for a World Series for 5-6 years by getting under the tax threshold and then spending next year. Machado would put them over the threshold and the idea that they're a WS contender in 2018 in is spurious at best. Andrew Friedman and his team of ex-GMs are smarter than that. The next obvious fits are the two upstarts in the NL East in Philly and Atlanta. Philly really doesn't look like a playoff team and they could easily get into a bidding war for Machado (or Harper) in the offseason. Atlanta does look to be for real but they're using Jose Bautista as a stopgap at 3B to see if Austin Riley is ready. Riley was promoted to AAA yesterday after tearing up AA pitching since last year. If Riley is ready no way does Atlanta make that move because while they have a silly amount of resources and assets in the minor leagues they also need a veteran starter. After that the filed looks thin. Maybe the Cardinals get involved but it would cost them one of their young starters and I doubt they'd try to sign Machado in the offseason. Peter Angelos would rather die than trade with the Yankees So then you get to the Cubs. Basically if there's zero market I can see Theo and company taking advantage of that, but that's an awful lot of ifs. The Sun-Times Tweet says "talks" and I would assume they're talking to everyone about everyone that might be available. That's simply due diligence. To me the overwhelming favorite is Atlanta until and unless they decide they're not interested.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I guess when it comes to Machado it's all going to come down to market and who is making the decisions. I was listening to MLB Radio this morning and it looks almost certain the Dan Duquette will be let go before the draft, and that most decisions are already being made by Luis and John Angelos and Brady Anderson and have been since last winter. Then there's the market which might not be the competitive market they hope it is. The obvious fit is in LA but you'd be talking seriously derailing a plan that looks to have them competing for a World Series for 5-6 years by getting under the tax threshold and then spending next year. Machado would put them over the threshold and the idea that they're a WS contender in 2018 in is spurious at best. Andrew Friedman and his team of ex-GMs are smarter than that. The next obvious fits are the two upstarts in the NL East in Philly and Atlanta. Philly really doesn't look like a playoff team and they could easily get into a bidding war for Machado (or Harper) in the offseason. Atlanta does look to be for real but they're using Jose Bautista as a stopgap at 3B to see if Austin Riley is ready. Riley was promoted to AAA yesterday after tearing up AA pitching since last year. If Riley is ready no way does Atlanta make that move because while they have a silly amount of resources and assets in the minor leagues they also need a veteran starter. After that the filed looks thin. Maybe the Cardinals get involved but it would cost them one of their young starters and I doubt they'd try to sign Machado in the offseason. Peter Angelos would rather die than trade with the Yankees So then you get to the Cubs. Basically if there's zero market I can see Theo and company taking advantage of that, but that's an awful lot of ifs. The Sun-Times Tweet says "talks" and I would assume they're talking to everyone about everyone that might be available. That's simply due diligence. To me the overwhelming favorite is Atlanta until and unless they decide they're not interested.
I agree the Braves probably have the most to offer for Machado..

Here my hope...

Not that they'll take significantly less from the Cubs to make a deal or he'll choose the cubs but hopefully Orioles management gives Machado a choice of where he wants to go as long as the value in return is good.

At least if he has that opportunity and wants to play here, it gives the Cubs better odds of landing him as long as the deal is fair..

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Why would the Orioles give Machado the choice of where to go? He is not a 15 year vet that has demonstrated great loyalty to the team