Random cubs/baseball talks

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Nevertheless, the claims do establish a timeline and process for determining whether or not these particular players will be dealt. Harper reportedly hit the wire on Friday, at the same time as Murphy and several other (then-unnamed) Nats players. It’s certainly possible, then, that these three situations will be resolved early this afternoon. Any players placed on waivers on Friday would be due for a decision today.

With regard to each player, the Nats can either work out a trade, revoke the claim, or allow the player to go to the claiming team for no compensation. As the D.C. organization continues to stare at a yawning gap in the NL East race, it clearly faces some difficult decisions.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think it is case by case for them.

Harper is worth the QO so it stands at 18 mil. That is what Harper’s value is.

The rest honestly they might just let go of in general just to rid payroll. The risk of a failed negation is high in most cases.

Harper is worth Happ strait on both sides for the Cubs and Nats. Cubs then could push for the WS as the clear fav and that weight pushes for a offseason negotiation. We already know that CHC is the preferred spot.

But in general I just don’t see it getting that far. Harper maybe not a perfect storm for most teams but blocking the Cubs makes it mandatory and Harper in general Merritts it

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Murphy to Cubs per mlb.com

We gave up infielder Andruw Monasterio

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Do you think this means Russell may play less (Baez to SS) or will Murphy be moved around? How much experience does Murphy have at 3b?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well the memory from 2015 must still be fresh.

That said: I do not dislike the deal and pro hitters are welcome.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The question is does this point to KB being done for the year?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Do you think this means Russell may play less (Baez to SS) or will Murphy be moved around? How much experience does Murphy have at 3b?
I think for now, it let them DL Russell to give that finger rest...

Bryant taking BP today, so if all goes well, guessing a couple rehab games and he'll be back this weekend or Monday..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Harper, who’ll qualify for the open market at season’s end, had evidently been claimed by the Dodgers, per Grant Paulsen of MLB Network Radio (via Twitter). But he won’t be following Manny Machado in making a mid-season, pre-free agency move from the Mid-Atlantic to Los Angeles.

Having failed to work out a deal with the Dodgers, the Nationals revoked the waiver request rather than letting Harper walk for nothing. That means that the Nats will still be on the hook for nearly $5MM of salary between now and the end of the season.

To be sure, Harper could in theory be placed on waivers again later this month. But that’d almost certainly mean losing a franchise player for no compensation other than salary relief — an outcome the team just rejected by pulling him back today. Instead, the Nationals surely plan to issue Harper a qualifying offer, setting the stage for draft compensation if he does not end up reaching a new deal to remain in D.C.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think for now, it let them DL Russell to give that finger rest...

Bryant taking BP today, so if all goes well, guessing a couple rehab games and he'll be back this weekend or Monday..

Knowing Joe this opens up more options. I’m wondering who gets demoted though

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The question is does this point to KB being done for the year?
No, he taking BP today..

I think this move had more to do with Russell , his finger and anemic offense

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kinda figured the Dodgers blocked the Cubs with Harper. No way were they giving to NL away like that. Murphy is a nice chip but that was a trump card.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck Daniel Murphy! That said, a power hitting lefty is always welcomed. Dude has been his old self for awhile now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
well, at least he wont destroy us in the post season again, or maybe he will.

He was still owed 4 million this year, wonder where all the tax pundits stand on this, or if we are at the point where they should have spent it already.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
re: all this talk, it's entirely plausible that Russell may go to the DL but if he doesn't you could just as easily move Baez to 3B assuming Bryant is out for awhile. Overall, if you like Murphy as a hitter it was a pretty cheap get.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
well, at least he wont destroy us in the post season again, or maybe he will.

He was still owed 4 million this year, wonder where all the tax pundits stand on this, or if we are at the point where they should have spent it already.

The cubs had a lot of cap space(relatively) to add and texas ate a bunch of Hamels deal. I'm strongly doubting it matters re: luxury tax.