Random cubs/baseball talks

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Does Machado have any trade veto clauses in his contract? Such that he could accept a trade only to a club he wants to play for?

I would think that, looking at overall talent, etc., he'd want to go to a contender. And even though Atlanta is interesting, they don't have the pitching to get to the Big Dance this year, I don't believe. No matter how much they might improve their offense. I suspect the same is true for Philly.

That said, I'm not sure the Cubs are the best contender for his to be considering. Hard o say, but there are a couple of other teams who could likely improve their post-season odds more by acquiring him than the Cubs would.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Machado is far too young to have any of those protections in his contract

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Does Machado have any trade veto clauses in his contract? Such that he could accept a trade only to a club he wants to play for?

I would think that, looking at overall talent, etc., he'd want to go to a contender. And even though Atlanta is interesting, they don't have the pitching to get to the Big Dance this year, I don't believe. No matter how much they might improve their offense. I suspect the same is true for Philly.

That said, I'm not sure the Cubs are the best contender for his to be considering. Hard o say, but there are a couple of other teams who could likely improve their post-season odds more by acquiring him than the Cubs would.
No he has no clauses...
I was just throwing it out there that Maybe because of his status with team and being with them for 7 years that Maybe management would extend the courtesy to him of a choice of team...
Not saying they'd trade him to any team he'd pick or take any garbage offers to appease him, just maybe if he had a preference , Orioles might try and work out a fair deal with that team first.
Of course my hope is that team would be the Cubs...

As far as him preferring other contending teams then the Cubs..
Without looking, im not sure which other contending teams need an upgrade at SS, can fit his remaining salary in their budget, or would risk prospects (MLB players) for a possible rental..
Cubs could do all 3

Plus the one intangible thing the Cubs have that no other teams have, is that childhood best friend in which they both shared a dream of playing together on same MLB team..
Alberto Almora

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
The Orioles dont give 2 shits about a player that has zero intention of resigning with them. Where do you come up with this stuff?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Machado is on a rookie deal. He didn't sign any kind of extension on it which is why he will be a FA. I don't think many teams make much sense for Machado unless you're literally buying him as a rental. For example, if you're atlanta why are you giving up long term assets on a guy you can't pay? The only reason you do that is if you are so good that you think you legit have all the pieces in 2018 and he can win you the WS a la Chapman to the cubs in 2016.

Based on fangraph's projections I don't think the AL teams make much sense. Baltimore wouldn't want to trade in division. And Houston has bregman/Correa. Cleveland isn't a huge market and has Jose Ramirez/Lindor. Maybe there's an argument for LAA but seems thin plus I'm not sure they have the parts to pull off a deal. In the NL, I think it comes down to 4 teams, STL, LAD, WAS, and the cubs. Maybe you argue ARI has the need but IDK if they have the players to get him unless he's super cheap.

Of those, I think LAD are in a pretty bad position because they don't need him in july, they need him NOW. They don't get him by mid june they might not even be in the playoff picture(16-20 right now with Seager and Kershaw down). STL and WAS are interesting to me though. WAS seems like the most obvious case for "hey we really need to win THIS year" because harper may ditch them and in theory if they do get him they might be able to replace Harper with him by signing him long term. STL really needs a power bat for the middle of their line up.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Machado is on a rookie deal. He didn't sign any kind of extension on it which is why he will be a FA. I don't think many teams make much sense for Machado unless you're literally buying him as a rental. For example, if you're atlanta why are you giving up long term assets on a guy you can't pay? The only reason you do that is if you are so good that you think you legit have all the pieces in 2018 and he can win you the WS a la Chapman to the cubs in 2016.

Based on fangraph's projections I don't think the AL teams make much sense. Baltimore wouldn't want to trade in division. And Houston has bregman/Correa. Cleveland isn't a huge market and has Jose Ramirez/Lindor. Maybe there's an argument for LAA but seems thin plus I'm not sure they have the parts to pull off a deal. In the NL, I think it comes down to 4 teams, STL, LAD, WAS, and the cubs. Maybe you argue ARI has the need but IDK if they have the players to get him unless he's super cheap.

Of those, I think LAD are in a pretty bad position because they don't need him in july, they need him NOW. They don't get him by mid june they might not even be in the playoff picture(16-20 right now with Seager and Kershaw down). STL and WAS are interesting to me though. WAS seems like the most obvious case for "hey we really need to win THIS year" because harper may ditch them and in theory if they do get him they might be able to replace Harper with him by signing him long term. STL really needs a power bat for the middle of their line up.

Atlanta can pay him, but by all accounts it's Harper that they're going to pursue hard in FA. Having a young core of Albies, Acuna and Austin Riley along with Foltenewicz, Newcomb and Soroka in the rotation while still having five 55 grade starting pitching prospects still in the minors gives you a lot of options. Their said to be able to go up to a $150 mil in payroll, they're at $119 mil this year with over $50 mil coming off the books for 2019. Basically they can afford whoever they want. The issue with Machado for them is how much are they willing to give up for a rental, because they almost certainly won't pursue him in FA. If I'm Atlanta I'd be more interested in trading for a TOR pitcher . Michael Fulmer would make a lot of sense for them.

You're right though teh trade market for Machado isn't huge. If Philly is still making noise they could make sense but they don't have as deep a system as Atlanta does. They're going to be in on him in FA but it's a stretch to think they'll go after him in July. To me the two frontrunners for a trade would be St. Louis and Atlanta.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Atlanta can pay him, but by all accounts it's Harper that they're going to pursue hard in FA. Having a young core of Albies, Acuna and Austin Riley along with Foltenewicz, Newcomb and Soroka in the rotation while still having five 55 grade starting pitching prospects still in the minors gives you a lot of options. Their said to be able to go up to a $150 mil in payroll, they're at $119 mil this year with over $50 mil coming off the books for 2019. Basically they can afford whoever they want. The issue with Machado for them is how much are they willing to give up for a rental, because they almost certainly won't pursue him in FA. If I'm Atlanta I'd be more interested in trading for a TOR pitcher . Michael Fulmer would make a lot of sense for them.

You're right though teh trade market for Machado isn't huge. If Philly is still making noise they could make sense but they don't have as deep a system as Atlanta does. They're going to be in on him in FA but it's a stretch to think they'll go after him in July. To me the two frontrunners for a trade would be St. Louis and Atlanta.

I don't agree on Atlanta. Like why do you assume they can afford him? Atlanta has never had an opening day payroll more than $122,603,054(2017). They entered 2018 at $118,284,851. They are losing $22.5 mil between Markakis and McCarthy but they also have 9 players entering a higher level of arbitration. Even if you conservatively say those guys get $1.5-2 mil more that's most of the difference in savings.

I just don't see where they are saving $30 mil or whatever you think Machado is worth and I see no reason that they are suddenly go from a $120 mil payroll to $150 mil.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I don't agree on Atlanta. Like why do you assume they can afford him? Atlanta has never had an opening day payroll more than $122,603,054(2017). They entered 2018 at $118,284,851. They are losing $22.5 mil between Markakis and McCarthy but they also have 9 players entering a higher level of arbitration. Even if you conservatively say those guys get $1.5-2 mil more that's most of the difference in savings.

I just don't see where they are saving $30 mil or whatever you think Machado is worth and I see no reason that they are suddenly go from a $120 mil payroll to $150 mil.

The Adrian Gonzales money also comes off the books at about 16 mil. I had thought the Kazmir money came off too but it doesn't. Again, most expect them to pursue Harper in FA and there shouldn't be any reason why they shouldn't. They may have never gone over that $122 mil mark but they also haven't contended since moving into the new stadium. I was listening to and interview Atlanta beat writer DAvid O' Brian recently and he said that upon taking the job that Anthopulos was told he could go up to about $150 mil and that he fully believed that Harper would be their clear target. Of course The Dodgers, Phillies and maybe the Cubs could be in on Harper too but I'm just relaying what I've heard and it makes perfect sense to me.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Team that should target a trade for Machado is the W. Sox. Jimenez should be close this year and their window opens. At that point work a extend with him and target Harper. Then move Eloy to LF.

Just saying. That team is stacked with the talent Balt needs as a return and the Sox have payroll flex

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Team that should target a trade for Machado is the W. Sox. Jimenez should be close this year and their window opens. At that point work a extend with him and target Harper. Then move Eloy to LF.

Just saying. That team is stacked with the talent Balt needs as a return and the Sox have payroll flex

Why trade for him though? Why not sign him in FA if that's the theory? That all said I don't think they're that close. I think 2020 is more likely, but you could still make the case for signing him. I can't see the White Sox ponying up close to $300 mil though. The Phillies seem to be the best signing fit. They have just under $70 mil committed for 2019 and have indicated they're going to go back to spending like they used to.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Why trade for him though? Why not sign him in FA if that's the theory? That all said I don't think they're that close. I think 2020 is more likely, but you could still make the case for signing him. I can't see the White Sox ponying up close to $300 mil though. The Phillies seem to be the best signing fit. They have just under $70 mil committed for 2019 and have indicated they're going to go back to spending like they used to.

Get him in and see what is happening. See if he wants to be long term. Basically test the waters.

Even then if they push for Harper having Machado in the equation makes plenty of sense.

The thing is the Sox are right now 2014 Cubs. Cubs made a splash with Lester and set the wheel in motion. Sox have been copying Theo on building from with in but when that core is ready they need vets. They have pitching so the impact F/A comes on the field.

I think it would be a smart baseball move that puts leverage onto the offseason.

Add to that: they really don’t need to draft to get better anymore. Trading for Manny adds wins this year and can open up a window of opertunity to promote this year of guys that are long term and close. If they make some noise it should buy F/A weight. As these guys are going to want to be on teams that are heading in the right direction vs looking for a payday.

AL Central is the weakest division in baseball and is ripe for a move like this.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Why would sox trade all their young talent for a rental and no chance of winning this year or next..
Plus
Absoluty no way the sox open up the books and pay both or one of Machado or Harper now..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The thing is the Sox are right now 2014 Cubs. Cubs made a splash with Lester and set the wheel in motion. Sox have been copying Theo on building from with in but when that core is ready they need vets. They have pitching so the impact F/A comes on the field.

Sox are not a year away from the playoffs or even playoff contention..

Yolmer Sanchez right now is the only player that actually taken a step forward of the position players..

Moncada and Anderson are still potentials with question marks..

Abreu is average now and he 31

There no other position players on current roster that id hang my hat on right now going forward..

Pitching wise..

Reynoldo Lopez is the only one that looks decent going forward on the current roster..

Giolito and Fullmer still have a way to go...

As far as what their system has..

Jiminez still in AA,he'll probably come up at some point next year after some time in AAA but his first full year probably dont come til 2020..

Kopech maybe starts with them next year but until he pitches in majors he a question mark..

Other then these two who are the best they have, it a wait and see with anyone else in system with most likely earliest arrival of 2020..

So, IMO I just dont see the Sox having all this young talent that ready to blossom in next year or two right now.

Kopec

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Saw two things on Comcast this morning, Third base prospect Burger tore his Achilles again, hurt it 10 weeks ago just walking. They say Eloy will definitely get time in AAA as well. Just wonder who ends up sticking from these guys people are excited about.

Kopec is all about keeping him from getting any service time.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Saw two things on Comcast this morning, Third base prospect Burger tore his Achilles again, hurt it 10 weeks ago just walking. They say Eloy will definitely get time in AAA as well. Just wonder who ends up sticking from these guys people are excited about.

Kopec is all about keeping him from getting any service time.

Last I heard this was called the "Cubs Forum".......

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sox are not a year away from the playoffs or even playoff contention..

Yolmer Sanchez right now is the only player that actually taken a step forward of the position players..

Moncada and Anderson are still potentials with question marks..

Abreu is average now and he 31

There no other position players on current roster that id hang my hat on right now going forward..

Pitching wise..

Reynoldo Lopez is the only one that looks decent going forward on the current roster..

Giolito and Fullmer still have a way to go...

As far as what their system has..

Jiminez still in AA,he'll probably come up at some point next year after some time in AAA but his first full year probably dont come til 2020..

Kopech maybe starts with them next year but until he pitches in majors he a question mark..

Other then these two who are the best they have, it a wait and see with anyone else in system with most likely earliest arrival of 2020..

So, IMO I just dont see the Sox having all this young talent that ready to blossom in next year or two right now.

Kopec

Eloy Jimenez: .346/.375/.704 AA I would expect a promotion soon with him to AAA. Sept call up would not be a stretch right now.

Michael Kopech: AAA Holding hitters to a .208 BA with a 1.17 WHIP Honestly they could call him up right now. He will become the staff ace.

Alec Hansen: Injured in spring but should be at AAA when he gets off the DL. Pretty much another TOR that led the minors last year in strike outs.

On the team:

Lucas Giolito: Not sure if he will ever take the next step but the talent is there. I would look at him ending up a MOR honestly at this point.

Reynaldo Starling López: Another hot arm in thier system Which is translating at the major league level. He is a 2-3 when the staff jells.

Fulmer: I don't buy into him myself. They have the depth upwelling to push guys like this off.

Shields: Just filling a roster spot right now. But he has a 2 mil buyout which will get pulled this off season.

DL: Carlos Rondon: May 2, 2018 at 12:36 AM ET Rodon close to starting rehab assignment

On the field:

3B: Yolmer Carlos Sánchez: .302/.338/.791 SH. Like him honestly.
SS: Tim Anderson: .266/.297/.759 Got some wheels but I personally would center a Machado deal around him.
2B: Moncada: .263/.359/.509 This guy is the main bait for Manny. DP partner for years. .263/.359/.509 Legit lead off.

On Abeu: .271/.340/.488 Well that really doesn't suck right now. They could do worse honestly.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Eloy Jimenez: .346/.375/.704 AA I would expect a promotion soon with him to AAA. Sept call up would not be a stretch right now.

Michael Kopech: AAA Holding hitters to a .208 BA with a 1.17 WHIP Honestly they could call him up right now. He will become the staff ace.

Alec Hansen: Injured in spring but should be at AAA when he gets off the DL. Pretty much another TOR that led the minors last year in strike outs.

On the team:

Lucas Giolito: Not sure if he will ever take the next step but the talent is there. I would look at him ending up a MOR honestly at this point.

Reynaldo Starling López: Another hot arm in thier system Which is translating at the major league level. He is a 2-3 when the staff jells.

Fulmer: I don't buy into him myself. They have the depth upwelling to push guys like this off.

Shields: Just filling a roster spot right now. But he has a 2 mil buyout which will get pulled this off season.

DL: Carlos Rondon: May 2, 2018 at 12:36 AM ET Rodon close to starting rehab assignment

On the field:

3B: Yolmer Carlos Sánchez: .302/.338/.791 SH. Like him honestly.
SS: Tim Anderson: .266/.297/.759 Got some wheels but I personally would center a Machado deal around him.
2B: Moncada: .263/.359/.509 This guy is the main bait for Manny. DP partner for years. .263/.359/.509 Legit lead off.

On Abeu: .271/.340/.488 Well that really doesn't suck right now. They could do worse honestly.

You gave me nothing that suggests their close ...

I doubt they bring Jiminez or Kopech up in a loss year to start their clocks..
Earliest would be May/June next year..

Rest is what i said they were

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lets look in theory:

2019 payroll: 10 mil on the books. Abreu on his last year. 16 mil would be expected.
Castillo is fine at catcher for 7.25 mil Outside of that it is just arb cases.

Say they sign Harper for RF and do a deal to get Manny then hit him at 25 mil. What is that 50 mil tied up in 2 guys. The thing is they could sign both.

Garcia, Avisail is the RF. Harper moves to CF with Jimenez at LF.

Next year rotation looks like: Rondon/Lopez/Kopech Then Hanson battling Fulmer and Giolito.

Honestly a line up could look like:

Moncada 2B
Sanchez 3B
Machado SS
Harper CF
Abreu 1B
Jiminez LF
Davidson DH
Garcia RF
Castillo C

It would actually work.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You gave me nothing that suggests their close ...

I doubt they bring Jiminez or Kopech up in a loss year to start their clocks..
Earliest would be May/June next year..

Rest is what i said they were

Right now. No way you start their clocks. But if they did pull a trade to get Manny. Yes you do.

Right now they have Shields and Lopez in the rotation. Rondon should be back in June. That is when I'm expecting Hanson off the DL in AAA. At that point you promote Kopech and bring both him and Rondon into the rotation.

Rotation then:

Rondon/Lopez/Shields/Kopech and either Giolito or Fulmer. Other goes to the pen. At that point Jiminez gets a promote to AAA.

Again in theory this is due to a successful trade to get Manny. If not then wait until Sept.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Right now. No way you start their clocks. But if they did pull a trade to get Manny. Yes you do.

Right now they have Shields and Lopez in the rotation. Rondon should be back in June. That is when I'm expecting Hanson off the DL in AAA. At that point you promote Kopech and bring both him and Rondon into the rotation.

Rotation then:

Rondon/Lopez/Shields/Kopech and either Giolito or Fulmer. Other goes to the pen. At that point Jiminez gets a promote to AAA.

Again in theory this is due to a successful trade to get Manny. If not then wait until Sept.
Their not trading prospects now to rent Machado and hope he resigns with them..
And
There no way Reinsdorf spends 30 Mil per on Machado when they aren't even close to contending now and really dont even have any idea now where any of these young players are headed.

The team they have on the field now is a 100+ loss team, they have maybe a handful of players that will probably be on the roster in 2020..

Their not that 1 big free agent signing away from being a competitive team right now